Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EarthruneSkarner

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozleDorf View Post
Akov,

Do you feel like your current solution is the end-all-be-all, or this a temporary fix while another, more elaborate fix is created and applied?

Thanks for the work on it!!
To use Morello's favorite analogy, they're like car crashes. You don't fix them, you just make them less and less likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
Featured spectating will be back. As far as a definite time table, I can't really speak to that. Hate to say "soon", but it's likely to be soon.
When it is back, will it still have that memory leak?

Jiz Khalifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

How many players roughly have been caught being responsible for dropping games? A rough number on the permabans that have been handed out would be satisfying.

ploki122

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBSwimmin View Post
Edit: "...but it's likely to be soon™."
^that...

while technically, from what he was saying soon was right...

soon means "In a very close future..."
Soon™ (always capitalized) means "In a future... probably... maybe... but probably... and surely not now, since we haven't reached the point where we can say it's good enough to definitely be released one day... which is usually within 2 weeks of the release... so yeah... it'll come out... one day... later... maybe.!

Nerdchop

09-21-2012

I hope you catch these vermin. Gotta catch'em all!

Fazuzu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

I had this happen in many games for a while now, massive sudden ping spikes, and then a reconnection attempt, if I'd make it back quick from the first or second attempt, it would always get stuck after that and i'd have to kill the client in task manager and login and reconnect wasting valuable time. I'd get griped at for it sometimes as it would often happen in a fight, and in those matches teammates would often have lag spikes at the same exact times i did when I asked about it or they'd sometimes comment about it themselves. It has happened in alot of matches on some days 3 or 4 matches out of ten or so at least. there were some really bad days. when I'd have to kill the process, I'd do pingtest and get an A with no packet loss, on rare ocassions a B with no packet loss, with an 80-90% signal strength and stability on my net connection. I figured it might have been the servers or something, but this makes sense. There's probably not alot that could be done about this except for someway to block and ban IPs that begin sending a lot requests in a short time, but they'll change their IPs used through it probably. I guess this explains the loss prevented I have seen sometimes lately too.

Madcant

09-22-2012

The problem is back, it just happened to me while in a ranked game and I can't reconnect. It's been over 20 minutes now. Going to get a leave/loss for a game I was winning

BUTTON PLZ.

Aelaelia

09-22-2012

legal avenues? what are you going to do? sue the basement dwelling fat **** for his lube sock?

MrBooey

09-22-2012

Lame

Éidolon

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
Hi Summoners,

My name is Bellissimoh and I’m a Producer at Riot Games. My primary responsibility is to maintain the health of our global live service and ensure the quality of everyone’s League of Legends experience is as high as possible.

As some of you have recently experienced, a handful of players have been attacking our live service to kill games that are in-progress. They’re doing this through a form of Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) and not a hack.

As of yesterday’s hotfix, we’ve put some changes in place that prevent games from dying. Players in a targeted game will still experience lag and possibly be disconnected, but the client should now be able to reconnect to the game automatically and resume where it left off. To spell this out a little, if your client suddenly lags and presents you with a “Connecting screen” you should allow it to try its magic and reconnect you to the game. When it is successful this will allow you to rejoin the battle much quicker without reloading the client.

We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.

We’re doing everything we can to implement short- and long-term solutions to fight these types of activities. When someone’s intentionally ruining the experience of other players, we take it very seriously.

I’ll be watching this thread for the next hour or so to answer questions along with Akov, one of Riot's Network Engineers.

At the end of the day, our goal is to maintain a reliable and fair League of Legends service for everyone.
What are the addresses of these DDos hackers and what would be the quickest avenue to their doorstep? Thank you in advance.

tRa

09-22-2012

I can understand how Riot wants to find a game patch as a means to resolve this issue to stop people from using their internet to individually packet one another. But let's get real here, the children that are using this 'client' or 'hack' in order to drop people don't even realize what they are doing and how much serious trouble they could get into if Riot would be very proactive legally on this front. Point being, script kiddies using this with zero anonymity simply think they are undetectable and hell, maybe even talented in some cases. People that have any sort of assembly of network security know this is 100% false.

Now I'm sure that each person doing this individually obviously wont drop Riot servers as a whole, however I really don't see why you wouldn't be sending out warnings and let users know that notifying the authorities with continued abuse is a very real repercussion for their actions. The IFCCFBI or now IC3 is a very simple complaint form or hell even local authorities have internet complain centers now. At the VERY LEAST, a formal letter written from the legal team with the identified IP at X time verified by your network engineers/admins sent to the ISP will net some great results and you don't have to go through the entire legal process which lets face it, would cost Riot a lot of money - this would not. And I'm sure one nasty letter from an ISP to their user would freak out some parents and scare the little kids into never touching that client again and Riot would not have to be the face of the accusation - win/win in my book.

DDoS is DDoS, no matter the scale - I think it's a shame if you guys don't punch this problem in the mouth before it becomes out of control and much more difficult to handle down the road.