Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rune setup help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dashinize

09-22-2012

So ya, I just hit 30 (woot!) but I figured to work on my runes before really trying out ranked.

Currently my only rune page (that's complete) consists of
3x flat AD runes
9x flat armor runes
9x MR per level runes
9x flat AS runes.

(as you can tell that the above was my first completed rune page, i like to ADC)
I have 5 more rune pages I could fill (i bought a few during the 2 for 1 sale) and i was wondering for any suggestions on what to fill them with.

Mind, I would like at least 1 troll build page for aram, which consists of 30 AP per level runes lol, so i guess 4 more pages to fill.

I'm not great at every role, but I do have the champions and somewhat skill if i'm forced into other roles, so help for any type of role would be great. thank you!

ACGIFT

09-22-2012

To be honest, you won't need to fill all the pages yet, especially not until you have all the runes to do so; you can go quite far on a "general-purpose" rune page. I almost thought that's what you had, but I re-read your ordering. So, a few suggestions:

• Attack Speed marks (red runes) aren't all that valuable. You'd likely be better served buying yet more flat AD ones.
  • For Glyphs (blue runes) magic resistance is by far the most popular. You may or may not want to add a set of flat runes for them too.
  • Quintessences in attack speed are kinda wasted; they give you a benefit that slows down later on (as attack speed items only stack additively) so you're better served with flat AD quints.

Now, if you want to expand your repertoire of champions, a few suggestions:

• Magic Penetration marks work fine for APs.
  • Flat armor seals like you have now are almost universally great, so little reason to change.
  • You'll want flat ability power glyphs to add quite a lot for an AP.
  • Flat AP quints are useable for an AP, but I'd note movement speed quints work great for ANY champion.

BStein

Recruiter

09-22-2012

if you are wanting to get into ranked play i would recomend the following pages, aka the pages i mostly use.

ad
quints 3x flat ad
reds 9x flat ad
yellows 9x flat armor
blues 9x magic res/lvl

ap
quints 3x movement speed or 3x flat ap
reds 9x magic pen
yellows 9x armor or 9x mana reg/lvl
blues 9x magic res/lvl or 9x ap/lvl

support
quints 3x gold/10
reds 9x flat armor
yellows 9x flat armor
blues 9x magic res/lvl or 9x cool down reduction

those are the 3 rune pages that i use the most.....for top lane or jungle just use the ad page if your champ scales off ad or the ap page if your champ scales off ap or the support pages if your champ is a tank.

hope this has helped a little

Foxley

09-22-2012

Here is a rune analysis written by Roku quite a long time ago, but since runes have gone almost unchanged since its creation (aside from removal of Dodge runes), it's still relevant and quite useful:

http://forum.lol.garena.ph/showthread.php?139-Competitive-Rune-Analysis-Ranking-by-Roku

The main thing to do when it comes to runes is to think for yourself and conceptualize how you'd like to maximize the performance of the kinds of heroes you like to play.

If you're mostly going to play AD carries, you should focus on the best-in-slot runes for that type of character. You already have flat AD quints, those are excellent, there is literally no better choice than flat AD quints for any carry, and quite a few junglers and top laners. You should take either flat AD or armor penetration marks. Flat armor seals and scaling MR glyphs are the standard, keep those. You will be taking mostly physical damage in the early game and the per level MR glyphs outscale flat MR glyphs after around level 10.

Another thing to keep in mind for runes is that a majority of the time, runes are chosen to give your early game a needed boost before you can afford items. Because of this, runes with flat values are typically more useful to you than scaling values.

Burbinator

09-22-2012

Quote:
Applesocks:
Here is a rune analysis written by Roku quite a long time ago, but since runes have gone almost unchanged since its creation (aside from removal of Dodge runes), it's still relevant and quite useful:

http://forum.lol.garena.ph/showthread.php?139-Competitive-Rune-Analysis-Ranking-by-Roku

lol wtf how is it relevant and useful

seals have gotten changed quite a bit. mana regen got nerfed a lot while base mana for most champions got buffed across the board, meaning they are nowhere near S tier. Evasion doesnt even exist anymore.

almost all ad champions will take primarily flat ad rather or a mixture rather than straight marks and quints of desolation as he suggests.

nowadays most people will take mr/level rather than the other things he suggests. The meta is different from before, its less likely as an adc or supp to lane vs an ap for example which means they want the late game benefit of mr/level. Cdr is almost never used either.

@bstein i'd suggest flat mr for ap if you go for mr at all, since you'll be laning vs ap most likely.

Foxley

09-22-2012

Quote:
Burbinator:
lol wtf how is it relevant and useful

seals have gotten changed quite a bit. mana regen got nerfed a lot while base mana for most champions got buffed across the board, meaning they are nowhere near S tier. Evasion doesnt even exist anymore.

Not necessarily the recommendations on what runes to use, but more that it shows the stat numbers in an easily comparable list, and most importantly, it shows the break even point for scaling versus flat runes. It's an analysis, not a guide, after all. It's not something to be followed, but utilized.

TwistWrist

09-22-2012

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Mark

This list is better imo. Tends to be more up to date.

Burbinator

09-22-2012

Quote:
Applesocks:
Not necessarily the recommendations on what runes to use, but more that it shows the stat numbers in an easily comparable list, and most importantly, it shows the break even point for scaling versus flat runes. It's an analysis, not a guide, after all. It's not something to be followed, but utilized.

Except the stat numbers are wrong, dude. Which I already told you.

MR runes have all gotten nerfed since, as well as MP5. Its very possible there are other small changes that I do not recall. Furthermore you're missing out on a variety of different runes that have been added, such as hybrid penetration, spellvamp/lifesteal, and gold generation seals.

So this is a guide with an outdated analysis with incomplete information, and the information that is there isn't even all right. It's not something you should be offering as a resource to new players.