Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oh No a Gank

09-20-2012

after trying to reconnect to the game for 30 minutes i just gave up and now it counts as a leave. Can we expect any kind of compensation in some form or another?

Trendy Ideology

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
Hi Summoners,

My name is Bellissimoh and I’m a Producer at Riot Games. My primary responsibility is to maintain the health of our global live service and ensure the quality of everyone’s League of Legends experience is as high as possible.

As some of you have recently experienced, a handful of players have been attacking our live service to kill games that are in-progress. They’re doing this through a form of Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) and not a hack.

As of yesterday’s hotfix, we’ve put some changes in place that prevent games from dying. Players in a targeted game will still experience lag and possibly be disconnected, but the client should now be able to reconnect to the game automatically and resume where it left off. To spell this out a little, if your client suddenly lags and presents you with a “Connecting screen” you should allow it to try its magic and reconnect you to the game. When it is successful this will allow you to rejoin the battle much quicker without reloading the client.

We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.

We’re doing everything we can to implement short- and long-term solutions to fight these types of activities. When someone’s intentionally ruining the experience of other players, we take it very seriously.

I’ll be watching this thread for the next hour or so to answer questions along with Akov, one of Riot's Network Engineers.

At the end of the day, our goal is to maintain a reliable and fair League of Legends service for everyone.

Ahahahahahaha

I really wanna go back and find the LoLDrop thread I was posting in (But you guys actually nuked it, hid it, or made it otherwise inaccessible (google still has it cached but the link gives me a "you are not authorized") because some dumb kids were debating if linking wiki was a valid resource for defining the differences between a DoS attack and a DDoS attack.

Couldn't resist when I noted you linked to wiki in your post.

Felaedor

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicom View Post
Hell yes! Good luck. If nothing else, I hope the offenders are sweating their balls off.
I'm interested to hear the legal argument for getting Riot's game servers flagged as protected so that DDoSing is actually a crime.

Trendy Ideology

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akov View Post
Unfortunately Lag is a very very broad topic. Most lag happens before Riot has any control or ability to help. Internet congestion along the way is something we do how ever monitor and might be able to do something in the future.

Can you guys do a PSA called "Stop calling everything that goes wrong "Lag" ?

Haptismal

09-20-2012

A lot of people have mentioned the extreme lag that is occuring in game recently despite no problems with internet or their computers. Is this caused by these attacks as well even if these particular games with players experiencing lag are not the target of a DDoS attack?

ZakaBreezy

09-20-2012

Quote:
Hi Summoners,

My name is Bellissimoh and I’m a Producer at Riot Games. My primary responsibility is to maintain the health of our global live service and ensure the quality of everyone’s League of Legends experience is as high as possible.

As some of you have recently experienced, a handful of players have been attacking our live service to kill games that are in-progress. They’re doing this through a form of Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) and not a hack.

As of yesterday’s hotfix, we’ve put some changes in place that prevent games from dying. Players in a targeted game will still experience lag and possibly be disconnected, but the client should now be able to reconnect to the game automatically and resume where it left off. To spell this out a little, if your client suddenly lags and presents you with a “Connecting screen” you should allow it to try its magic and reconnect you to the game. When it is successful this will allow you to rejoin the battle much quicker without reloading the client.

We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.

We’re doing everything we can to implement short- and long-term solutions to fight these types of activities. When someone’s intentionally ruining the experience of other players, we take it very seriously.

I’ll be watching this thread for the next hour or so to answer questions along with Akov, one of Riot's Network Engineers.

At the end of the day, our goal is to maintain a reliable and fair League of Legends service for everyone.
1. Yay that you guys are working on this!! I am very grateful and fully know that it will take longer for there to be a more permanent solution

2.ppl have found a way around this, yesterday as soon as my team lost our nexus turrets we got ddos'd, we were able to reconnect but by that time super minions had already destroyed our nexus :(

Mighty Aries

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

I can actually confirm it doesn't fix it. I played a game like.. 8 hours ago and we suddenly lagged out, when we logged back on, the game was gone. :/

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
9 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Bank robbers break into a bank. The alarm goes off, everyone knows something is going down. The robbers flee the scene. Cops show up, catching the robbers is now an ordeal of an effort.

Bank robbers break into a bank. The silent alarm goes off, robbers keep robbing. Cops show up and find the robbers in the bank, it's a bit easier to catch and identify them now.

This isn't a one to one example of why it took us so long to respond, but the key here is that issues and incidents that are security related are extremely sensitive, and require a different approach than how we normally communicate.

We understand that you guys wanted more communication sooner, and will definitely try to do better in the future.
Just to expand upon this further. DDoS events like this are very cat and mouse. Many of the initial events were quickly dealt with and we prevented futher events with out many people even knowing. But the attackers adapted, and then so did we, back and forth until one of us does something big enough to make the other person have to go back to the drawing board. Thats sorta what happened here...

TwR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

My question is, do any of us who have lost ELO from this, get compensation for our losses?

Felaedor

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1321433109832569 View Post
this retarded nonsense about illusions of grand doire
Grand doire.

You would be the one to go to if I were looking for "retarded nonsense".