Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen or Maokai?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LSA

09-20-2012

I've been playing Blitz lately and I love the whole support tank thing, it's fun helping everyone get kills. Shen and Maokai look pretty fun but I only have enough IP to get one of them. I'll eventually get both later, but which one would you guys recommend for me?

I'm also open to other suggestions.

edit: Also, should I consider Skarner?

Jeanschyso

09-20-2012

I would suggest Shen between those two, but I personally have had so much more success with Leona.

Alistar is another great one, but I prefer him in the jungle.

basically, CC wins the game with tank supports, so you will want the most utility from your CC.

Leona has a stun, a snare, an aoe-slow or stun, depending on how you used it.

Shen has a means to make something out of Thornmail, an escape/closer which is also a taunt, and doesn't need to be with the team to be there when the fight starts, wich makes for great coordinated baits.

Maokai has a slow, a snare, and can increase his team's defense(I'm not really used to maokai so bear with errors and correct please? )

Alistar Knocks up and knocks back, and he's one of the most resilient characters in the game when he activates his ultimate ability.

What I'm trying to say here, is that depending on your team, you might want Shen, while in another team, Maokai might be more useful, or maybe Leona. I'd suggest going for the most versatile regarding the team comp between your two champions: Shen. He can also be played in the jungle, or solo top, and he's a general badass that alot of people are crying about.

Andarel

09-20-2012

If you're looking for support tanks, there are mitigating tanks and CC-bots. Maokai is the former - he sits on the field and reduces the damage his team takes by a significant amount (up to 20% iirc), while snaring someone from a distance and occasionally dropping a mild AoE interrupt with his Smash. Shen is less tanky than Maokai, actually, especially when it comes to tanking for his team: his main benefit is that he split pushes like a boss (terribly but safely) and that when he builds piles of health he still does pretty decent damage. That and the random ability to hop through walls and AoE taunt everyone without spending any mana doing so.

Skarner is a lot more aggresive than Shen or Maokai - he's a super-fast jungler who can keep an enemy permanently slowed, and his ganks post-6 are basically guaranteed kills. His actual CC is a lot less disruptive than Maokai's, but he's less tanky and doesn't make his team tankier - just himself with his shield on W.

Alistar is good to have, but he's free if you subscribe to Riot's youtube channel so it's k.

Anyhow, Maokai sounds more like what you're looking for but it's really up to you. He doesn't have Shen's free reign of the map, but he's better at helping his team when he is there and his ganks are really scary when they don't backfire horribly. On the other hand, if you find Shen more fun, he's also a really powerful champ and has probably the best non-ultimate CC move in the game with his Shadow Dash.

LSA

09-20-2012

Thanks for the answers guys.

But anyway, I tried Maokai on my friends account and I didn't like him at all. Not saying he's a bad champion, but he's really not my style. I'm open for any other suggestions though, I'm still considering Shen. I guess I'm looking for someone with a lot of utility (not the mastery branch) but can still deal decent damage and rake in lots of kills for the team.

Andarel

09-20-2012

If you're looking for utility + decent damage, try Mundo or Nautilus. They're both tanky, Naut with a lot of CC and Mundo with the ability to run around not dying and dealing pretty solid damage, slowing enemies.

Jeanschyso

09-21-2012

Basically, mundo has the ability to go wherever he pleases, while Nautilus has the ability to dive (puns intended)
the CC from naut is magic in a can too

oh, and Andrael, there's a new item build that's been the rage for shen in the games I played.. tank + ionic spark. there you go, superb split pushing

Andarel

09-21-2012

Ionic Spark makes Shen a better split pusher; though you can swap it for Wit's End to get more teamfight damage / MR. The amount it improves his split push is more a function of how bad his wave clearing is naturally, though...

Jeanschyso

09-21-2012

haha yea.. I guess in one of the 10 fans of Ionic spark in the whole league of legends player base XD

SOL Actual

09-21-2012

Never really played Maokai... ever.. so I can't give advice as to him.

But Shen is great fun assuming you ever get to play him, and Skarner is a beast with the right runes.

Magus Crow

09-21-2012

I'd second Naut and throw out a recomendation for looking at Amumu as well.