Computer overheats when playing LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aragni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Since the Syndra patch, my laptop overheats and then shuts off when I try to play a game. I have never had this trouble before, and it's getting frustrating to join a game to only have to be kicked from the game because it overheats. Nothing else does this to my computer, and it only happens when I am in a game. Is there a way to fix this?

Tentakewls

09-20-2012

Try reinstalling java

spicytaco69

09-20-2012

try updating to windows 98

Marcellos

09-20-2012

Check your fans, could be a coincidence.

Install Core Temp, run a custom with bots and check your temp. Check it when you are not running anything. Finally, check it while run another game. Post results.

Rabidwhale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Thats what happens when you turn a toaster on, it gets hot.

elmcninja

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragni View Post
Since the Syndra patch, my laptop overheats and then shuts off when I try to play a game. I have never had this trouble before, and it's getting frustrating to join a game to only have to be kicked from the game because it overheats. Nothing else does this to my computer, and it only happens when I am in a game. Is there a way to fix this?
Laptop may just be getting older, dirtier, etc, with the timing being coincidental.
First step should be cleaning it.
Really, really cleaning it.
Get a small soft bristle brush and some compressed air, crack that thing open, and get it shiny inside, with particular attention to the fans, any of those foam filter thingies (replace if possible, clean if you can, remove if not, and you might not have them anyhow), and lint that could block air flow.
Bonus is that even if it is a difference in resource usage, you will run coolar anyhow.
While you're in there, make sure that all fans are, in fact, still functioning. If not, replace them too.

I See Stars

09-20-2012

Use HWmonitor and check your temps.

There could be dust in the vents or you may need to reapply thermal paste onto your CPU as sometimes it degrades and will cause overheating.

DoozleDorf

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmcninja View Post
Laptop may just be getting older, dirtier, etc, with the timing being coincidental.
First step should be cleaning it.
Really, really cleaning it.
Get a small soft bristle brush and some compressed air, crack that thing open, and get it shiny inside, with particular attention to the fans, any of those foam filter thingies (replace if possible, remove if not, and you might not have them anyhow), and lint that could block air flow.
Bonus is that even if it is a difference in resource usage, you will run coolar anyhow.
While you're in there, make sure that all fans are, in fact, still functioning. If not, replace them too.
^^ this exactly ^^

I took mine in (don't trust myself to 'crack that thing open') to a mom & pop computer shop. They dismantled it, cleaned it, reapplied heat paste, and now it runs ultra-cool (had a huge lint ball stuck inside the graphic card cooling fins near the fan output vents).

Zerglinator

09-20-2012

Get Jayce Computers, ask Rumble for a refund.

elmcninja

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?? ?? View Post
Use HWmonitor and check your temps.

There could be dust in the vents or you may need to reapply thermal paste onto your CPU as sometimes it degrades and will cause overheating.
Thermal paste does degrade (less so if it's good quality- OEM won't be), but be careful when you do this, if you do this. Buy some rubbing alcohol (NON SCENTED. People also say acetone works- I use alchohol) and use Q tips to do so. If it's really degraded and is difficult to get off, buy a flat plastic scraper from a craft store. Make sure all fibers, dust, etc is removed prior to reapplication (will form a heat pocket). Buy good replacement paste (arctic silver's always worked for me), apply a little bit and carefully smooth it out while making sure there's no bubbles. Don't gob it on. The instructions will tell you that you can just put a dab in the middle and that the sink will press it out- I've always noticed a temp difference when I actually smooth it carefully over the whole surface.