Support roles

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zerglin9000

09-22-2012

After playing a great number of games, I just seem to not be able to grasp the concepts of support roles. Every support role I try to fill I end up just endlessly feeding the enemy team, which doesn't help my carry nor my team at all.

Other than buying gp5s and wards, what am I supposed to do as support, and where can I find advice?

ZeSoren

09-22-2012

In my opinion, support is really the hardest role to play. Not many people like to play support because you will always be underleveled and not very powerful, but supports can be game changers. I've seen and been in teamfights where supports can just turn everything around. As a support, you heal, shield, buff your allies, debuff your enemies, anything to ensure your team has the upper hand in teamfights. Supports are given the daunting task of keeping up vision of the battlefield by constantly placing wards and destroying the other team's wards as well.

Alright so as a support in the early game/lane phase is to protect their AD carry. You are not to kill any minions since you want your AD carry to have a lot of gold. Your gold income will be coming from your gp5s and ward clearing with an oracles. Still in the early lane phase, you're to ward the river to give your lane an early heads up of ganks from the enemy jungler.

Mid game where a couple of towers are down and people are roaming, this is were support need to keep moving. Grab an oracles and hunt down enemy wards to keep their vision down. Ward key objectives such as the Dragon or Baron and sometimes the enemies blue and red buff so that you may either steal it or go for a tower or Dragon. If you're not clearing wards or placing any, stick with a teammate. You are helpless by yourself. Be aware of where the enemy team is at and doing and stay near you team to keep gaining experience while they kill minions. It's ok to die...just not so often. Stay in the back of the team, unless you are one of the more Tanky supports or have a good initiation move like Blitzcrank's pull or Leona's AoE ultimate. Be aware and make your best judgement if you can save your teammates or you can turn fights around.

Late game is the same as mid game, except there will be constant teamfights and your actions may either help your team win or bring them down. In teamfights, you have to protect your team the best way you can. Use your support items at the right time to gain the edge and CC the enemy team at every possible moment you can. If you can knock away their distruptors or keep their support away from the fight, you can keep your team alive and give them a couple more seconds.

These are the support champions (I might miss a couple)
Alistar
Sona
Soraka
Janna
Blitzcrank
Leona
Lulu
Taric
Kayle

These are champions that aren't normally played as support, but can really do well
Volibear
Dr. Mundo
Teemo? (some say he is a support champion)
Singed
Galio
Ammumu? (not really sure)
Pantheon? (just discovered this one and some games we got wrecked because of him)
Fiddlesticks?

TehomCD

09-22-2012

Natsumiii/sweetiebutt has a tutorial or two on youtube about playing supports, and any guide by xpecial on solomid.net is good. Support in the laning phase is about map control and protecting your carry. Assuming the players are relatively close in skill, support actually tends to have more impact on winning the lane than the actual AD carry does, since they're the ones who normally are harassing/doing trades, controlling the brush to prevent their AD carry from being zoned or zoning the enemy carry, and providing protection against ganks. Pink wards in locations that are likely warded can lead to the enemy being zoned until they're rescued, or unable to see ganks coming, or an early dragon if you pink it after driving someone out of lane. One tip - get very used to warding through walls. It's always a huge risk to move too far forward to ward, and can be a game-throwing move if you give up an early oracle.

One thing you may want to become familiar with is the very strong support/AD combos, and which lanes they're good against. Graves/Soraka is very strong, for example, but is weak against a blitzcrank/whoever lane or alistar/tristana, which is another extremely strong combo. Lulu tends to do very well against kill lanes. Nunu is a late-game gambit support, since bloodboil is arguably the strongest support steroid lategame, and works really well with a lot of lategame champs like Kog'maw or Vayne. Janna is used when you need a very strong peel for vulnerable AD carries like Ashe or Kog'maw. Sona goes with nearly anyone, but is best played very aggressively for her incredible poke, but tends to lose to more aggressive supports like Blitz/Leona that she can't safely harass. Leona is extremely strong with a very aggressive AD, and goes best with Corki. Tanky supports can be very strong against Blitcrank, like Taric, Alistar, or Leona, where a pull can result in his AD being immediately cc'd and killed.

Artifictional

09-22-2012

read this guide, it will give you a good overview of what a support is supposed to do
http://www.lolpro.com/guides/game-pl...how-to-support

also your duties as a support change depending on which cham you are playing
tanky supports need to zone the enemy adc out of range of the minions to deny xp/gold
squishy supports need to use their abilities to max out the strengths of their own adc's, and help poke down the enemy support

Foxley

09-22-2012

As a support, you should make sure that you do not feed and become underlevelled/dead weight. Even though you're the so-called "least important" team member as far as levels and gold is concerned, it's still a 5v5 game and you do not want to make the game a 4v5 in your enemy's favor by becoming uselessly underlevelled. Above all, do not take unnecessary risks that might get you killed.

The support's job early game is to defend and set up kills for your carry, so in lane it's essentially your job to initiate "trades" (essentially a half-hearted kill attempt, made to assert lane dominance) and kill attempts. During mid and late game, your job is to protect your carry and any other teammates by using CC on enemies and healing your allies (if you're a healer). And, of course, throw wards everywhere. It can take some getting used to being the only character on your team who essentially has a 5-slot inventory, as one of your slots will always need to be available for wards.

If you're a squishy ranged support, you really need to watch your positioning at all times. Even though you aren't priority #1, your low health pool and low resistances will make you an appetizing free kill for the other team if you're caught out of position. Play cautiously; ranged squishy supports typically have abilities that they can use to help their team when standing behind bruisers and tanks, so you don't have to put yourself in as much danger.