I need (read: would like) to learn to play a jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Creepy4

09-19-2012

Basically what I'm looking for is spelled out in the topic of this title. As of now I can take on most of the positions that my team needs, with only a hole left in the jungler spot. I'd like to learn to play a jungle champ, but a lot of the ones I've tried, I've not had success with.

Champs I've tried to jungle with, based on others' suggestions are: Nocturne, Skarner, Shaco, Warwick, Fiddlesticks, Gangplank, and Nunu, all of whom resulted in no success, and occasional horrible results (Skarner... playing Skarner went extremely badly). I've also failed at jungle Kayle, despite that I don't much mind Kayle top.

I'm considering trying Mundo next, and hoping I'll have some success with him, as he's the only remaining jungler that I remember being suggested to me who I've yet to try.

The positions/champions I do like to play are as follows:

Mid: Lux, Anivia, Twisted Fate, Zyra
Top: Jayce, Kayle, Teemo
Bot: Tristana
Support: Lulu, Janna

Note: I'm not particularly competitive. I don't really concern myself with issues of ranked games, nor do I ever plan to start doing so. I just want to be able to do a little bit of whatever is needed of me, that's all.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Udyr's free right now, try him.

edit: Oh, you're level 18 without runes for jungling. That's going to make jungling a lot more difficult.

Creepy4

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Udyr's free right now, try him.

edit: Oh, you're level 18 without runes for jungling. That's going to make jungling a lot more difficult.
Yeah, I'm working on that. Should be able to get my tier 3 runes by this weekend, hopefully.

AlphaWeeaboo

09-19-2012

I wouldn't really say runes for jungling are really needed all that much (they do help of course) but as long as you got a decent mastery page you should be set.

Personally I would highly recommend giving Warwick a try. Jungling was a role I feared to play but I gave Warwick a go and it just came easy and natural. He's one of the safer junglers because of his kit and passive which has a built in lifesteal sorta. Remember to start with his W not his Q. Common mistake Warwick junglers make. Only problem with him is some people aren't able to gank before level 6 with him.

I would also suggest giving Master Yi a try in jungle. He's really easy as well.

Creepy4

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWeeaboo View Post
I wouldn't really say runes for jungling are really needed all that much (they do help of course) but as long as you got a decent mastery page you should be set.

Personally I would highly recommend giving Warwick a try. Jungling was a role I feared to play but I gave Warwick a go and it just came easy and natural. He's one of the safer junglers because of his kit and passive which has a built in lifesteal sorta. Remember to start with his W not his Q. Common mistake Warwick junglers make. Only problem with him is some people aren't able to gank before level 6 with him.

I would also suggest giving Master Yi a try in jungle. He's really easy as well.
I have tried Warwick, it didn't go very well... Yi I haven't tried in jungle, but I was sub-par with him in lane.

Berthkgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Add me, I get off work at 4 AM EST and can help you out.

thepantsparty

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy4 View Post
Yeah, I'm working on that. Should be able to get my tier 3 runes by this weekend, hopefully.
The difference between no runes and a 2/3 set of tier 3 runes is huge, and I'd honestly wait until you hit whatever level unlocks tier 3 because of how much of a difference it makes in simply being able to clear the jungle especially when you're new at it. Armor yellows are a must-have, and most junglers want attack speed reds (helps with faster jungler clears) and movement speed quints (helps with better ganks).

Creepy4

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthkgar View Post
Add me, I get off work at 4 AM EST and can help you out.
I don't think I'll be awake, sorry.

Friesguy

09-19-2012

Wait until you can get armor yellows. I was a person very much like you, and just started jungling recently (level 30 actually). Try out your jungling in custom games with just bots. You'll get the feel of it since it is the weirdest role to learn in the game. I second that ww pick. He's good for teaching you the basics. And just because you've had a few bad matches with a champ doesn't mean give up hope. Just keep working on it and strive to improve.

Unholy Fenrir

09-19-2012

runes are not needed, starting items are crucial to each hero for instance WW can start with armor and 3 pots as trundle can start with just a vamp scepter playing safe is armor and 5 pots for standard junglers and is required by some of the uncommon junglers.

trundle by far is the easiest jungler imo fast clear nice passive to assist over 70% hp full clears but downside is ganking pre boots is quite hard.

jungle routes is very important depending on the hero, some champs start at red mostly because they dont use mana, most start at blue for the CDR and mana regen due to being mana hungry at early levels. after the first clear jungling becomes less of a route and more of a situational thing like wraiths are up and mid is pushing but not quite overextended to be able to gank so you take wraiths and go gank.

item build is usually the same core as wriggles and boots ect but can vary depending on the hero looking at such sites like solomid and mobafire can help you drasticly to improve your jungle.