Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-19-2012
6 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutskii View Post
@Lyte:

What is honor?

Is it a currency? (can it buy things?)

Is it something that unlocks rewards?

Or is it just like.. a badge of honor that doesn't do anything in particular.

Wondering.
You'll have to find out when you start using the feature, a scientist never reveals his experiments.

Rajneeshius

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
At a pretty high level, we know from psychology that positive reinforcement is a good way to improve human behavior. Some trolls are no doubt going to continue to be trolls and be picked up by the Tribunal; however, some players who are 'skirting' the line between good and bad may decide to lean good because Honor exists. One of our goals in Team Player Behavior is to ensure that it's easier to be good than it is to be toxic.

For the good players, this is a way for us to celebrate them and reinforce that they are exactly the type of players we want in League of Legends.
Are there any perks/rewards for earning honor or did you feel that it could be easily abused?

Zoram

09-19-2012

here is the question I pose

Beside the fact that there is an honor system and it displays your level of honor, what are benefits for having a large honor level?

Also, how does it work if a troll decides to not honor, but remove honor from a player who was actually being good?

Also can we report people for trying to honor each other pregame to artificially inflate their honor?

I guess that was 3 questions not 1 XD

But you are a god lyte. Thank you. Well not a god, that is heresy, but perhaps a saint. A purple saint with a santa hat.... and many eyeballs.

Yaddar

09-19-2012

HODOR hodor HODOR

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-19-2012
7 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwahn View Post
Well damn; I only really play with premades, everyone else is too ******y.(maybe this will help with that) No honor for me.
We've made sure that there are some avenues of progress in the Honor system even if you solely play with premade friends. For example, your opponents can still Honor you for being humble in victory.

ARGorilla

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
You'll have to find out when you start using the feature, a scientist never reveals his experiments.

Scientists write entire journals about their experiment, its basically unwritten law that you publish any study or experiment that you conduct lol

Blade

09-19-2012

Are you able to remove honor for someone as well as add it? I feel like trolls will just remove honor from people just to be jerks.

Yaddar

09-19-2012

but yah, what happens if someone gets 3 reports and 3 honors on one game?

like he was VERY kind to his teammates and helpful but annoyed the enemy team (or vice versa)lets say 4 honor from teammates vs 5 reports from enemies?... you can't get to 5 honor from your team
or 4 reports from your team but 5 honor from the enemy?... (like, he was a nice guy having a bad game with a 4-man premade)

ChaoticHeavens

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDerp Solo View Post
The problem, as with all problems in this game, is that none of these systems have any impact in games which are dodged because of pre-game trolling.
Almost every community related issue starts before the game starts - and often times, nobody actually thinks they are trolling - or they intentionally claim to troll just to get someone else to dodge in response to someone else' trolling first.

Player #4 "Calls" top. Player #1 or #2 "Picks" a top champ and says "first pick picks first". Player #4 says "Dual top" and takes sona with Revive and Smite or something. Player #5 says well screw this I'm trolling too and takes smite revive Ashe and is going to jungle. Someone either dodges or everyone resigns themselves to playing a lost game just to report whomever they saw as being the troll that started it. Usually #4 and #5 would, at the very last second, change summoner spells to appear legit.

I'm sure almost everyone has seen that play out dozens, or even hundreds, of times - I know I did before finally giving up until Riot actually does something about this.
No, your "positive reinforcement" isn't going to do squat against the "MIDORIFEED" mindset that takes place before the game starts.
Not sure why people downvoted you. This community and their downvote trigger finger or something.

Anyways, THIS particular system is not meant to solve problems like you mentioned. That is what Tribunal is for. As for your specific example, eventually, people that troll pre-game will be reported in games that they troll. Heck! All five of them might report each other, and if they do it enough times, Tribunal will sort it out (at least that's what it's intentions are).

Pog Master 2000

09-19-2012

So, assuming this is resistant to abuse, how about we have a champion that is strong based on your honor?!