Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrMrStark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

When I first read this I thought, "Pfft, now people will just be nice to each other because of honor and not because they should be nice to each other."
Then I realized, "Wait, this might make people be nicer to each other."

MagicChicken

09-20-2012

1) Isn't WINNING a psychological reinforcement for good behavior, since good behavior leads to WINNING (and all the things that come with that: IP, ELO, etc?)

2) Is there protocal within the system that forces players to actually think critically about why a person deserves honor (rather than just giving honor to a player who plays well in a match, and a report to player who played "unskilled" or poorly in a match?)

TWKommisar

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There will certainly be ways to keep track of your Honor. We'll be revealing more of the feature as we head towards launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In almost all of the last few cases, you'd run out of Honor soon. We purposely made the exact amounts of Honor you have to give invisible so we could make adjustments to your Honor 'pool.'
Hey Lyte,

While these two statements aren't explicitly contradictory, they do seem to conflict with each other somewhat.

Obviously showing players "You have XX honor" is not necessary (or even beneficial) to the system, but there needs to be some kind of user-facing feedback is needed to make the system work.

Can you give any additional details about how this will work? Will players have a gauge for how much honor they have been given, but not how much they have in their "pool"?

PS: I'm really excited to see this put in place!

Karthaingo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

I love this idea. I keep saying to my friends how I wish there was a "recomend" or a "like" button for some players and that it was a shame that there is only one for reporting.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
46 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusVen View Post
Someone mentioned that they used Xbox's Rep system only on their friends, and while this was not the point of their post, it brings up something that worries me: What's to stop groups from banding together and "upvote spamming" each other, like in similar systems on Youtube, etc? Will there be a cohesive system monitoring for this, and how will it distinguish between a genuinely Honorable player and someone with friends willing to abuse the system?
You'll only be able to Honor those you find in matchmade games. It'll be quite difficult to band together and "spam" Honor on someone. It's a bit easier in super high Elo where the pool is small, but that's easily detected.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
47 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWKommisar View Post
Hey Lyte,

While these two statements aren't explicitly contradictory, they do seem to conflict with each other somewhat.

Obviously showing players "You have XX honor" is not necessary (or even beneficial) to the system, but there needs to be some kind of user-facing feedback is needed to make the system work.

Can you give any additional details about how this will work? Will players have a gauge for how much honor they have been given, but not how much they have in their "pool"?

PS: I'm really excited to see this put in place!
You'll be able to see how much you are given; however, you won't be able to see exactly how many you have to give. These are two separate pools though!

SMlTH

09-20-2012

Hi Lyte,

Is this new Honor something you're looking into adding to the Tribunal as a reward for people with high % of correct judgements?

Flakes

09-20-2012

Is offering other players honor during champion select -- to encourage them to pick a certain role/champion -- a valid use of the honor system?

For example, compensating a last-pick player who may otherwise be reluctant to play support

Noboty

09-20-2012

Some questions I would like answered regarding this honor system.

1. Is it possible to lose honor someone has obtained? I ask in case some player gets the idea to act nice to build honor, then, when they think they have enough, start showing their true colors as one of the "Toxic" players this system was made to weed out.

2. Is there a such thing as "negative Honor"? If so, how does one acquire it? Being reported? Being reported AND punished? If so, does it take a certain amount of "nega-honor" for action to be taken against you?

3. What is the benefit of gathering Honor? Does honor have any effect on matchmaking? Is it possible for us to influence who we get paired with based on how much honor a person has?

StriderXplosive

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderXplosive View Post
Hello Lyte I have some questions and idea

Question:

Will this work kind of like Xbox live reputation system, where you can only give that eprson a rating 1 time so that it is not abused and your friends or foes can spam good/bad reviews on your profile?

Idea:

If there could be a way to implement an area in the profile of a player where you can see if that player has good bad/reviews that would be gr8. For example: I go check my buddy "Player X" and in his profile I go to player "Reputation or reviews" and I see people have given him good reviews as in (thumbs up) over bad reviews (thumbs down) I think most people would enjoy playing with this player and he seems like a fun and not aggressive-trollesk type of guy other people will have a chance to see these stats and know that this person is reliable and not offensive (troller).

On the other hand, I go into "Player Y" and on his profile he has mostly bad reviews because he has been banned a few times. Mostly trolls games and insults his team. Is infamous for going AFK and leaving games. Has more bad reviews then good ones. This person is mostly toxic and is somebody who needs to:

A- Improve his behavior because the community has categorized him as a toxic player and he needs to bring up his rep through good acts in game.

B- Quit the game because most people won't take the chance of playing with this player nor can he troll anyone because PRIOR to the game people can see this player is problematic.

I got this crazy idea from an Anime called Sword Art Online (amazing anime which you guys at Riot should check out if you haven't) where they have a color indicator for players who PK (player kill) and players who are good and well conducted. PKers have a RED indicator, as where none PKers or none offenders have a GREEN indicator. Maybe this can be implemented in away into league? A system that indicates a players reputation on his avatar in the pre-game lobby? Maybe these "reputation points" can divide the good citizens and the bad ones and Que them up individually and together? The bad with the bad and the good with the good type of thing?

I am glad you are encouraging good behavior. It's about time. But I can see this will have some flaws because nobody knows who is good and who is bad till "Welcome to summoners rift" blast through your speakers and the game starts. We need to prevent trollers from messing people games up PRIOR to even playing. Not after they have already done the bad deed. I think this idea (if further developed) can most certainly make this game enjoyable for those who come to ENJOY the game. And none enjoyable for those who come to suck the joy out of it.

I would really like your insight on my thoughts Lyte. Thank you for your time.

GL HF Enjoy yourselves!
Any feedback Lyte?