Speak-Easy 2.0: The fan fiction discussion thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deimus144

09-22-2012

To Reds: Requesting sticky please!

Now I made a version of speak-easy before this, but it eventually died. I had a hard time burying it..... But what is dead is dead.

Unless your a necromancer like me.

Here, in speak-easy 2.0, you can discuss your own or others idea's of a fan fiction, ask for help on a fan fiction you are already working on, or help others on their idea's. If you wish to give away a story or Idea, or as I like to call it, set it up for 'Adoption', then here is the place. You need advice on how to do a certain scene in your story, whether crack or serious, look no further. Your Ideas can scale form crack, serious writing, humor, horror, poetry, and essay, and all the genre's in general.

I made this because I realized that my place was not as an author, but as a player.

So I will give up writing, but I will pave a path for other writers, old or new to the fan fiction forum.

Here is some things I would like you guys to read before you become part of the speak-easy thread.

Quote:
How to show your Idea

There are many was to present the idea. However, I hate going into detail, so here is a very clean and effective method you can use:

Title:
Author(s):
Summary:

Note that if your Idea is a collaboration, you must name the collaborators. If someone want's to join you, you must edit your post and add his name if you accept to let him work along side you.

Also note that you cannot make someone a collaborator unless the person give's you permission.

The above structure is one I myself use. However, you have the option of using this method:

Title:
Author(s):
Genre:
Summary:
Rating:

A bit more detailed and a more better warning for those who think you are writing something and discover it is not what they expected. (Ex. Yuri, lemon filled, ect.)

Here is structure you would use if you set the idea or story up for 'adoption'.

Title:
Previous Author:
Summary:

When you take up the story or idea, it is very important that you give credit to the original author for the Idea.

Now that we have put the structures aside, let us look at how you can help fellow author's.

How to give people advice:

Before we go into detail, I have to show some rules:

1. You may only criticize the Idea, not the author.

2. Swearing is only allowed in your fan fictions, not here.

3. Even though the person's idea might be stupid, be positive.

4. If you are being a rival to another author, make sure that you rivalry is a friendly debate. Remember where you are.

(These are not the only rules. The rest will be discussed in the end of this.)

Now back on track, lads.

When you want to give advice to fellow's, make sure you do not criticize them. That will make them depressed and cause them to leave the fan fiction world forever.

Note that some people take up writing to escape reality. If you show them that their efforts are futile, then they may as well commit suicide (which I very much disagree with.). So be positive with them and, who knows, they might make a wonderful piece of writing someday.

This does not mean, however, that you should not point out the flaws in their story. Rather, point out the major flaws first so the person can see and understand their mistake. Point it out in a friendly way, though, so you do not start some harsh debate (Not that most of you do. Just want to remind you of what I posted this.)

So help others, and they will help you some day.

When Debating:

This is a rare consequence in the fan fiction forum, though one must be prepared.

5. You have no right to swear at the other debater and neither does the debater have the right to swear at you.

6. Keep your debate a friendly one.

7. Criticize the Idea, not the person.

When using someone Else's writing:

8. When you take up their idea, make sure you remain on the course of their plot.

9. You must give credit to them for the idea.

10. You can add some of your mix into the person's idea, but stay on track of the plot. Don't go to far left or right.

11. Authors who give up their Idea's and wish to take them back, (As long as the story is no where near the ending) then they must ask permission from the 'adopter' to take it back.

In conclusion:

1. You may only criticize the Idea, not the author.

2. Swearing is only allowed in your fan fictions, not here.

3. Even though the person's idea might be stupid, be positive.

4. If you are being a rival to another author, make sure that you rivalry is a friendly debate. Remember where you are.

5. You have no right to swear at the other debater and neither does the debater have the right to swear at you.

6. Keep your debate a friendly one.

7. When you take up their idea, make sure you remain on the course of their plot.

8. You must give credit to them for the idea.

9. You can add some of your mix into the person's idea, but stay on track of the plot. Don't go to far left or right.

10. Authors who give up their Idea's and wish to take them back, (As long as the story is no where near the ending) then they must ask permission from the 'adopter' to take it back.

Deimus144 Advice:

A:If the story is going to be long, then rush up and do the first 10 pages. Once you have done that, go back and check for mistakes.

B: Dont stress out the prologues. Keep them short and uninformed of the main plot. This will encourage people to check back to understand what is going to happen.

C: When writing a poem, try to use rhythm and sound to the desired effect. Edgar Allan Poe used them to a very frightening and powerful effect, as he did in The Bells, and in a silent yet dark way in The Raven.

D: Touch your reader's core desire. If they want something by popular demand, then give it to them.

E: Write because you want to, not for fame.
So this is an open door for all of you.

My fans wanted me to do a RivenXTalon, but to their and my own disappointment I cannot. My train stops here, but new people are coming on.

My road as a writer has ended, but theirs has just begun.

I will see you all on the fields of justice, summoners.
And remember this motto:

Adapt, Compete, Conquer.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: If reds don't stick this, then I hope you people will casually bump until they do. But it is your choice.

Goodbye fan fiction forum community. I will miss you all.

Peace.

Giannoulias

09-22-2012

They'll never see this if you just leave it here...I recommend linking to it in GD and asking for them to sticky it.

Dorryza

09-23-2012

*raised eyebrow*

My question is, why would people join this one if they didn't find (lasting) interest in the old one?

Also, stop saying you've stopped writing- you've done "goodbye" posts before, and always came back. Every time, it just seems like a grab for attention =_=

But, I guess I'll keep an eye out for this one. Who knows what might pop up, eh?

Yasako

09-23-2012

So I'm like, 400 words in (after 12 minutes last night loooool) to a story. And I can't figure out what I should title it. Together, Away? Ideally? Noxian Fervor? < Where's strikethrough for that?

Summary (from /u/):
Kat [is] out after Riven on orders from Swain who feels she's a loose end that needs handling. Kat brings her back in chains and after lots of ideology banter between the two they finally reach Noxus where Riven is to be executed for desertion. Kat then gets to witness the true strength of Riven as she becomes the first person to make it through Draven's gauntlet alive.

Obviously, Silver really wanted to write this, but sobusy. So I was like YEAH I COULD USE ANOTHER THING I'LL NEVER FINISH.

Eyowyn

09-23-2012

How do you become a senior member, is what I want to know

AerithRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyowyn View Post
How do you become a senior member, is what I want to know
Number of posts. Stick around for a while, and you'll get there soon enough. I got mine in about a month's time of consistent posting (but not spamming).

Eyowyn

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerithrayne View Post
number of posts. Stick around for a while, and you'll get there soon enough. I got mine in about a month's time of consistent posting (but not spamming).
ah got this!

Dorryza

09-23-2012

see? already a member. You'll be there in no time

Eyowyn

09-23-2012

Oh em gee, I just became a member with that.
WHOA!
AWESOME!

I feel all distinguished

Dorryza

09-23-2012

*pats on back*