Should Matchmaking Consider Total Wins/Losses?

Yes 1,098 71.21%
No 267 17.32%
Impartial 177 11.48%
Voters: 1542. You may not vote on this poll

I Finally Understand ELO Hell

1234511 ... 51
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neko tan

09-22-2012

Final Edit!!!!! Over 500 upvotes, over 1,000 summoners saying they agree, and four months later, Riot has made a sticky post about how they're implementing this into matchmaking! However, they've still ignored this thread's existence... Which is fine, I guess... Nonetheless, matchmaking is finally seeing a change for the better. Thank you, everyone, for your participation in this enrichment activity!

It's not how I thought. I made this smurf to try to get to 1700 where I am on my main to see how hard it actually is. I'm 25w 25l so far, that's proof that it's a challenge.

I just lost a game as singed where I got my inhibitor before they even got my turret down, and bot started with a double kill. However, bot was varus karma. I trusted my teammates to be alright, helped them out when I could, but we lost due to a major skill gap.

The reason ELO hell exists is because it ignores games played.
My team:
25w (me)
9w (kat mid)
243w (noc)
9w (karma)
8w (varus)

That's a total of 294 wins on my team, ~600 total games between all of us. Most belonging to one person.

Enemy team:
271w (ashe)
402w (rengar)
10w (leona)
22w (fid)
446w (irelia)

That's a total of 1151 wins on the enemy team. ~2300 total games between all of them. Two players has more wins than my entire team combined.

Edit: Fun math with neko! 600 games @ ~45m/game = 450h of total ranked gameplay!
2300 games @ ~45m/game = 1725h of total ranked gameplay!
That's 1275 more hours of experience! Or 53 days!

The general experience gap between players on each team is phenomenally imbalanced. It's no wonder people always complain about being the only good person on their team, or having a terrible player in the bottom lane. It's because they've literally played 1/20 as many games as them in total.

Why does this game disregard games played in the ELO system. Sure, it's your skill level that matters, but people get carried all of the time. And the more you play, the better you are by default because you learn more about the game and its mechanics.

tl;dr - does anybody agree that ELO hell and randomly horrible games exist because the matchmaking system disregards total wins and losses per player?

Riot, please respond to this and explain why players are paired with complete noobs when it comes to the literal definition of the term newbie!

Edit: 25+ upvotes! Thank you! The poll is currently 74 - 25 - 12, which could be interpreted as 86 - 37. Twice as many people say yes! Let's keep bumping in wait for Riot :3

Edit2: 50+ upvotes! Thank you all! The poll is currently 138 - 37 - 19, which could be interpreted as 157 - 56. Almost 3 times as many people say yes! Let's keep the conversation going in wait for Riot! I love you guys ;3

Edit3: 100+ upvotes! I love you guys! The poll is currently 230 - 60 -34, which could be interpreted as 264-94. That's more than 3 times as many for yes! Where u at Riot!?

Edit4: 200+ upvotes! I'm really liking where this is going and I love your niceness! The poll is currently 429 - 118 - 64, which could be interpreted as 493 - 182. That's 311 more for yes!

Edit5: 300+ upvotes!? That's pretty crazy for how long this thread has been up. Thank you; guys so much for voting on the poll and bumping the thread and just being nice people. I'll be back later today to add some whitty stuff and reply to you! Im at work right now on my phone lol.

Okay, I'm back. Wow, the poll is currently 814 - 202 - 128, which could be interpreted as 942 - 330. Not only is the yes category reaching 1000, but very soon the total vote count will be 1337!

Edit6: 400+ upvotes! Nyohmygawd. Recently, people have been saying I'm fraudulent and I'm just another low ELO scrub. That hurts. Not really, but is that really related to this thread past not being able to carry myself? I'm just trying to get gold by 100 wins on this account to see if ELO hell is real. You do it. I posted my CS averages on my main on page 39 or something because someone was trying pretty hard to call me out. If you're curious. Thank you for all of the votes and bumping, guys! Season 3 could be way different if this were implemented!

Edit7: 500+ upvotes?! That's half a thousand! As you all know, Season 3 preseason started a couple weeks ago, and placement matches are underway. This is prime time for trolls and mixed team compositions. My advice to anyone under 1200 ELO is to wait until January if you plan on having more balanced teams. I'm currently 4-0 in my placement matches (I wonder why) and I'm hoping I can get back to the 1700s this season! Good luck on the fields of justice!

1337 votes update! In honor of the greatest webseries ever made and an inspiration to the gaming community, I'm going to leave a link at the end of this post to the pure pwnage indiegogo campaign for obvious reasons. As we approach 500 upvotes, there still have not been any reds, but remain hopeful because they'll find this thread and either shut it down with wisdom or say "hm... I'll run that by the team" either one is fine by me!
http://indiegogo.com/purepwnage
Image from my most recent game. I call it "The struggles of carrying as Lux." Lol

Image 2 is from my now most recent game. I call it "It's no wonder that Wukong is 17/1." Lol Mid was 0/8, bot was 0/7 and 0/8. Top was 2/11. Granted, I was only 4/4. But, hey, what can you do as jungle when it's that bad... "Prevent it from getting that bad?" I DIDN'T ASK YOU, SMART PERSON.

Neko tan

09-22-2012

It is a sin to vote and not bump or reply.

Resaya

09-22-2012

bump for yes.

daredevil39

09-22-2012

Agree completely. Riot should look at this since its so true

Steven Deschain

09-22-2012

I've been posting about this very same issue in multiple threads throughout the week. Bumping to hope this gets noticed by a Riot member.

Games played should definitely factor into who you get matched up with. Being a 700 game support with a 25 game ad carry just should not happen.

TM oJun

09-22-2012

elo hell exists because the person who got to lvl 30 by playing only co-op games thinks its a good idea to go into ranked

Neko tan

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil39 View Post
Agree completely. Riot should look at this since its so true
I'm sure they know it's a problem but it might be too hard to do by themselves!

I Am Tolan

09-22-2012

bump this man! great post, probably the best thread i have seen today!

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Original Content of this Post

@im neko

Games played is not an accurate metric of skill. You have 25 wins. Do you think you're less skilled than their 446 win Irelia?

----------

Added Content 9/24/2012 @ 6:30 AM PST

This is an open challenge to any Elo Hell Believer with a 1200 Elo Account that has 200+ games on it. Give me your account for 1 week and I'll have it 1450+ by the time you get it back.

----------

Content added 9/24/2012 @ 8:45 AM

Consider the following analogy. You have 10 rocks of varying weights arranged in order from lightest to heaviest. You then are given 5 new rocks of unknown weight. Using only a balance, you take those rocks and compare them with each other, and eventually arrange them in order from lightest to heaviest. Without comparing them to any of the 10 rocks you already had in order, how do you correctly place them into the collection of rocks such that the collection remains in order of lightest to heaviest?

In this analogy, the collection is the rating system, the original 10 rocks are the veteran players who have hundreds and thousands of games played in their rating, and the 5 new rocks are new to ranked players. New to ranked players must be matched with and against veteran players to determine where they belong.

Neko tan

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothinButSwag View Post
bump this man! great post, probably the best thread i have seen today!
Wow, thanks! Probably the only serious thread I've made in years!

1234511 ... 51