Why You Lost (A Guide to Winning)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MitchMate

10-21-2012

You get a golden seal of approval, you can haz.

Djinn19

10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
Dude. I'm so proud of you!

Everyone, I need your attention. Everyone!

THIS is exactly the mindset switch you need. Pay attention to the journey TheLastBaron88 goes through as he's typing this. Starts to blame, points out flaws, admits that he coudln't do some things, and then noted what he learned, and how to do it better.

Here's my two cents: Every once in awhile you're going to get a derp. He's going to derp around doing derpy things and there's not anything you can do about it. He is, after all, a derp. However, this is your prime learning opportunity, because this is what challenges you to become better. I know, I know, "It's really easy to say that, but try living it." I have. It's frustrating, it sucks, it's horrible, and it makes you want to kick a small child in the face (o.0). However, work on controlling that anger and instead realize it's a learning opportunity.

Also, there are still things that you can "do" to not totally get destroyed. I'm not sure who you were laning against/with but it seems like it was an aggressive support and adc, like a leona/ezreal combo or something. It sucks, especially if your support is passive like soraka, or if they're just playing an aggressive champion but not being aggressive with him because they fear that initial burst as they engage (the first few split seconds of an engagement is when most of the dps is dropped usually, so dropping half-health instantly doesn't mean you'll drop completely in the same time frame, a lot of people don't understand this and the only way to get over it is to play a few normals and play extremely aggressive - this way you find out your champ's limitations and sustain during an engagement). Anyway, if you have a way to passively farm like Ezreal's Q or Graves' Buckshot (I think it's Q...not sure as I don't play him often), you're gonna have to do that, and just wait for that jungler gank.

The bright side is their jungler likely won't make a visit until after level 6.

Honestly, the best thing that you can learn in a situation like this is how to dodge harass more effectively. What they're going to do is poke you down until they can tower dive you, you have to prolong this as long as possible. Sometimes it just sucks and they have, like, Alistar and there's basically nothing you can do. What you might try is letting them take the tower early (in lower Elo they'll do it every time) and then try to freeze the lane at your inner tower (there's a link in my first post on how to do this, it's a quote from FaerellG). This way you control the wave and deny them farm. Farm the hell out of the jungle as best as you can, and simply try not to die.

I just had a game where they invaded our jungle and their graves got two insta-kills while I was left, as Ezreal, with only one assist. Blitzcrank was their support. I had Maokai (who does okay, but because of troll picks had to go support instead of jungle) as my support. It was a rough lane, but once the jungler came in once things became more balanced, especially because I got two kills by baiting the tower dive (I died once as well, but still), the lane went into my favor. At one point I was 2/3/0, and Graves was 4/1/1 with higher cs as well. After the jungler came (with our mid) we ended up having a small skirmish and I got two of the kills - as their jungler/mid joined as well. From there I just snowballed out of control. I ended the game with something like 25/8/18, 300 cs. Graves ended up 8/9/10 or something. Don't get impatient, wait for that perfect opportunity, and just dodge as much harass as possible.

It wasn't necessarily your fault that you got destroyed, but you still could have done more to delay or stop it all together. I'm positive that some of the 18-2200 Elo players that I get the opportunity of playing with from time to time would have done just fine in that situation, so all I can say is roll up dem sleeves and get to work, you got some lifting to do, and your back's gonna hurt brah!
I'd like to make a point about derp statistics&probability and derp psychology.

It is nearly impossible, according to the laws of statistics and probability, that you should get all the derps on your team all the time. If you somehow do, then maybe Riot just hates you.

Assuming Riot doesn't hate you, you just notice the derps on your team more because they aggravated you, creating a scenario that spikes your emotions and makes you more likely to hold the bad memory for a while. You aren't granted access to the other team's chat. They might have a derp they're aggravated with too. You can't tell. So you assume your derp teammate is the only derp around. Psychologically, that's why we're all inclined to think we get stuck with the derps.

In reality, over a large sample of games played, the derps should even out. Therefore, if you take the game seriously and ditch the fatalistic attitude, you might actually improve.

Jowabunga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Theoretically. In practice, not so much. I've been keeping light stats to satisfy my curiosity only and over the last 30 or 40 games I've had roughly 3-4 times the number of games where disconnectors and AFKers ended up on MY team. Small sample size, certainly, but this has been my impression for a very long time. Ultimately, there are derps, but then there are instantly lost games wrapped in an annoying minimum 20-minute wrapper.

Lethadind

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowabunga View Post
Theoretically. In practice, not so much. I've been keeping light stats to satisfy my curiosity only and over the last 30 or 40 games I've had roughly 3-4 times the number of games where disconnectors and AFKers ended up on MY team. Small sample size, certainly, but this has been my impression for a very long time. Ultimately, there are derps, but then there are instantly lost games wrapped in an annoying minimum 20-minute wrapper.
Let's talk statistics.

I mentioned a few things about statistics I believe in my original post - the part about Elo Hell. So, not that I'm claiming you're incorrect (indeed you probably had horrible luck), but what outside factor caused you to experience more afks and dcs on your team? Statistically speaking if your sample size is representative of the population there had to be some outside factor controlling and changing something. If there isn't, then, statistically speaking, you were an anomaly, and statistics in this case holds that there are four possible afkers on your team (because you aren't) and five on their team - you should see more on the other team.

The only explanation I can give as to why you would be seeing 3-4x more than the other team is that you yourself are provoking them to do so, as you are the only constant factor in all of these games. Think about it.

Lethadind

11-03-2012

Bump, figure this thread has done some good for the community, I'd like to see if it can help anyone else.

Also, I've expanded the guide to almost double it's original size (just in a word document), when it's ready to post I will link the new thread here.

Rovos

11-03-2012

Great post... now getting someone to read AND.. AND getting them to swallow that pride and admit it's also their fault might be too much to ask.

PapeRarty

11-03-2012

Just saying man. You're a stud. This guide is wonderful. Backed a lot of things I've thought for a long time, but also called me out on plenty I needed to hear. Thanks man. =) Need more people like you playing this game!

malphismia

11-03-2012

well, you're still in ELO hell, so its not like your own guide has taught you to get out of it lol

playing support is relying on your team to carry you, considering ppl in elo hell are bad, this isnt the best idea. but i agree with the rest of the guide

Jowabunga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
The only explanation I can give as to why you would be seeing 3-4x more than the other team is that you yourself are provoking them to do so, as you are the only constant factor in all of these games. Think about it.
I have, actually. The vast majority of the ones I can remember were DOA... They were there to accept the game to start, but mysteriously gone when the game started, never to return. I can remember a few others recently... One just mysteriously disappeared for 10-15 minutes, then came back saying he was sorry and that he had to eat dinner. Another one, perhaps the only game I've ever been in where someone might have afked due to me, was someone who locked ziggs after i'd already called mid and told folks I was waiting to pick based on what everyone else was choosing. He was there to pick, suddenly gone at game start. I looked him up in-game afterward and he didn't get a "leave", so the petulant bugger must have just idled the entire game to screw us.

Point is, the idea of accounting for one's own behavior is a good one, but in this case it really doesn't apply. :)

Jowabunga

11-04-2012

and oh gee, second game of the day it happened again, with our hecarim vanishing mysteriously at level 7 without a word or even a disconnect message. This **** sucks.