Petition: Warwick's and Soraka's new lores need revision!

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xyler94

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobyk View Post
In the old lore it says that he turned into a werewolf in his lab. He wasn't actually on the battlefield, Soraka cursed him from afar. As for why she can harm - she is a powerful demi-goddess. If a demi-goddess, I don't think it's logical for her not to have any sort of aggressive potential. This potential is what can tempt somebody to use power for evil. Power is a neutral term. How you wield it determines who you are.
i love that quote, did you make it up or is it form someone?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gixia

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I have to disagree, at least as far as Wariwck is concerned. Yes, he's ruthless and bloodthirsty. That hasn't changed so much.

But as for being clever and intelligent, I think it's just a different brand of intelligence. The man set up an elaborate trap to get close to Soraka. He set up a fake wife, lured others into attacking him, and perfectly manipulated Soraka's all-in "I will help you" compulsion to draw her into the perfect trap. He read her like a book and wagered his life that she'd show up just when she did. He even got her to break her practically forced vow of nonviolence.

To me, that feels way more intelligent than most villains I've seen.
...And then he blew it all in the end in what is probably the worst case of epic fail I've seen in a long time, which casts doubt on the cleverness of his plan, instead making it come off as overly convoluted and boneheaded to put such a huge amount of work into it when in the end he didn't even actually have a way to finish her off.

Like somebody put in months of planning and hard work to track down a dragon and lure it out of hiding just so they could try to kill it by poking it with a twig. The idiocy at the end negates whatever thought went into the planning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sarkhon

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I have to disagree, at least as far as Wariwck is concerned. Yes, he's ruthless and bloodthirsty. That hasn't changed so much.

But as for being clever and intelligent, I think it's just a different brand of intelligence. The man set up an elaborate trap to get close to Soraka. He set up a fake wife, lured others into attacking him, and perfectly manipulated Soraka's all-in "I will help you" compulsion to draw her into the perfect trap. He read her like a book and wagered his life that she'd show up just when she did. He even got her to break her practically forced vow of nonviolence.

To me, that feels way more intelligent than most villains I've seen.
To me, the problem with their lore is it gives them no real incentive to join the league other than to hunt each other. In the old lore they each had a reason. Soraka was to fight for justice against Noxious. Warwicks was to prevent Soraka from accomplishing that goal.

The reasoning behind the rework regarding WW being from Zaun an afterthought is shaky at best. In his new lore I care even less about his background because the focus is completely on him, for whatever reason, drinking an unfinished potion. There is no reasoning behind this, and it also hurts Singed image as a crazy alchemist.

In Soraka's rework, we see Warwick as a cunning trickster who visits her many times, however I never get the impression that they would become "friends," at least not friendly enough for Soraka to give up immortality for this "friendship." In the old lore, the way she cursed him seems much better. Instead of changing the lore all together, just change the way the curse affected him, and make the potion he drank to cure himself of the curse be what turned him into WW. Since you guys wanted to change what Soraka's curse did for whatever reason..

TL;DR: You changed something that didn't need to be changed when there are much more important things you could be working on. If the lore is so important, work on better ways of expressing the life of the League members instead of just re-writing history.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheUltimate3

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobyk View Post
She wasn't stupid, she was impulsive and led by emotion. That is what makes her so human and in a sense flawed (although she is/was divine). It is not stupidity or naivete
I wouldn't go as far as calling her stupid, but her old lore DID make her out to be of...lesser intelligence. She cursed him into a form that reflected his heart, a heart which she knew was dark and monstrous. Warwick became a werewolf, and was happy and in turn, she lost her divinity and became a horrid goat monster.

The very thing that made her human, giving into rage, is what made her seem so...fail.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I have to disagree, at least as far as Wariwck is concerned. Yes, he's ruthless and bloodthirsty. That hasn't changed so much.

But as for being clever and intelligent, I think it's just a different brand of intelligence. The man set up an elaborate trap to get close to Soraka. He set up a fake wife, lured others into attacking him, and perfectly manipulated Soraka's all-in "I will help you" compulsion to draw her into the perfect trap. He read her like a book and wagered his life that she'd show up just when she did. He even got her to break her practically forced vow of nonviolence.

To me, that feels way more intelligent than most villains I've seen.
Just out of curiosity is it not ok for characters to have parts of their backstory not directly relate to their appearance/combat style?

For example, is it bad that warwick was a chemist, but doesn't look like one and just acts like some violent wolfman in game.

Imo, I think it adds more dimension to a character when there is more to them than just what is seen in game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amyco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-21-2012

I remember the old Morgana and Kayle lore according to which Kayle was the subjective and arbitrary judge and Morgana the good guy. I thought that was amazing.
Wish that one hadn't changed...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheUltimate3

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodpaly View Post
Just out of curiosity is it not ok for characters to have parts of their backstory not directly relate to their appearance/combat style?

For example, is it bad that warwick was a chemist, but doesn't look like one and just acts like some violent wolfman in game.

Imo, I think it adds more dimension to a character when there is more to them than just what is seen in game.
The issue with that is, well to me is that, It makes no sense. Or rather, it's pointless. Warwick being a chemist would have been relevant, if something he did in game was related to that. Hell his title was "Blood Hunter" and the only real thing we know he's done outside of fields of Justice was killing Urf, and even then werewolf.

Had he became a wolf by drinking his own potion, and had some in game skill to reflect that, cool. Because he did not, him being a chemist was more of a...cheap way to say "Hey look, that werewolf, he's a chemist!" in an attempt to make him more interesting.

My thoughts though, Feel free to disagree,


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimate3 View Post
The issue with that is, well to me is that, It makes no sense. Or rather, it's pointless. Warwick being a chemist would have been relevant, if something he did in game was related to that. Hell his title was "Blood Hunter" and the only real thing we know he's done outside of fields of Justice was killing Urf, and even then werewolf.

Had he became a wolf by drinking his own potion, and had some in game skill to reflect that, cool. Because he did not, him being a chemist was more of a...cheap way to say "Hey look, that werewolf, he's a chemist!" in an attempt to make him more interesting.

My thoughts though, Feel free to disagree,
It's obviously a multisided argument, I just feel like a character can have more to them than what is visible in game and in their art. They aren't just champions of the fields of justice, they are a collection of some of the most interesting beings in their universe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BushidoBacon

Senior Member

09-21-2012

I, for one, love the new dynamic created by Warwick's desperate need to kill Soraka. Before, his reason for fighting just seemed to be "Oh yeah, I'm a badass werewolf now so I'm gonna fight on the front lines." Giving a sense of urgency to his lore makes it much more interesting. Although I have to agree that the fact Warwick couldn't use the blood he drew when he stabbed Soraka is confusing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Stinky

Senior Member

09-21-2012

WOW red post on the second page


1234567 ... 9