Some Rules to be a Positive Player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nevrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

I will admit that months and months ago, I displayed some negative player behaviors.

I would sometimes insult my teammates, calling them useless, and speak out in all chat about how I dislike my team.

That's about the worst I got, but I still contributed to a negative player experience for those people, and after having a lot of negative experiences myself, I decided to commit to being a positive player and to having a friendlier attitude.

In doing this, I came up with some rules for myself that I'd like to share with everyone.

1. The Monopoly Rule for Attitude

Always ask yourself, "if I were playing monopoly and acting this way, what would the people I'm playing with think?"

Monopoly is a game intended to be fun, just like League of Legends. The biggest difference is that people don't often play Monopoly with people outside their family and social circles. So, what would those in your family and social circles think about the way you're acting?

Being a defeatist only makes the game less enjoyable for other people. "Oh, you got Park Place and Boardwalk, this game may as well be over." You're now admitting that you're having a negative experience, but what's more, you're making excuses to have that negative experience- being behind a bit, or even a lot, doesn't mean that the game can't swing in your favor. If you play like you're expecting to lose, you're creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Additionally, by verbalizing your displeasure, you're making the game less enjoyable for everyone else. Because games are often social experiences, knowing someone in that experience is having a bad time makes your experience worse, because you feel bad for doing better than them, and you feel bad that the other person is not having a good time. Everyone should be having fun in a game made for entertainment.

Being insulting is just as bad. When someone makes a bad play in Monopoly, would you call them out on it, keep bringing it up, and verbally abuse them over it? "You're getting the RAILROADS? Those are so terrible! You must have Down's Syndrome. You should just walk away from the table you imbecile." What kind of a person does that to their friends and family? You're making their experience extremely negative, and not only will they resent you for it, they will begin to immediately stop enjoying the game. One of the absolute worst things you can do to a person is to make them not enjoy something they formerly loved. The actor who played Anakin Skywalker in Phantom Menace was harassed by all his acquaintances in school so much that he actually destroyed all of his Star Wars toys and movies, and has abstained from anything relating to it ever since. That's monstrous. Don't be a monster.

The Enemies are the Enemy Team

There is nothing that innately makes you want to defeat the enemy team in League of Legends beyond them being the enemy team. It's a good-spirited competition at the beginning of every match. If you insult your teammates, you're making yourself more of a target than the enemy team. Now whoever on your team that you've verbally abused is more interested in your defeat than your opponents', because they have an actual REASON to not like you.

Be Honest About Failure
The more you try something, the more likely you are to have failed at it a few times. If you want to hold other people accountable for failure, you must first hold yourself more accountable than them. Do NOT make excuses. Do not blame others for your own bad decision making. Do not blame the game's mechanics that Riot has been balancing for years and years so that they're as fair as possible. Blame yourself. Blame yourself hard. Let the rest of the people on the team know that you're aware of your failure and don't want to make the same mistake again. Be your own harshest critic. It takes power away from those on your team who have a negative attitude and want to harass you in order to burn off their own frustration with your mistakes. And it lets the team know that you can be dependable and are actively trying to improve without thrashing out at them for your own frustration.

Be Constructively Critical, Not Judgmental

"You might survive longer if you build some magic resist fast" is more likely to net your team a win than "You don't know how to tank you useless noob." If you want to win, you don't want your teammates to feel bad about failing, you want them to know what they might do to improve. If your advice can improve someone's playstyle, they can immediately start doing their job better, which is what you want- a better teammate and a more coordinated team. Don't be harsh when offering constructive criticism. "Maybe if you built magic resist, you wouldn't be such a bad player" is just as bad as an insult, because the moment you bundle a suggestion with an insult, that suggestion is much less likely to be taken.

Lose with Grace

This is in the Summoner's Code, but it begs to be stated again: You will lose. You will lose a LOT. If matchmaking does its job right, you will lose 50% of your matches. If you go down screaming, blaming team mates for doing poorly, losing hope and selling your build, or feeding to get it done faster, you are making a somewhat negative experience- losing the game- that much worse. And you're making your own experience worse by making it more negative for YOURSELF. You want to have fun, right? Go down swinging. If you know your Nexus is about to get blown up, try to take as many of the enemy team down with you as you can, and enjoy it as much as possible.

Avoid Negative Experiences

League of Legends is a game. A game is, by its nature, a voluntary activity. And when you volunteer, you always have the choice to walk away. If you have a particularly frustratingly negative experience from another player, such as accute verbal abuse at the first sign of failure, ignore that player. If the experience is so negative that you find yourself building up a rage against that player, don't feel pressured to stay and play, and don't go out of your way to make everyone else's experiences more negative by responding with more inflammatory comments. If you are absolutely certain that your experience in playing with someone else will be far more frustrating than it will be fun because of their attitude, direct them to this guide and leave the game. Now, I'm sure that there's more than a few players that would filet me alive for saying this, but this is a game. You should hopefully not run into such negative beacons of anger very often, and when you do, you will likely enjoy yourself more by doing something else than continuing to be around them.

Don't Overcommit to the Game

Always say the mantra 'this is just a game.'

Losing is not the end of the world. It may be minorly disappointing, but after that loss, you will not suddenly lose anything outside of that game. Your life will not become worse off. You have no reason to be full of anger and frustration over what is intended entirely to be fun. The only thing that can make the experience negative is your own emotional attachment to it. If you feel inadequate because you're not doing well in a computer game, you should stop playing that computer game because you're taking it so seriously. If you find yourself filled with frustration and anger over other people's performance in a computer game, you should not be playing that game. If you find yourself enjoying playing with a team, whether you win or lose, you have the right game and the right mindset.

This is a game, and it's made to be fun. Don't make it not fun.

I hope these rules can help put a few things in perspective for players who've been struggling with improving their behavior.

tl;dr Treat other players like you'd treat your immediate friends and family. Don't make your team want you to lose more than the enemy team. Admit when you make a mistake and don't blame others. Offer advice, not insults. Enjoy losing because you lose half your games. If your experience with another player is more negative than you can handle, leave. This is just a game played for fun, don't feel like winning or losing particularly matter.

Nevrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Shameless self-bump because I think some people need to read this.

Scarlet Flandre

09-22-2012

tl;dr pls

Nevrus

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst Talon Ever View Post
tl;dr pls
Done, but I think everyone should really read all of it.

Nevrus

09-22-2012

I will fight to keep this on the front page of the forums.

Nevrus

09-22-2012

Additional bump.

Firefox711

09-22-2012

These are general good rules to go by.

I think 3. "Be Honest About Failure" is a major one. No one has perfect games; we all make mistakes. It's important that you are self-aware enough for you to identify them, and improve on them. If I happen to make a mistake during a game, I make sure to let my teammates know by typing "That was my bad" or things like "I shouldn't have chased". And depending on the level of competitiveness of your game, I think its all right to laugh at your own bad plays. xD It keeps your spirit up sometimes.

Look at yourself first, before you commentate on others. And when you do, be constructive about it. We're all there to try and win the game, so let's help each other out.

Nevrus

09-22-2012

Thank you!

Mosenwraith

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrus View Post

Be Honest About Failure
The more you try something, the more likely you are to have failed at it a few times. If you want to hold other people accountable for failure, you must first hold yourself more accountable than them. Do NOT make excuses. Do not blame others for your own bad decision making. Do not blame the game's mechanics that Riot has been balancing for years and years so that they're as fair as possible. Blame yourself. Blame yourself hard. Let the rest of the people on the team know that you're aware of your failure and don't want to make the same mistake again. Be your own harshest critic. It takes power away from those on your team who have a negative attitude and want to harass you in order to burn off their own frustration with your mistakes. And it lets the team know that you can be dependable and are actively trying to improve without thrashing out at them for your own frustration.
This one is my favorite out of everything you listed. I actually do this in game. I will apologize and explain my mistake, and make an effort not to do it again. The fun part is when the negative player tries to drag it through the mud. Not two days ago I had someone raging at me for feeding top (I was playing someone I'm not used to outside of jungle. Mistakes abound!). When he started in on the whole, "You're ****ing terrible, you fed top and that's why we're losing!" I turned around with, "Yes, I fed top. I ****ed that up really hard and I can't apologize enough. I'm not blaming anyone here but myself." He didn't have anything other to say other than, "Right." Didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the game unless it was to help direct towards an objective.

People are not used to others admitting to their mistakes. Sometimes that is all that's needed to stop the rage completely. :P

Wellhmmm

09-22-2012

I like this. This is also a great guide for the people that want to be recognized as good players of the community (much like me). Bump for Honor! Bump for fun!