Ferrus: The Hex-Terran Mountaineer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lamb of Jihad

09-21-2012

Introducing a New Champion Concept:

Ferrus, The Ironspine Refugee

"Some speak the legend of a rock breaker high in the Ironspines, but this is not true! He breaks mountains!" ~Piltover Citizen

Role:
Melee, Fighter

Play Style:
Ferrus is considered to be a bruiser and anti-tank with his True Damage attacks, as well as his ability to initiate with either another allied champion or boulder with his ultimate. His laning phase can be assisted with his Stoic ability, so long as there's an enemy champion nearby. Ferrus was made to be a tank-buster, so he's fantastic when it comes to taking out the front lines, but has almost no abilities to get "out of Dodge" other than Flash or Ghost.

Ferrus thrives being in a team battle as he's fairly good with crowd controls with his innate, as well as being able to take more damage than others would be with Stoic.

Statistics:

Health: 410 (+85.0/lvl) 1940@lvl18

Health Regen: 7.5 (+0.85/lvl) 22.8@lvl18

Armor:16.0 (+3.5/lvl) 79.0@lvl18

Magic Resist: 30.0 (+2.0/lvl) 66.0@lvl18

Attack: 50 (+3.25/lvl) 108.5@lvl18

Mana: 220 (+40.0lvl) 940.0@lvl18

Mana Regen: 5.5 (+0.5/lvl) 14.5@lvl18

Range: 125

Speed: 315

Possible Item Builds:

Tank/Initiator Role:
Doran's Shield
Mercury's Treads
Randuin's Omen
Warmog's Armor
Atma's Impaler
Guardian Angel

Fighter/Tank-Buster Role:
Doran's Shield
Mercury's Treads
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Atma's Impaler
Frozen Mallet
Last Whisper

Ablities:

Innate: Iron Will
Ferrus' experience of the Ironspike Mountains has enabled him to endure greater amounts of danger without flinching.

Reduces the chances of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, snares, immobilizes, blinds and silences from basic attacks in accordance to .30/.35/.40% of Ferrus' Maximum Health Points.

Q: Percussive Pierce
Ferrus launches forward and swings Sten on the enemy, dealing more damage depending on their armor, but slowing the cooldown, as well.

Ferrus targets a single enemy unit and launches a short distance towards them and swings his maul causing 50/85/120/155/190 (.7 AD) physical damage plus True Damage according to the enemy's Armor. For every 100 Armor the enemy has, Ferrus add .5 second longer to his Percussive Pierce Cooldown.

Mana Cost: 50/60/70/80/90
Cooldown: 8/8/8/8/8 seconds
Range: 425

- The dash portion of the attack is the same values as Graves' Quickdraw ability.
- The physical damage portion is reduced by Armor and any resists currently on the target enemy.
- True Damage does not affect Lifesteal, critical, or any other damage enhancing effects.

W: Sten's Might
[Passive] Ferrus tempers Sten to deal more damage with basics attacks to targets with more armor.

[Passive] Ferrus deals additional damage as True Damage according to 6/7/8/9/10% of the enemy's armor with each of his basic attacks,but deals half that value back to him each basic attack.

[Active] Ferrus strikes the ground with Sten causing all opponents around him to be slowed or stunned, depending on how close they are.

[Active] Ferrus slams his maul on a targeted area nearby. Enemies hit are dealt 50/75/100/125/150 (1 AD) physical damage and are stunned for 1 second if directly hit, or slowed for 2 seconds if within the AoE.

Mana Cost: 60
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10
Range: 600
AoE Diameter: 650
Stun Diameter: 225
Slow: 30/35/40/45/50%

E: Stoic
[Passive] Ferrus' skill for evading death has led him to gain faster regenerative abilities while near enemy champions.

[Passive] Increases Ferrus' health regeneration by 40/55/70/85/100% per every 5 seconds for every enemy champion within sight.

[Active] Grants Ferrus further regeneration while active.

[Active] Triples health and mana regeneration rate per 5 seconds for 10 seconds, regardless of enemy champions being around.

Mana Cost: 22/24/26/28/30
Cooldown: 22/21/20/19/18 seconds
Range: 850

R: Bowling Barrage
Ferrus throws the largest thing he can find towards a target direction like a bowling ball, flattening every enemy in the object's way until it strikes an enemy champion, knocking it and any champion within range back.

Ferrus may grab a target allied champion or, if none are around, a large boulder to throw. The object selected is thrown a target distance along a straight path until it collides with an enemy champion, building, or terrain. Enemy champions hit are dealt 200/350/500 (1 AP) magic damage and are knocked back, along with any champion in an arc behind the hit champion.
- Enemy champions hit behind the first champion hit are hit for the first-hit champion's Armor and Magic Resist as magic damage.
- Ally champions thrown are rendered invulnerable and untargetable, but unable to take any actions during throw (same as Zhonya's Hourglass, but auras still persist).
- Flattened targets are dealt half the original magic damage and stunned for 1 second.
- If the thrown object hits no enemy champions in its path or hits a building or wall, no damage or knockback occur. Hit minions and monsters still take damage and effects.

Mana Cost: 120
Cooldown: 140/125/110 seconds
Range: 800
Throw Path Width: 250
Knockback: 350
Knockback Arc: 60%

Lore:

The Ironspine Mountains. Home to only the hardiest of creatures, and final resting place of numbers unknown. Very few people of Runeterra venture into such a harsh place, and those that do only do so for reasons paramount to their existence.

As such, those that do reside within the Ironspines do so for reasons only known to themselves. Ferrus is one of these few individuals that seeks solitude from the former life he left behind in the festering cesspool he knew as Zaun. Fighting nightly to remain alive within the city-state as a youth, Ferrus became involved with underground gangs, which had unsettled grudges with rivals in Piltover. In one such raid on a hextech weapons research facility, Ferrus found a weapon of which he had never seen before: Sten, the Spiked Maul. With Sten, Ferrus ploughed through all that lay before him as he fled, no matter their size, strength, or disposition. With everyone now after him and his prize, Ferrus headed toward the one place no one else would: the Ironspines.

After years of evading his pursuers and heightening his skill with Sten, Ferrus now turned to the Summoners of the Institute of War for refuge and intimidate all those who would have his head. And his maul.

Appearance:
Ferrus stands about the same as Tryndamere for height and build. He carries his spiked maul, Sten, with both hands and swings overhand in order to attack and use skills (like one would use the same tool to hit railroad spikes. Sten is an over-sized spiked maul with a silver glow to it and a tungsten-tipped spike.

His attire consists of pelts from local feral wolves sewn together for a coat and pants, with a wolverine-esque cap (similar to Udyr's Bear or Tiger headwear). Ferrus has a full beard, almost to his chest, of which is a greying brunette.

Skins[ideas]:
Dragon Slayer Ferrus
Hitchhiker Ferrus (Pokemon reference)
Sabertooth Ferrus (X-Men reference)
Hex-Tech Ferrus

Conclusion

If you would like to add, change, or adapt new ideas, please, let me know. Remember, this is all just a concept, so everything here is just someone's (mine) idea of a character fun to play. When you do comment, please, give me some feedback to work with as it may help in aid to the final outline that may be used by Riot, one day. Maybe.

Any ideas used in the concept of Ferrus are used without the intentions of copying or stealing another creator's ideas. I give Riot full use of the ideas here, but do wish for them to credit myself with some credit as the basis for Ferrus and his concept, please.

I'll create a log as I go along letting folks know of the changes, if there are some to be made.

Log

v 1.0.0.0 [Sept 21, 2012]

v 1.0.1.0 [Sept 24, 2012]
-Changed the innate ability to reduce chance of crowd control from basic attacks instead of adding to Tenacity.
-Reduced the percentage from Ferrus' hit points of his Innate ability to .30/.35/.40% from .5/.6/.7%.
-Reworded Ferrus' roles.
-Added Item Builds.
-Reduced Ferrus' W Passive [Sten's Might] to 6/7/8/9/10% from 6/8/10/12/14% True Damage based on the opponent's armor.

v 1.0.1.1 [Sept 24, 2012]
-Increased Percussive Pierce's cooldown timer depending on the enemy's Armor value.
-Added kickback to Sten' Might depending on enemy's Armor value.

v 1.0.2.0 [Sept 25, 2012]
-Increased Health Points gained per level from 81 to 85.
-Updated Item List from Randuin's Omen to Last Whisper for the Fighter role.

v 1.0.3.0 [Sept 26, 2012]
-Added background lore
-Changed Ferrus' title to "The Ironspine Refugee" from "The Hex-Terran Mountaineer".
-Fixed a few spelling and grammatical mistakes.
-Added possible Sten appearance.

Possible Sten Appearance:

matrixEXO

09-21-2012

Just saying. I find that having a bruiser and support in one role is kind of whacked out. Tanky assassin + support. You get what I'm saying? Cause I have never seen an assassin play support other than putting in more damages while someone else took the kill.

Also, never seen a Tank Assassin as well since it is impossible to have one. Tanky assassin (Bruiser) is possible but not true Tank and true Assassin in one sitting (unless you fed Darius for him to get 10/0/0 on the 10 minute mark, on top of giving him the whole top lane to farm nonstop).

As far as I can tell, your Champion is more Assassin than Bruiser and 0 support. Having a stun does not mean it becomes a support Champion. Supports normally tend to be able to cast at least one their skills onto their allies to either shield, heal or buff them. If there is none of these, they are normally an off-support Champion, having a ranged stun or slow. And most importantly, most (if not all) supports are AP.

Onto the skills.

Passive: Not good. I see no cap. The original cap is 35 Tenacity (as said by Riot some long time ago). But then again, Tenacity is best left for items. Another thing that irked me is the way you decided to make this skill an enhancing skill. This skill, by standard, should be just a flat value skill since most of it's functions are considered overpowered. Lastly, 3000 * 0.007 = 21 Tenacity. Which is considered alot. In fact, it should not even be Tenacity. Check a champions skill and item skills. I guarantee you that other than Grevious Wounds, there is NO champion skill that will apply any exact same effect as item skill. Mundo has CC reduction, but not Tenacity. Why? Cause it allows him to bypass Tenacity cap. I can rant about this but you get my point.

Q: Very bad numbers. 100% Enemy armor may seem small, but it just begs for OP-ness. Non-ultimate true damage has drawbacks. Vayne requires 3 stacks of her W and Olaf deals true damage back to himself upon cast. This skill applies physical damage, True damage and has ranged leap at no compensation for being overpowered. If you really wanted to keep this skill, I would recommend to shift this as an ultimate. Else, it's best reworked.

W: Another true damage proc that has no compensation. Granted it only deals 14% of the enemy's armor as True damage. But that numbers just screw people's mind up.

I cannot comment on this any further. Numbers are screwed up with too much true damages. For one, I would ask you to rework the whole champion. To fit the goal/concept/theme without using true damage first, then apply true damage onto only one of your skills and balancing it back for the OPness that true damage does, bypassing armor and magic resist.

Lamb of Jihad

09-24-2012

I see what happened here. I forgot to add the most important part of his description: he's a tank-buster. Maybe now it'll make more sense.

I did change the wording on his Innate ability to something more similar to Irelia's passive instead of Tenacity.

His Q isn't all True Damage, just the second part. It's sort of a Catch-22, in that if the enemy builds higher armor, he takes more damage, but reduces the physical damage; and if he build something less tank-y, he'll take more damage from the physical damage.

And his W isn't OP, I think. Again, it goes with his anti-tank aspect.

Remember, the numbers can be edited around, but I'd like to keep the tank-buster aspect in mind.

Soon enough, I'd like to add the possible items to Ferrus in order for folks to gain an idea of how he's suppose to be played.

matrixEXO

09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of Jihad View Post
I see what happened here. I forgot to add the most important part of his description: he's a tank-buster. Maybe now it'll make more sense.

I did change the wording on his Innate ability to something more similar to Irelia's passive instead of Tenacity.

His Q isn't all True Damage, just the second part. It's sort of a Catch-22, in that if the enemy builds higher armor, he takes more damage, but reduces the physical damage; and if he build something less tank-y, he'll take more damage from the physical damage.

And his W isn't OP, I think. Again, it goes with his anti-tank aspect.

Remember, the numbers can be edited around, but I'd like to keep the tank-buster aspect in mind.

Soon enough, I'd like to add the possible items to Ferrus in order for folks to gain an idea of how he's suppose to be played.
IMO, Vayne's a good anti-tank Champ. Same as Olaf. The trick is that they have some downs to their usage of true damage procs. The idea where one should be blowing armor = true damage onto a tank is also wrong. Wukong does a good job against tanks without true damage. Xin Zhao does a good job against tanks without true damage. Why? Armor reduction on percentage. This baby means that you stacking armor means nothing to them.

As far as I see it, your skill kit is a quick way out of thinking about game balance over game breaking. Every enemy got armor. A champion with 80 armor at lvl 18 will still be dealt true damage and the fact that true damage has 0 counters to it require some fine-balancing. A true anti-tank Champion does not need to rely on true damage to do a pain. And building just true damage to counter a tank without any negative effect is just like saying, "This game don't need tanks!". But seriously, not many Champions use true damage since Riot also never liked true damage. Just like dodge, there is not one viable counter to it. So, there must be a good balance between damage and counters for it to be successful.

Open your eyes more. Read, obverse, note things down. Then come back and change your kit. There isn't any thumbs-up and thumbs-down on these kind of things. You need to explore more options rather than thinking that true damage = anti-tank damage. True damage = absolute damage, that is what it is.

On the side note, number-wise it's fine. I just detest using true damage unless it's kit uses it to shine more, like Darius and his Pain-Axe showing the world who's more painful than themselves.

Lamb of Jihad

09-24-2012

You made a good point, and I went ahead and added some kickbacks for both of those skills.

Let me know if this is the direction you were thinking of or not.

Lamb of Jihad

09-27-2012

Added lore and updated a few things.

Will add ability images when I can find/make appropriate ones.

If anyone would like to take a go at his appearance, give it a try.

{Note: If anyone could change the title of this to "Ferrus, The Ironspine Refugee", that would be peachy keen with me. Fore-thanks to you.}

Skyhawke

10-02-2012

Okay, review time!

Lore: I like your writing style and the framework of the story. However, I don't really feel a strong connection as to why he's joining the League. Did he learn anything from his self-imposed exile? Why would he want the limelight of the League? I think there are a few questions needing answering here.

Passive: To be honest, I'm really confused by how this skill would play out.. how many champs have CC on their basic attacks? Not many, off the top of my head. Even if you include items (frozen mallet) it still seems like a very niche skill, and the math is confusing as well.

Q: How much true damages does it do? Is it just a 1:1 ratio? The CD thing seems kind of pointless, as it will either change it to 8.5 or most likely no change at all. I'd just get rid of it to simplify and clean up the skill.

W: Two true damage skills on one champ? Seems dangerous. Skills with a drawback are usually better as a toggle than as a passive--obviously that doesn't work too well since you have an active here. Is the damage dealt back to him true damage as well? The active seems pretty strong (fairly big AoE on the slow), but it's an okay addition. I'm just not feeling this skill as it is. Maybe you can just use the active..

E: Not a good skill. Passive sustain that would make him very frustrating to fight against but wouldn't feel fun or impactful to use. As far as I understand he would be regenerating 66 health a second in teamfights (at highest level) without item interaction... seems a little strong. Anyways, I see why the skill is here (needed sustain for top lane) but I think this skill needs a rework.

R: Well, it certainly would be fun to use. What if he rolled himself and could pick up allied champions? That seems like it would be really cool. Overall, I like this skill. Good job.

Overall: If you wanted to make a "tank killer" I think you could come up with some more creative ways to do it then just adding a lot of true damage to the kit. As he stands right now, he's essentially just a permanent hard counter to anyone tanky with zero chance for counterplay--plus he's not even overly-specialized with a bunch of CC, sustain, and some mobility. I'm just not seeing all the skills mesh together at this point. That being said, there are some excellent concepts at work here, and I'm excited to see the changes you come up with. Thanks for the awesome idea, and good luck as you continue champcrafting!

--Skyhawk47, CCF Council--