Lag Meter in LoL client, Riot pls

1234511 ... 25
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

p13rc3y7

09-22-2012

Are you tired of AFKers and Leavers on your team due to connectivety issues, and causing you to lose the match? I sure am!

Would you like a way for players to be able to tell that their internet connection or computer is acting up BEFORE they start a match on YOUR team? I sure would...

Come on guys lets keep this thread bumped and on top for Riot to see! This is a freaking awesome and simple idea that will help TONS of people!!!!

EDIT - 100 UPVOTES!!!
EDIT - 150 UPVOTES!!!!
EDIT - 200 UPVOTES!!!!

Dear Riot,

Please add some type of latency meter in the client so we can see if we are laggy or not BEFORE joining or starting a game... This feature would be amazing, helpful and only improve the gameplay.. It would also let people know if they should refrain from starting a game due to having 999 ping and running the risk of screwing over their team.... Thanks and I would appreciate a red response on the idea

Lets be honest at least most of us have had that game where we start a game with our internet unknowingly having a terrible connection and during that game we get told by everyone on the team "OMG THIS PLAYER SO BAD CUZ OF LAG ALL REPORT !!!!1!111"

Here are some quick examples I made in paint of the basic idea concept.

Attachment 586722

Attachment 586723

Here is some awesome comments by great members of the community -------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritHacker View Post
+1. My Internet sucks about half the time and rocks the other half the time, and I usually end up wasting half an hour on a co-op game to find out what it's doing at any given time before I can play PvP safely. I would really love to have a way to work around this. Bonus points if everyone else in-game can see the lagmeter, since generally when I lag I lag so hard I can't even explain why I haven't moved for the past 10m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Tiger View Post

The guy that want's the latency meter just wants a general "round-about" latency so that he can tell if his internet is ****ting itself or whether it's fine. Typically, ping doesn't vary that much between one server to another in the US, it would only greatly vary (greatly being going from double digits to low triples) if you were pinging a server outside of the US. This can be achieved by simply pinging google, and if you want to do it so bad, you can open up a command prompt next to your game and before going into it type "ping www.google.com" and look at the ms because that is your latency.

I realize that your latency is different when connected to a server rather than google, but because it remains in the US it would only vary by a negligible amount (about 1-30ms).

All in all, it would be VERY easy to implement and they could even make a dedicated "ping" server somewhere in the middle of the US if they wanted. That or allow you to choose your own "ping" server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchiefellow View Post
Yeah, this isn't a bad idea. It really isn't.

But the real thing I wish is that we can see other players ping in game, so that I don't have to explain that my ping is through the roof and can't move all game to the people who are raging so hard over the fact that I am lagging. I think that would be awesome. Hell, we can see others latency in the loading screen before a match, so I don't think it would too difficult to implement this into the game as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokevinn View Post
They should also add everyones ping to the scoreboard like everyother multiplayer game in existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageMinnow View Post
He's talking about checking the stability of his own connection, instead of needing to go to pingtest and find out. Sometimes, a normally stable connection is having trouble and you simply won't know until it's too late.
It would be a gift to everyone to know if their internet is going to screw them over beforehand.. It will save many people from losing ELO due to players having random/spontaneous lag and starting a game (without knowing they are having bad lag) and Lets be honest.. It has happened to us all once upon a time .. and some more frequently then necessary..

The ultimate outcome of adding this simple update can and will prevent a lot of people getting reported, banned and straight-up pissed off when it randomly happens.. I know I rage whenever I disconnect or have hardcore lag >=(

Edit:also not saying this lag is anyone's fault but my own but sometimes, lag can be extremely spontaneous and cause many problems... Sometimes it can happen and we wont know until it's too late..

Cheers,

p13rc3y7

Edit - Please understand that the poster underneath me is misunderstanding what this thread is about. I am not asking for a client to game lag meter, I am requesting a general lag meter, maybe Riot can even expand on this idea and make it a reality so many players(myself included) will not start a game while unknowingly having copious amounts of ping.. Thanks for reading.

Pomf Pomf Pomf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

but the client's server is different from the game's

p13rc3y7

09-22-2012

^ You do not understand.. This thread is asking for some type of meter to show latency so people know whether they should or shouldn't join a game.. Is it really that hard of a concept for you to grasp?

Pomf Pomf Pomf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by p13rc3y7 View Post
I dont care, I am asking for some type of meter to show latency so people know whether they should or shouldn't join a game.. Is it really that hard of a concept for you to grasp?
but if you're connecting to two different servers, one may be stable while the other isn't, therefore lagging in game but not in client, and vice versa.

AidanNaut

09-22-2012

ctrl + f

MuDlBoX

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanNaut View Post
ctrl + f
this works ingame. He is asking about this feature but before join in games

SavageMinnow

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL3tscher View Post
but if you're connecting to two different servers, one may be stable while the other isn't, therefore lagging in game but not in client, and vice versa.
He's talking about checking the stability of his own connection, instead of needing to go to pingtest and find out. Sometimes, a normally stable connection is having trouble and you simply won't know until it's too late.

p13rc3y7

09-22-2012

Riot pls D:

Frenchiefellow

09-22-2012

Yeah, this isn't a bad idea. It really isn't.

But the real thing I wish is that we can see other players ping in game, so that I don't have to explain that my ping is through the roof and can't move all game to the people who are raging so hard over the fact that I am lagging. I think that would be awesome. Hell, we can see others latency in the loading screen before a match, so I don't think it would too difficult to implement this into the game as well.

Shirtless Heroe

09-23-2012

excellent idea. RIOT HIRE THIS MAN NAO!!!111!

1234511 ... 25