Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Skin Idea: Petrified Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thryale

09-20-2012

Hey guys! It's been a while since my last skin idea and I thought Maokai was one champ that was really lacking an epic skin that did him justice. So after thinking this through for a while I've finally ironed out what it should be.

I apologize that I do not have any art of it, I currnet suck at drawing and am only beginning to take illustrator and photoshop classes in college. Therefore, I implore you MaTT.com, if you would ever be so gracious as to lend me your sheer awesomeness and draw up your rendition of this idea, I would be extremely grateful!

Okay, on to the idea:

Petrified Maokai is not the "Oh snap! he looked at Cass's ult!" this is the 'petrified wood' that can be found out in desert regions of the world. Mao would keep a similar color pallet to what he already has, but any green would be replaced with more orange and blackish red colors. He would also appear to be a cross between woody, rocky, and crystalline textures. As he walks, his joints would be grinding constantly so a faint trail of sand would be a nice touch. Cracks and fissures would also be a nice addition to mix things up, as well as some of his more rounded points being sharpened to a fine tip.

As for sound effects, his creaking and groaning would be more of a grinding of stone along with slight wooden undertones. Cracking of stone and splitting of wood would also be nice additions

His saplings would look less like roots, and more like animated sandstone monsters. When they impact the ground, instead of arcane energy, they would kick up sand as well as creating a dryer cracking effect in the ground. When they explode, bits of sandstone fly out along with a great deal of sand.

Maokai's q would have him smashing his fist down and creating a large eruption of sand and rock around him and instead of arcane energy traveling forward, it would be a shockwave of sand.

Maokai's w would have him transform into a miniature sand storm and fly towards the enemy. Few words for this one, but the effect is rather impressive. Dark browns would be near the center(indicating mao is part of the storm) and light browns and sandy colors near the edge all swirling around and flying straight at you.

Mao's ultimate is quite impressive with this skin. When he summons his ult, instead of the typical runes around the edge, weathered sandstone glyphs fly about the protective area. Inside, instead of the typical magical energy stuff, you have a large sandstorm blowing sand all throughout the designated area. Once Mao collapses his ult, the sand flying about crushes what is below while at the same time a huge explosion of sand shoots from below the enemies feet in a spectacular display of power.

Overall what do ya'll think? Is there anything I could flesh out better? Did I leave anything out?

Thryale

09-20-2012

bump

Thryale

09-21-2012

bump

Zepherus

09-21-2012

this sounds pretty awesome

Good Tibbers

09-21-2012

bump
So much want for a new maokai skin.

Thryale

09-24-2012

bump