Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Lyte, do you really think people will honor the other team?

Sydelle

09-20-2012

Very nice! Thanks for listening, Lyte.

xDanielWang

09-20-2012

This is exactly what I wanted ^-^ (besides a replay system, but thats ok)
I still vividly remember that time where I was a lvl 20 ahri getting completely demolished by a LeBlanc but that good guy alistar was still being nice.

I think overall, this is going to make LoL much much more friendlier

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
49 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeb Lincoln View Post
#1 update Season 2.

Balance changes, champ reworks, PFE, legendary skins, refunds, RP bonus, jungle rework all come second to this update.

I love you so much right now, you have no idea. It's actually gotten to the point where I wish I could report some players with the message "This guy was the nicest guy ever. If he ever makes it to the tribunal, look at this report, and see the good he has brought to the game." But abusing the report feature is against the Summoner's Code. NOW I CAN. And it's called honor.

So, Riot. Thank you. Seriously.

Can I get the name of the employee who pushed hard for this update to go through? Or, if not, can their manager just take note of how great this update is and shake their hand? Because it's that big.
The team is really happy that you and other players are excited about this initiative A quick little story: Yegg actually started designing a rough draft of the system months ago but was moved off to work on Spectator Mode and Directed Camera. davin also yearned for a positive feedback system in League and did several research studies to inform future design teams. This was long before my time.

When I first arrived at Riot, we took a serious look at player behavior and decided to create Team Player Behavior--we felt the player behavior problem needed a dedicated team to work on a suite of solutions because it was obvious there was no silver bullet. Independently, kitae (another designer!) actually had scribbled this super messy drawing of how a potential "upvote" system might look like and pulled it from the depths of her inbox and sent it to me.

Our senior producer RiotGTez, co-founders Tryndamere and Ryze then asked us what Team Player Behavior wanted to work on. It seemed obvious: Yes, there would always be a subset of players that would be forever toxic, so we need solutions to deal with these players. However, the majority of the player behavior problem in League of Legends actually comes from the average player who occasionally is bad--perhaps after a bad day at school or work. These players aren't innately toxic, they are toxic due to context. So how do we tackle these problems?

We wanted to follow-through and complete the "stick" systems like the Tribunal because they would always be necessary to identify the forever toxic players in the game; however, we're sorely lacking on "carrots" to encourage the average player to lean good when they could have been bad. Our leadership said "Make it happen" and Honor was born.

The Tribunal might be the 1st solution we had for player behavior, but Honor is the 2nd. We hope you players will stick with us for #3.

Lyte

09-20-2012
50 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
I'm a bit scared, Lyte.

So the friends that I play with, I 'cannot' honor even if I think they deserve it? I usually never queue without one of my friends, and while I understand that it's bad to say megahonor my ranked team members or the friends that I queue with, but it sounds like if I honor one of my skype friends just once, then I'm sent to the moon. Reassure me?

I'm otherwise ecstatic about this!
You can definitely Honor friends if they truly deserve it. Honoring a friend every single game you play with them just because you like them is where the system gets suspicious.

Lyte

09-20-2012
51 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessdeath159 View Post
.... no, scientists do reveal their experiments, thats the point actually
Ideally not before the experiment I am happy to talk about results after the experiment!

GAVE HIM THE D

09-20-2012

does honor help overturn reports? i believe people that get reported are seen as always being "toxic"

DreamwalkerLin

09-20-2012

Lyte has really changed the game, willing to accept suggestions and quickly implement them.

Inquest the Mild

09-20-2012

lyte, do you know how old players are?

canadiancolbs

09-20-2012

No peer reviewed case study. Seems legit.