What should be a requirement for *NEW SUMMONERS*

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keddrick

09-21-2012

I know this will get negative feed back from people, but I think this is really necessary for new players.

When a new account is created, summoners should be forced into either looking free champions' guides (even if its nothing more than clicking on the link)

http://http://na.leagueoflegends.com...iven_the_exile

or clicking the champion's profile to read the "Tips & Items" tab as well as view the "Ability" tab.

I say this cause I am very disappointed in myself for last week's performance with Riven. I downloaded the game Wednesday, it was my 1st ever moba/dota so I was completely inexperienced. I wish I had read a few strategy guides before I jumped into playing.

Reason - I (being the super overwhelmed noob I am) was buying AP items for Riven (who has 0 usage for AP items btw) because I thought all "Ability Powers" were boosted with "Ability Items"

Even though I was doing very well (dps/bruiser style) player, I now realize, after reading a few strategies guides, that I was completely wasting my gold on AP items cause AP is 100% useless to Riven. All her abilities come from AP! Of course its too late for me to go back (she's so expensive) and play with Riven with a correct build. I also was using her wrong (outside of her roll) because I was using her to push lanes. Even though this got me easy minion/champion farm/kills, I realize I could have been much more effective if I understood her role.

Fortunately, even being as ignorant as I was to how champions have roles, with Alistar (who I have from likeing youtube page) I owned. Because he actually is a pusher and relies heavily on AP to be effective.

Of course, pro players who create new accounts will be annoyed by this, but I really enjoy reading champion profile's and seeing this abilities in action (would be "radicool" if you could demo any champion in a practice mode) so I assume a lot of other "noob" players would enjoy these vids as well.

I've spent as much time in forums, reading strategy guides and watching videos as I have actually playing in games.

ACGIFT

09-21-2012

This is why the game has things like a tutorial, and a heavy emphasis on you playing botmatches for a bit before you get into PvP; it gives you a chance to familiarize yourself with the champion and its gameplay. (it's always recommended to do at least one botmatch with a brand-new champ before going PvP) You ARE a new player, after all, so you're not going to understand everything at first: this is a rather large and complex game, in spite of many of its outward appearances.

You're going to have a LOOOT of matches to play before you hit level 30; depending on the type, I'd say it's safe to estimate a minimum of 4-500. (now that you've hit level 5 you'll notice your level-up requires are going up REALLY fast; it requires over 40,000 EXP to hit level 30)

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

09-21-2012

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

You want to have support for new players to learn, but forcing them to do things is a really silly thing. This is especially true when some people learn that much better by doing than trying to read a manual.

Magus Crow

09-21-2012

Riven, roll, what?

Riven DOES NOT want to roll her skills one after the other as it significantly reduces the amount of damage she puts out. In an indeal situation you want to hit an auto attack in between each and every skill activation to proc your passive.

Keddrick

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus Crow View Post
Riven, roll, what?

Riven DOES NOT want to roll her skills one after the other as it significantly reduces the amount of damage she puts out. In an indeal situation you want to hit an auto attack in between each and every skill activation to proc your passive.
I know that now. I still don't fully understand how it works, but I do know to use this combo a RaaQaaEaaWaaQaaQ <--- massive damage (have to use E in earlier stages cause a lot of people start fleeing at early levels after that 1st Q attack

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2 View Post
I know that now. I still don't fully understand how it works, but I do know to use this combo a RaaQaaEaaWaaQaaQ <--- massive damage (have to use E in earlier stages cause a lot of people start fleeing at early levels after that 1st Q attack
try saying that out loud

on the subject, I think this is a pretty bad idea. If players want to learn a champion, they should just read his description, skills, tips when playing him and against him..

Amedaius

09-21-2012

Riven is my favorite champ. You could LOOK at her recommended build (even though it's ****) and quickly figure out she doesn't need any AP items.

Even though the recommended builds are never "right", at least for noobs, they aren't too bad, and not as bad as going in blind.

If a player wants to do well with a champ they will look up a guide. If not they deserve to die imo. It's a shame their team has to suffer but thats the way it goes.

Artifictional

09-21-2012

guides are toxic to the community
if you begin to build situationally for a game, like a thornmail against a yi or a negatron cloak against a fed mage, everyone on your team will be all "OMG NUB THAT IS NOT IT XXXXX's GUIDE FOR COrKI LRn2PLAY UNINSTALL YOU BADDIE NUB"

Keddrick

09-22-2012

I'm just saying for beginner players. Of course after you figure it out, you can do your own thing. I need have a custom build for each of my characters.

I can now Solo Mid with Wukong/Riven against characters like Morgan, Caitlynn and Ashe. My teammates think it's incredibly stupid at first, but I just ask them for the opportunity and upon dying 2 or 3 times, I'll let somebody else take mid. Of course I end up finishing the game mid. How you ask?

Riven = Dash causes many spells to miss, Morgan has a slight cast time on her spells, when cast it, dash diagonally towards. That's a kill if you have W to stun her, then Dash again when she starts running to finish her off.

Wukong = Instead of using decoy to escape, use decoy in the middle of fighting minions, then position yourself behind the opponent. Of course there isn't a champion alive who can escape his E, with berserker or swift shoes and Frozen Mallet, its a kill (or at least a recall for) Ashe and Morgan every time. Riven and Wukong can also destroy a turret quickly.

(The only person this strategy doesn't work against is Kog'Maw, he's a monster lol!

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaterCircleFour View Post
guides are toxic to the community
if you begin to build situationally for a game, like a thornmail against a yi or a negatron cloak against a fed mage, everyone on your team will be all "OMG NUB THAT IS NOT IT XXXXX's GUIDE FOR COrKI LRn2PLAY UNINSTALL YOU BADDIE NUB"
A guide that says 'build this, in this order, and only this order' is a bad guide.

A guide is exactly that, a guide. It isn't a recipe. Guides are there to point you in the correct direction, not play the game for you.

That said I just wanted to point out that guides are useful, not that they should be required.