Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skuttie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Gif honor or feed

Corregidor

09-20-2012

Hello lyte, i was wondering if this is just an experimental feature that may be taken out if proven ineffective or if it will be revamped

Aeb Lincoln

09-20-2012

#1 update Season 2.

Balance changes, champ reworks, PFE, legendary skins, refunds, RP bonus, jungle rework all come second to this update.

I love you so much right now, you have no idea. It's actually gotten to the point where I wish I could report some players with the message "This guy was the nicest guy ever. If he ever makes it to the tribunal, look at this report, and see the good he has brought to the game." But abusing the report feature is against the Summoner's Code. NOW I CAN. And it's called honor.

So, Riot. Thank you. Seriously.

Can I get the name of the employee who pushed hard for this update to go through? Or, if not, can their manager just take note of how great this update is and shake their hand? Because it's that big.

magik8ball

09-20-2012

I'm curious about how a recent situation would've played out with the honor system.

I queued with a premade, and we went against one of the worst teams we've gone against in a long time. However, one of them, in addition to having an awesome name, actually played well and didn't complain at all. For the next few games, we told random people on the other team about this awesome person with the awesome name.

So that brings up two questions: can you give honor outside of a game? Also, if you advocate for everyone to give honor to a certain person (not you), does that break the system in some way?

DaMiTzNhan

09-20-2012

Toxic is Riots favorite word.

But it is also my favorite TM.

slaya45

09-20-2012

But what does honor do for me?

I think honor should have a reward system, where you earn honor and the more you have, the more ip you receive at the end of the game. I would like to think it could be up to 1.5X more ip earned per game, but a more realistic figure would be 1.2X. This would fix the IP crisis that we have been complaining about by giving a steady and reliable flow of ip. I am no saint in games, and I act out sometimes, but with something like this implemented I would step up my 'good guy' game.

Shyhalu

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.
We ask "How the hell are you a doctor" not because of positive reinforcement.....but because you can't forsee the trolling impact of what you make....Eerything you guys have put together has been trolled to no end and continues to be....now we have people mashing the pardon button in tribunal, good players afraid to report people....and now we have champ select trolls making people wait over an hour to get in game since some genius over there decided waiting 30+ minutes because you dodged a game is acceptable.

This honor system will be trolled just like the tribunal, just like reporting, and just like champ select....and your credentials will still be questioned.

Shyhalu

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1n0ypr1de View Post
Hello lyte, i was wondering if this is just an experimental feature that may be taken out if proven ineffective or if it will be revamped
It will be proven to be ineffective and they will just brush it under the rug and pretend it works.....just like tribunal.

Torinux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

And for us who have been banned, hope this gave us the reputation we really deserve, it is sad that we weren't able to receive "good points" to show people we are not that bad, and give "good reviews" to the people who deserve it.

Happy to hear you giving us the chance to both, show we, former banned players are not that asses and the chance to give props to the ones that deserve them.

LordRandomness

09-20-2012

Suggestions:

1 - Give 1 starting Honor to everyone who suggested this. (A lot of people did )

2 - Do NOT offer rewards. Honor needs to only be its own reward, or people will try and find a way to "Honor farm". They might succeed, or they might just screw everyone's game up in the process.

3 - Once a player reaches 40 Honor, they automatically win the game.

4 - Once a player reaches -20 Honor, they automatically lose the game when they next respawn.

5 - If a team's four Prov- er, three Inhibitors and Nexus are destroyed, they lose.

6 - If a team manages to get all of the Rings into play, they get an automatic victory.

7 - This isn't a suggestion, but good on you for getting this system through. It's clear evidence that Riot knows how to progress their model according to playerbase wishes and not stagnate, which is a healthy sign for things to come. Plus, the system itself is good.

8 - Opponents who hear Pantheon's taunt and then proceed to duel him and lose should receive 1 Honor.

9 - Pantheon himself should gain movespeed the more Honor his summoner has.

10 - Honor should be expressed both as a raw number and as a ratio. The ratio is important so that summoners who spend all their time playing don't end up with higher Honor totals by default.

11 - There should be a "current" Honor count that only counts your last X matches or last X weeks or some such, as well as and separate from a "total" Honor count. This helps prevent "honor stockpiling": playing nice for a bunch of games, then using that as a licence to go around being a dick.

12 - Current Honor should be visible in Tribunal cases...IF it's above a certain threshold (to prevent "herp derp 0 Honor, INSTAPUNISH" from being a viable tactic). Basically, Honor-based character assessments help people in Tribunal cases, but cannot harm them.

13 - Allow "False honor" to be grantable: Something that looks like Honor to the person, but is actually a report (report category: "Dishonorable", generally used for trying to extort Honor or otherwise subvert the free will process of giving it). This is a catch-all for Honor abuse systems.

14 - This is almost certainly already done, but Honor granting must be post-game only (so you can't feed in game and say you'll stop if allies give you Honor)

15 - Allow Honor to be granted to enemies. Sometimes it's someone in allchat that makes your day.

16 - On second thoughts, if your system is really perfect enough to avoid abuse, go ahead and stick rewards on.

17 - Once a month, send a player his or her "Honor report card". Similar to Tribunal reports, this tells them what they were honored for over the past month.