Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bradles

09-19-2012

you might want to check out this thread:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=29452775

Vemon

09-19-2012

I will troll everyone with my kindness >=)

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
To be specific, you only reveal the experiment and the results afterwards. If you reveal the purposes of the experiment before, then any eventual behaviors could be biased.
Way to be biased towards human-subject psychology experiments. I have never had any of my cell-lines show behavioral biases when I tell them all about my plans.

This is an exciting system though! Looking forward to it going live. The PB&J team has been on top of things lately, and I love reading the reasons you guys give for everything. Its great getting to actually see some insight into the methodology/science for everything from marketing to design to player support.

ChaosBloodterfly

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenn View Post
There's a difference, that being that my ranked games usually aren't filled with terrible low rated players disillusioned into thinking they're actually good at LoL.
As opposed to the forums, which is almost exclusively terrible low rated players thinking they have a clue.

I can see how you might miss this difference, though.
I've been seen platinum play to 800 ELO, and the higher the ELO, the more dicks and dick waving you see.

I can see how you might miss the difference.

Zeninth

09-19-2012

Finally a positive reinforcement system! I'm guessing the "rewards" will be something quite visible to increase the positive behaviour (mentoring, kindness, not raging, conversational chat in matches, etc).

Riot might do special forum avatars or badges or give RP or IP as rewards, but I'm thinking something really visible like special Honor skins would be the best advertisement.

"OMG that skin is so nice, I've never seen it before!"

"Oh it's one of the new honor skins you can redeem if you have a high Honor rating. This one is Honor Alistar. I love his shining golden chains around his body that looks like something from an Olympian god."

I think if this feature is implemented well it could change the face of the game. Even though the majority of players are decent and only a small minority are really toxic, all you need is 1 troll to ruin a match for 9 other players.

FilthySaint

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
At a pretty high level, we know from psychology that positive reinforcement is a good way to improve human behavior. Some trolls are no doubt going to continue to be trolls and be picked up by the Tribunal; however, some players who are 'skirting' the line between good and bad may decide to lean good because Honor exists. One of our goals in Team Player Behavior is to ensure that it's easier to be good than it is to be toxic.

For the good players, this is a way for us to celebrate them and reinforce that they are exactly the type of players we want in League of Legends.
And others will just be completely evil because they want the horns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyte View Post
let's all give riotlobster (developer), riotbahamut (developer), saypopguys (developer), vonburgermeister (ux designer), scezumin (developer), binaryvision (developer), riotworldpeace (qa), ryedan (visual designer) and robbypoo (developer) some riot fistbumps for bringing this feature into league!

Also, don't forget team player behavior's producers statuskwoh and riotseb!
...///'.'/.`....
../'./../..../.....:^.\ .
.'(.......... '.../'...'/...
.\.................'...../.... .
..'\'...\....\..... _.......
....\...............\....

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-19-2012
17 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxe Out View Post
Start of game " [All] I'ma honor everyone, everyone honor me? We all get points K?" Easy leveling up on honor system.
This is the easiest way to lose everything and be punished automatically.

XianL

09-19-2012

Hey Lyte, might as well add to the pile - sounds exciting! As a pretty positive player already, I can't wait to reap the benefits of doing so Can't WAIT until the Halls of Justice and The Honor system is rolled out!

ZwaY

09-19-2012

This is a change that I think should of been introduced earlier, but at least they are doing it now.

Hopefully it will clean up the player base a bit.

Sveszon

09-19-2012

I'm very excited about this! I always consider myself to try to be a good, compassionate player, (Although I do fly off the handle every once in a while. I'm only human, and we all have let emotions get the best of us) and I'm excited to see what rewards might come from this, and how it may change the community. Even if the rewards are something as small as a summoner icon, a border at the loading screen, a forum icon, or as big as a skin, an IP boost, or free RP, I'm sure there will be people who will change their behaviors and strive to rank up in this system.