Would solo top Taric be viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themaddscientist

09-26-2012

I know Taric isn't often thought of as anything but a support courtesy of his heal and innate armor buff on his W, but could he also make a decent solo top? He has innate sustain courtesy of his heal and passive, and can turn into an awesome tank as the game progresses. He also has good ap scaling, so if he had to he could become a bursty off-tank if he had to. I can see him getting out-ranged by just about anyone since his only CC is a single-target stun, but would he be viable for the top role?

t3hep1cf47m4n

09-26-2012

play a game and find out, much easier to find out the viability of something by actually PLAYTESTING that way rather than reading if it does or does not.

Artifictional

09-26-2012

In my experience, no
He cannot trade hard enough to 1v1 the likes of rumble, jayce, darius, mid game vlad, akali, and such
But, i suggest you give it a try in a handful of NORMAL games to judge for yourself whether you believe it is viable enough

nwsm

09-26-2012

My friend and I tried this, since all of his spells I believe scale off ad, plus there's his passive. It was decent, but mobility was a problem.

Jesot

09-26-2012

It's tough to get the right build for him, but he can work in some situations. I tried it against boys once, but my build wasn't super duper. I'll probably come up with something else and try it again.

The problem is that his passive is kind of worthless as a tanky ap, so you're still mana starved. And why bother with ad? His base damage sucks.

He needs chalice early.

t3hep1cf47m4n

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesot View Post
It's tough to get the right build for him, but he can work in some situations. I tried it against boys once, but my build wasn't super duper. I'll probably come up with something else and try it again.

The problem is that his passive is kind of worthless as a tanky ap, so you're still mana starved. And why bother with ad? His base damage sucks.

He needs chalice early.

atleast do some research

Lord Puppy Fury

09-26-2012

I could see it working as a very situational counter. Leveling his W first can really shut down the damage from an AD champion. Against a bully AD champ I can see Taric at least not getting forced out of lane and being able to stall them, but I don't think he could shut them down on his own. I could see solo top Taric working with a strong damage champ like Nocturne in the jungle. Taric stuns and then Nocturne pops out of the brush for the gank kill.

At the end of the day though, I think there are usually going to be better options.

Epictues

09-26-2012

buy
1 Dorans Ring
2 Dorans Ring
3 cloth armor
4 ruby crystal
5 nashors tooth
6 sheen
7 upgrade items to aegeis of legion
8 rod of ages

with of course boots added in there. sheen is optional, abysmal scepter could also be nice.

the key to this build is nashors tooth. the attack speed re sets the cast timer on his heals and replenishes his mana, in addition it offers ability power and cool down reduction. ive out tanked a sion np with this engine goin, of course the sion could have been bad; never tried this in a top lane or ranked.

I would only try this is your bottom lane is a kill lane; because top lane is usually expected to be able to carry the game; and no way taric is carrying a game.

t3hep1cf47m4n

09-26-2012

top lane isn't the carry, top lane is generally a tanky AD(EG: darius, nasus, yorick) / AP( EG: vlad, diana), which Taric can defintely fulfill pretty adequately in either role.

bot is the AD carry and mid is the AP carry.

Lethadind

09-26-2012

I've seen Taric do mid quite effectively, but I've never seen him do top. He has a pretty beastly skillset for shutting people down, and he's not terribly mana-starved either.

I think the biggest issue you'd run into is people raging at you, to be honest. People have a hard time understanding that just because they "haven't seen it before" doesn't mean "it won't work."

It may be effective simply because they wouldn't expect it, and wouldn't really know how to counter it.