Why You Lost (A Guide to Winning)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lethadind

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphismia View Post
well, you're still in ELO hell, so its not like your own guide has taught you to get out of it lol

playing support is relying on your team to carry you, considering ppl in elo hell are bad, this isnt the best idea. but i agree with the rest of the guide
You missed everything I posted, apparently. The entire point of the guide is to say that people aren't really bad (ok, some are, but most actually aren't), they're just unfamiliar with a number of different aspects of the game. The people I play with that are 2200+ Elo are familiar with all of these aspects. Essentially they punish you for every mistake you make, and they don't really make those mistakes themselves. The thing Low Elo doesn't know very well is punishing mistakes and snowballing from them.

Let me point it out using an example. I have a friend that I duo with from time to time (he tends to rage so I try to stay away from him as much as possible, but we're RL friends and it's fun to play the game together, so it's meh), and we got in a game where our Graves basically threw the match. He was one of those derps that everyone hates in this Elo. He had horrible CS, he went something like 1/7/3, he was out of position in teamfights, etc. My friend raged at him, and to be honest I wasn't very kind either. We lost horribly. The next game we q'd I noticed he was on our team again, and he picked Graves again. I threw my hands in the air and thought "Wonderful..." He carried his ass off. He had the highest CS in the game, he went something like 15/3/7, and basically won the game for us. What was the difference in the two games? I have no idea. Perhaps he just needed a better support, perhaps their ADC was a lot worse than the one from the previous game, perhaps the stars aligned. The point is, in one game he played terrible, and in one game he played great. That means that even though he had a horrible game, his potential to play well was there, he knew his stuff he just didn't practice it as well the first time.

Also, I'm now sitting at somewhere around 950 Elo, I've lost a couple more games but I've won about 6 more, I think I'm 20 and 4 so far when I started the spree. So I might still be in Low Elo, but I'm getting out, and honestly a big part of it was that I taught myself (by writing all of this down it basically became ingrained in my head, ergo I "taught myself") all of these points. The community helped a ton too. You don't win 80% of your games by chance alone.

Oh and, try grabbing someone who is 2200 Elo to support for you. See how many games you lose. You won't. That's the only thing I'm going to say because I've beat the subject to death. Supports can carry, the sooner everyone realizes that, the sooner we can all stop raging in the q screen. How relieved are you when someone actually calls support? They often do a good job too. I want to say more but I won't, I've provided the argument, and have seen it myself. Stop being lazy and start carrying when you're the support.

@Jowabunga - I don't get that many leavers/afk/dc/trolls. I get them, but not nearly as frequent as you seem to get. There's some outside factor you're not considering I promise. Perhaps it's the time of day you are choosing to play, I'm not sure. If all you want to do is throw your hands in the air and say "there's nothing I can do," well then I can't help you, but it's ridiculously improbable that you are that unlucky due to mere chance. Perhaps your Riot's accidental whipping boy, but logic seems to tell me it's something you are doing (that might be harmless such as, like I said before, the time of day you are playing) that is causing this frequent troll issue. That's all I can give you man, sorry. What I won't give you, if you're looking for it, is "Oh well, okay I guess there's nothing you can do," I'm not that guy, I look for solutions, not "feel goods."

Good luck though, try again, Duo Q with me if you want to. I can hold my own as high as 1400 Elo (tested myself, haven't tested anything higher than that except for the few games I went against 2200...can't do that, lol), so we can see what's going wrong.

Jowabunga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

and another...

Lethadind

11-04-2012

Jowabunga whatever you do, please don't use this thread for a pity party. I'm willing to help you out, there are many people willing to help you out, but complaining here only serves to cripple you in the long and the short run.

Jowabunga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

Pity party over. I'll take it to another thread, but I just had my third disconnector loss in a row and none of them have been on me. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Will the Llama

11-04-2012

I can't play support
I just can't! I don't have the mind set to sit back and let someone else get kills that I should be getting, I like to do the damage
That being said, I have a friend that I play almost every game with, He is a very good Support/Tank player

SO IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT, MAKE SUPPORT FRIENDS

Kreecher

11-04-2012

Good read, very well thought out and written.. I'm "trying" to get good at this game but I think my problem most of the time is I try to hard and end up playing like ****.. I wish I had some pros as friends lol

IceMaker

11-04-2012

Supports can carry.
(If you play Karthus support)

Hirumonogatari

11-04-2012

i wish i could make clutch plays the way i've seen. but that is unfortunately impossible at high ping, unless someone can offer me a viable alternative. the high ping comes from playing from oceania, which sometimes makes me yell at my monitor screen that riot, and the rest of the US, hates oceania

i just played against a sivir at bot lane. at 80 ping, she could spell shield every single one of blitz grabs. when i played sivir, i will press the key as soon as i suspect the grab coming, but often the latency means that my shield doesn't actually activate until i'm already next to blitz. the best that can happen is that i block the power fist, and often that doesn't happen either (i block the ult)

when im mid playing an assassin like kat, the same thing happens. i see people combo off pressing keys in quick succession. my skills come out every half second or so, at best. that makes all the difference to enemy reaction times, and i can't even begin to describe the problems this gives me in teamfights.

so i can't adc, i can't mid, and i can't really support either, as my shields often come out too late. that leaves me passive jungle farming (which sucks) and passive support like soraka. passive is great sometimes, but more often than not i'm getting yelled at every which way.

Dr Erry

05-19-2013

well done

Johny Ringo

05-21-2013

Nice thread op

Just wanted to say I have recently gone to almost exclusively supporting in ranked and here's why.

I suck at ADC.

So I started playing them. Over and over and over as often as I could in order to try and improve. Well my ADC game did get better (I am still not great) but what I noticed right away was what a huge impact the support had on my game as ADC. If the support was good I was consistently able to farm well and once I got the advantage even though not great at ADC could more times than not just derp my way to winning the lane

I started thinking about this and started wondering as the bot lane is the only lane that is a forced team situation in the early game, and most people feel stuck as support when they get it and dont do it well. Wouldn't the biggest effect you could have on a game early be to make that duo work and work consistently?

So I play a pretty decent Sona (I agree she is broken) so i started playing her as often as i could in ranked which is like 95% of the time because no one wants support. What I found is I can get my ADC free farm if nothing else time and time again. simply by harassing the other team out of lane. Again most people get stuck in the support role and dont do it well i have found it almost ridiculously easy to out support people cause I concentrate on the role.and they are stuck in it.

Now this doesnt get me a win every time to be sure as there are a lot of other factors involved but I have found that if nothing else it does consistently provide my team the early game advantage bottom.

Now what I havent been doing is after providing that early advantage concentrating enough on any other lanes that need help.After reading your thread I think I am going to try to pay better attention to that and see what happens.

Anyway enjoyed the Op keep it up.