Petition: Warwick's and Soraka's new lores need revision!

First Riot Post
12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dobyk

09-21-2012

Dear all,

This thread is a response to the lore changes to Soraka and Warwick as of September the 18th 2012, described and discussed in this thread http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2590088

EDIT: I made a poll to better capture the community opinion. Anyone who is interested please vote.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2602860

I am an active player, a lore enthusiast, and a Soraka/support main. When the lore changes to Soraka and Warwick happened, I was, to say the least, surprised. For me, these lore changes were not an update or improvement, as RiotRunaan suggests, but actually a degradation to the personalities of our favourite champions that turns their story into a generic and cliched fantastical piece for teenagers.

If you are concerned in any way with Warwick and Soraka, because you love either or both dearly, please read through this post, I know it is long

Let me explain exactly what bothers me about the new lores.

Warwick and Soraka have been degraded from revered and famous citizens of Zaun and Ionia, to just some random strangers with "unique" backgrounds. If you read the old lores carefully, you will see that Warwick was a famous alchemist in Zaun (the reason why he was hired by Noxus), and Singed was his apprentice (and we know how deadly Singed is, imagine Warwick!). Soraka, on the other hand, was a human at some point, but then she transcended her mortality and evolved beyond her kin, reaching towards the stars. Hence she became a famous cosmic spiritualist and one of the most powerful (if not THE) healers in Ionia.

In the new lore, Warwick is a manhunter and a specimen hunter. There is no allusion to him being an alchemist, or being in any way a brilliant scientist. This, to me, is degrading to his intelligence, character and prominence in Zaun. He is just a hunter... a bit lackluster. His personality is just as "underdeveloped" as RiotRuunan suggests, as it was in the old lore. In fact, I don't think that in the old lore his personality was underdeveloped at all. I don't think that in the old lore his personality was defined by Soraka. Well, perhaps his story was centered around the war, but I think that his ruthless inventions during that war contibute to our understanding of his personality. All the death, destruction and suffering he caused, he did because he wanted to, because he is cruel and bloodthirsty, and that is why he also enjoys being a werewolf. If you wanted to elaborate more on his intentions, Riot, you could have just added a few more sentences. But you have actually altered the story in more than one ways. So, I think that in a sense Warwick was, for the most part, degraded.

In Soraka's new lore, she is not a human, nor a demi-goddess aspiring to divinity. She is just a "celestial being" which is something that at least I cannot relate to. What is this "celestial being"? Why did you have to take her nickname, "starchild", literally and actually make her a child of the stars??? In the new lore she is pure and compassionate, always ready to help, yet she is bound to that grove of hers. She is just like a naive, superpowerful dryad (in Greek Mythology dryads are bound to Oak trees). Clearly, Soraka is not a revered spiritual leader, definitely not a champion of Ionia, but just a dryad? A dryad that was fooled by a manhunter? And she was punished by the stars because she hurt a few guys with pretty lights? What about cursing Warwick, wasn't that a much more dangerous action, worthy of punishment? Also, why does her "now mortal" body have a horn and hooves - if Soraka just lost that divine glow around her, why did her body mutate? It just seems that Soraka is a naive, silly dryad who lost her mortality, yet feels liberated, empowered and curious about the world (as opposed to the old Soraka who was seeking atonement). This is a drastic change between new Soraka and old Soraka, and is a major, divergent point in the motivations of both. And by the way, in the new lore wasn't Singed's potion the reason why Warwick turned into a werewolf?

I think that the lore changes have taken the intensity and drama away and have just given us an insipid and generic fantastical love story, which doesn't add to our champions' personalities, but actually deprives them of depth. I am sorry, but I strongly disagree with RiotRunaan. I respect the effort and time you have invested in the new lores, but I believe that they are not adding anything to our champions, and I believe that the lore changes should be either reversed or revisioned!!!!! For the sake of those of us who main Soraka and Warwick and have invested time, money and energy, please consider my plea. I hope that my opinion is supported by the majority of the LoL community. Again, I believe that the lore changes were unnecessary and in a sense degrading.

Edit: I hope I dont sound bitter or harsh. Trust me, my last intention would be to offend anyone. But as a Soraka and Warwick fan I feel the need to express my opinion. Hope it will contribute to the discussion and a possible revision.

With all due respect,

Dobyk

Edit: Wow, I actually got 70 likes! Thank you people! It's more than RiotRunaan's thread, so please keep it up - maybe Riot will listen to us! Also, please remember to vote on the poll, I have given a link above.

Doctor Swole

09-21-2012

this just in, champion lores are lame. don't know why they're spending resources on lore. noone cares about lore. LoL might as well be a fighting game.

One map. Characters do battle to the death. There is no world, exploration or main storyline. It's a huge waste of money. Like does subzero have lore? Does scorpion have lore? No they're ****ing ninjas. Don't waste your money on lore lmao. Noone plays LoL for the lore

Szase

09-21-2012

Warwick being an alchemist just didn't really fit with his actual character, the lore just didn't feel right. If he was some crazy alchemist why was he in the battle? Why did he become a wolf? Why does he do nothing with alchemy now and is just a hunter? It just didn't fit where they made the character go.

Soraka not being mentioned as a hero of Ionia is a little disappointing, however, her being punished for using her magic to harm instead of heal makes sense, and after she realized the trickery she used the last of her power to curse Warwick (Or so I got from the lore). Which is a bit weird, why did the stars let her use her magic to harm after punishing her for using it to harm? I do like the new stories but it could have a bit better of an explication for the warwick being a wolf thing, and give both more connection to the city-states they represent.

Jimbobowitz

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Swole View Post
. Like does subzero have lore? Does scorpion have lore? No they're ****ing ninjas.
Yes they do for one, and also, I'm certain quite a few people care about their character's back story and don't just buy them because they look cool.

Szase

09-21-2012

Quote:
this just in, champion lores are lame. don't know why they're spending resources on lore. noone cares about lore. LoL might as well be a fighting game.

One map. Characters do battle to the death. There is no world, exploration or main storyline. It's a huge waste of money. Like does subzero have lore? Does scorpion have lore? No they're ****ing ninjas. Don't waste your money on lore lmao. Noone plays LoL for the lore
So much wrong with this. There are alot of people interested in the lore of the world, just because you do not does not mean nobody does.

Second. Subzero and Scorpion have major amounts of lore behind them. The rivalry of their clans, the killing of Subzero's brother by Scorpion (who thought he killed subzero) the death of Scorpion's family at the hands of Subzero's clan.

Subzero's change of sides and becoming Rogue Subzero working for humanity.

Dobyk

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsniper24 View Post
Warwick being an alchemist just didn't really fit with his actual character, the lore just didn't feel right. If he was some crazy alchemist why was he in the battle? Why did he become a wolf? Why does he do nothing with alchemy now and is just a hunter? It just didn't fit where they made the character go.

Soraka not being mentioned as a hero of Ionia is a little disappointing, however, her being punished for using her magic to harm instead of heal makes sense, and after she realized the trickery she used the last of her power to curse Warwick (Or so I got from the lore). Which is a bit weird, why did the stars let her use her magic to harm after punishing her for using it to harm? I do like the new stories but it could have a bit better of an explication for the warwick being a wolf thing, and give both more connection to the city-states they represent.
In the old lore it says that he turned into a werewolf in his lab. He wasn't actually on the battlefield, Soraka cursed him from afar. As for why she can harm - she is a powerful demi-goddess. If a demi-goddess, I don't think it's logical for her not to have any sort of aggressive potential. This potential is what can tempt somebody to use power for evil. Power is a neutral term. How you wield it determines who you are.

Doctor Swole

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobowitz View Post
Yes they do for one, and also, I'm certain quite a few people care about their character's back story and don't just buy them because they look cool.
graves must have a hell of a backstory then lmao.

lets be honest noone plays LoL for the lore. The JoJ is no longer running but noone gives a ****.

Zen Junior

09-21-2012

Quote:
graves must have a hell of a backstory then lmao.

lets be honest noone plays LoL for the lore. The JoJ is no longer running but noone gives a ****.
Simply put, you should stop being ignorant.

SilverNinjaShado

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsniper24 View Post

Unless I'm mistaken, in the old lore, Warwick was the person that created and used chemical warfare in the Ionian-Noxus war, as he was such an amazing alchemist that Noxus hired him. Soraka, upon seeing this, cursed Warwick to become a beast that matched his personality, turning him into a werewolf. However, since she used her magic to harm someone, the curse also caused her to descend the evolutionary ladder into what she is now.

The old lore between Soraka and Warwick was actually pretty good in my opinion, and I'm pretty sad to hear that it's been changed so drastically. Though I highly doubt Riot will listen, I hope they don't go through with this lore change, as they would then have to drastically alter a few other champions that were connected through the Ionian-Noxus war.

Caetilwyn

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobyk View Post
Dear all,

This thread is a response to the lore changes to Soraka and Warwick as of 18/09/2012, described and discussed in this thread http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2590088

I am an active player, a lore enthusiast, and a Soraka/support main. When the lore changes to Soraka and Warwick happened, I was, to say the least, surprised. For me, these lore changes were not an update or improvement, as RiotRunaan suggests, but actually a degradation to the personalities of our favourite champions that turns their story into a generic and cliched fantastical piece for teenagers.

If you are concerned in any way with Warwick and Soraka, because you love either or both dearly, please read through this post, I know it is long

Let me explain exactly what bothers me about the new lores.

Warwick and Soraka have been degraded from revered and famous citizens of Zaun and Ionia, to just some random strangers with "unique" backgrounds. If you read the old lores carefully, you will see that Warwick was a famous alchemist in Zaun (the reason why he was hired for Noxus), and Singed was his apprentice (and we know how deadly Singed is, imagine Warwick!). Soraka, on the other hand, was a human at some point, but then she transcended her mortality and evolved beyond her kin, reaching towards the stars. Hence she became a famous cosmic spiritualist and one of the most powerful (if not THE) healers in Ionia.

In the new lore, Warwick is just a manhunter and a specimen hunter. There is no allusion to him being an alchemist, or being in any way a brilliant scientist. This, to me, is degrading to his intelligence and prominence in Zaun. He is just a hunter... boring. His personality is just as "underdeveloped" as RiotRuunan suggests, as it was in the old lore. In fact, I don't think that in the old lore his personality was underdeveloped at all. It was clearly shown in the war. I don't think that in the old lore his personality was defined by Soraka. On the contrary, all the death, destruction and suffering he caused, he did because he wanted to, because he is cruel and bloodthirsty, and that is why he also enjoys being a werewolf. If you wanted to elaborate more on his intentions, Riot, you could have just added a few more sentences. So, I think that Warwick was, for the most part, just degraded.

In Soraka's new lore, she is not a human, nor a demi-goddess aspiring to divinity. She is just a "celestial being" which is something that at least I cannot relate to at all. What is this "celestial being"? Why did you have to take her nickname, "starchild", literally and actually make her a child of the stars??? In the new lore she is pure and compassionate, always ready to help, yet she is bound to that grove of hers. She is just like a naive, superpowerful dryad (in Mythology dryads are bound to Oak trees, or sometimes other types of trees). Clearly, Soraka is not a revered healer or spiritualist, definitely not a champion of Ionia, but just a dryad? A dryad that was fooled by a manhunter? And she was punished by the stars... because she hurt a few guys with pretty lights? What about cursing Warwick??? Isn't this much more dangerous and bad of an action, worthy of punishment? Also, why does her "now mortal" body have a horn and hooves??? None of this makes sense, or has convincing or enthralling logic. Also, wasn't Singed's potion the reason why Warwick turned into a werewolf?

I think that the lore changes have taken the intensity and drama away and have just given us an insipid and generic fantastical love story, which doesn't add to our champions' personalities, but actually deprives them of depth. I am sorry, but I strongly disagree with RiotRunaan. I respect the effort and time you have invested in the new lores, but I believe that they are not adding anything to our champions, and I believe that the lore changes should be either reversed or revisioned!!!!! For the sake of those of us who main Soraka and Warwick and have been playing for more than an year, please consider my plea. I hope that my opinion is supported by the majority of the LoL community. Again, I believe that the lore changes were silly, unnecessary and in a sense degrading.

With all due respect,

Dobyk
I agree with this completely. I also love how there are so many vague pieces in the stories that just go untold.

For example, Warwick brought his wife to Soraka to be healed and yet it's never explained in either characters back story if she truly was his wife or if he just murdered some random woman and brought her corpse to Soraka.
I guess its implied, but I find it funny considering its a HUGE part of Soraka's new lore and why she felt sorry for him in the first place, yet it's just left to interpretation.

You also have the aspects of "Warwick needed the blood of a celestial" to which he sought out Soraka. Well, Soraka was betrayed by Warwick, someone she trusted and obviously liked because she saved him knowing it would cost her. People quickly were curious why Warwick didn't take the blood from the wound he inflicted. Not to mention it's so very clearly written her her lore " The man she had called her friend slipped a dagger between her ribs. As her blood spilled, Soraka realized he had fooled her, and everything he had done was a complicated ruse. "

Soraka DID spill blood, it's written. Of course, this left Riot to scramble like chickens with their heads cut off to fill the blanks. "Well, well, she healed herself far too quickly for much blood to be spilled! Warwick needs a lot more blood than Soraka could life through!" ( Yeah, that'll get them! ) I mean seriously? It's established in their lore that Soraka TRUSTS him and considered him a FRIEND, wouldn't she have been in shock by the fact that he stabbed her? No, she's just goes "Oh no, I've been stabbed! *HEAL* GET AWAY FROM ME!" No, we aren't that stupid it was a poor cover to poorly thought out plot.

It says no where in Warwicks lore that he needed all of her blood or massive amounts of it. The lore reworks are both terrible and lazy.

All I can say is the Soraka Visual Upgrade turned out amazing, but as a long time Soraka fan...I was greatly disappointed by the lore changes.

12345 ... 9