RP Price Reductions: Swain, Trundle, Rammus, Kassadin

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naonical

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
\If you’ve got some RP in the bank, you’ll be pleased to know that we’re slashing RP costs on Swain, Trundle, Rammus, and Kassadin.
Huh when you talking about reducing champ prices you only cut the RP prices? Pretty disappointed, and they are not even popular draft champs. Also I think you need to correct how you use the word slashing.

Slashing - a swift cut

100RP reductions is pretty cheap and useless, these champs have been out for a long while and are not even seeing any love with skins or updates. Why would anyone care to buy them with RP in the first place, let alone for only 100RP less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Frog View Post
I took the time to log in just to downvote this.
Me too +1

ProGarbageman

09-22-2012

true meh

darkwithless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Don't know what others have written, don't feel like reading all the negative comments that I know are in this thread while looking to see if others have bothered to put out these thoughts.

To point out the obvious: people don't like permanent RP price reductions. Well that is not entirely true, people like price reductions (in the general sense), however to each case its own. Yes 850 is 125 less than 975, with much RP saved one has Almost enough to buy a 450IP champ during a 50% off sale or a 520RP skin during a 75% off sale (the Black Friday sale). While 690 from 975 is 285 RP well you can now buy that 450IP champ without a sale or that 520RP skin on a normal 50% sale. If you are stingy about RP then you are still just going to wait until the champions go on sale or just save IP. RP reductions for champs are just nowhere near as satisfying as IP reductions. If anything please don't bother having RP reductions for champs without an IP reduction as well. Or if you do have RP reductions do it in mass not just 4 champs, like 30 champs (all the non 6300IP champs worth 975 RP).

Now there are some inconsistencies I would like to ask about:
1. Caitlyn, Maokai, and Swain were all 6300IP champs reduced to 4800IP. Caitlyn and Maokai also had their RP reduced from 975 to 790, while Swain had his RP reduced from 975 to 850. What makes Swain worth 60 more RP than Caitlyn and Maokai?

2. Traditionally all 3150IP or more champs were all 975RP which made IP reductions easier. Now we have 4 of 12 4800IP champs worth less than all but 2 of 25 3150 champs. There are 4 4800IP champs worth less than Karma ... I like Karma but it still seems wrong. By the way reducing Karma's IP and RP prices, though they probably should because people might actually get her if she is cheap and subsequently play her, is not the solution to this as there will still be be 22 other 3150IP champs who will be more RP expensive than 1/3 of the 4800IP champs.

Any comments Riot?

p.s. out of paranoia I have to say that during the next IP reduction I see karma getting dropped to the 1350IP bunch (along with an RP reduction to match), followed by a holiday/special event where you slash the RP prices of the remaining 30 975RP champions who are not 6300IP. Please don't do this as Riots birthday gift to the community.

Mike Um

09-22-2012

would you please do a price reduction on Ahri IP purchase?

KimKelley

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwithless View Post
Now there are some inconsistencies I would like to ask about:
1. Caitlyn, Maokai, and Swain were all 6300IP champs reduced to 4800IP. Caitlyn and Maokai also had their RP reduced from 975 to 790, while Swain had his RP reduced from 975 to 850. What makes Swain worth 60 more RP than Caitlyn and Maokai?
The ability to transform into a giant demon bird. I'm being completely serious that that is worth the extra .50$ (approximated).

Quote:
2. Traditionally all 3150IP or more champs were all 975RP which made IP reductions easier. Now we have 4 of 12 4800IP champs worth less than all but 2 of 25 3150 champs. There are 4 4800IP champs worth less than Karma ... I like Karma but it still seems wrong. By the way reducing Karma's IP and RP prices, though they probably should because people might actually get her if she is cheap and subsequently play her, is not the solution to this as there will still be be 22 other 3150IP champs who will be more RP expensive than 1/3 of the 4800IP champs.

Any comments Riot?
I'm not sure I follow this argument. Or, specifically, I am sure I don't follow this argument. You seem to be saying that making a champion worth 3150 IP makes an IP reduction easier (point one that I don't understand the logic for).

Your second point seems to be that there are 4800 champs that are worth less (RP-wise presumably) than 3150 champions. I think there's a fallacy in equating IP worth to RP worth. Where the RP is set is a marketing decision. It's set at the precise point that they believe will net them the most money for that champion. (Or at least that is the point it should be set). The IP setpoint is more complex. They are balancing the "free to play" concept with the necessity of not making all champions so easy to get that buying RP seems silly for those of us with the capability.

Quote:
p.s. out of paranoia I have to say that during the next IP reduction I see karma getting dropped to the 1350IP bunch (along with an RP reduction to match), followed by a holiday/special event where you slash the RP prices of the remaining 30 975RP champions who are not 6300IP. Please don't do this as Riots birthday gift to the community.

In business there are early adopters (e.g.,the fans who spend 58 hours and absurd amounts of cash on the first day of purchasing an Iphone 5), middle adopters (those who buy something in the second wave: I bought an Iphone 4 years after its initial foray into the market), and later or never adopters (my father will use a rotary phone until the day he dies). Each of these people see a benefit for their purchasing decisions.

HayabusaZero

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

The main reason for these particular RP price reductions is to understand how champion purchase patterns change at different price points. Once we have enough data, I will propose a long term price structure for champions that covers both RP & IP. The overriding goal is to find the best price structure for both players and Riot.

Champion IP price reductions were restarted 17 days ago after a long hiatus, and the fact that we decided to reduce RP prices today does NOT mean that we are no longer looking at IP prices.

-Hippalus
Thanks for your post, Hippalus (even if some of us knew this, the majority of the community seems to ignored, so it was necesary). It is a great thing that you keep changing both the IP and RP prices of champions after so long, so please keep up the good work!

Boyahda

09-22-2012

No one in their right mind is going to pay 975RP for Rammus or Kassadin. 850 isn't much different when you can just play for a day and unlock either one for IP.

AbyssionKnight

09-22-2012

Why are you guys so unhappy? Don't you realize, that this is a step towards having rp prices relate to ip prices? Now you wont have to spend 975 to buy a 3150 or 4800! Honestly that's pretty awesome if you ask me. I always thought it was weird I had to spend as much rp for a 3150 as a 6300.

Tidax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Exile View Post
Riot Games is a great company but I'm not impressed with how the champions all cost 6300 IP. If there is anything that players truly want its cheaper champions (IP). Well, on a personal level, i think it would be nice if Nidalee got some love. Her model/animations are old and probably the blockiest looking in the game. Her picture hasnt changed at all (not that I mind, the new tryn picture is not to my tastes) and she hasnt seen a new skin in... well, a long time. No more teemo skins!

Edit: I have spent a lot of money on RP over the years but only rarely have I purchased champions with them. Usually when I did it was a double bundle or something like that. I believe that I have only actually bought a champion with riot points once, maybe twice after two years of playing this game. The vast majority of my riot points goes into buying new skins; I love the different looks the champions can have and I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to kog maw skins. I think I own 3 or 4 of them which goes against my policy of only buying one skin per champion. But hey, better skins keep coming out! I'm not an addict... I swear! Just one more skin... My point with this edit is to reinforce the view that most players don't actually buy champions with rp. I could be wrong of course, only Riot Games has access to the demographics but most of my friends spend riot points on skins and only rarely on champions. Therefore this RP reduction, which might end up in a few more players buying the champion and making riot money (this is good, Riot is a business afterall) doesnt have quite as great an effect as the promoters of it thought it would. I had the thought a long time ago that for every 6300 point champion that comes out from now on, the oldest 6300 point champion gets reduced in price. Or the oldest 3150 point champion or etc. Unfortuneatly either no one read my post or nobody cared. I would ask that everyone who objects to this post by Riot Games do so politely; Riot Games is still an amazing company thats built a (mostly) free game for us all to play.
hey you! why no more teemo skins? >.. and nidalee will be update like soraka.. and maybe she willl gain more skins..! just wait..! like me <3 waiting for soraka

Daedric Masters

09-22-2012

I'll try to be constructive about this, instead of raging with just and mighty rage over no IP reductions.

Because perhaps the IP reductions are not the point here. Sure they would be nice and the vast majority of players, myself included would like to see more IP reductions on older (S1) 6300's, champs that get no love from Riot. BUT!

The point is the perceived value when deciding whether to spend your real-life, hard-earned cash on a new, shiny, exciting champ or an older not-so-exciting-anymore champ that is in a lower IP tier, and is as such, perceived to be of lesser value.
The point is the discrepancy in the price tiers when comparing the IP/RP costs of champs.

Some 3150's and 4800's cost the same 975 RP as a 6300 IP champ.
Some 3150 IP champs cost more RP than a 4800.
Some 4800 IP champs cost less RP than other 4800's.

Why the discrepancy? Why not make fixed RP cost tiers the same as the IP tiers? A player would rather spend 975 RP on a new 6300 than an old S1 3150 champ, and just save the IP for the old champ, after all, it's a better deal for his cash.

So, even though I think Riot is going in the right direction by reducing the prices of older champs, I do believe it is not enough to skim off 75 RP and create yet another level of confusion and price discrepancy since now we have 4800 IP champs that cost 975, 850, and 790 RP.

I mean... Get your act together Riot, people spend more cash on skins and new champs and spend IP on the older champs anyway, so reducing their RP costs further and rebalancing RP/IP tiers would probably benefit you more than hurt. Also, screw doing it gradually. One swift stroke of justice for all the champs in the store would be much more satisfying for us players.