Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkwahn

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We've taken extra care and implemented extra features into the system to prevent abuse. For example, it'll be quite hard to get away with trading Honor and there's no incentives for premade friends to constantly queue up together and Honor each other.
Well damn; I only really play with premades, everyone else is too ******y.(maybe this will help with that) No honor for me.

Kronic Logic

09-19-2012

Quote:
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.

Today, we’d like to introduce Honor, our positive feedback initiative. We’re well versed in research done on concepts in psychology such as positive reinforcement and how it can improve behaviors, and we’ve also found that some of the most meaningful, memorable moments in League come from the positive interactions players have with each other. Everyone’s had one of these days: You are struggling in a game and find yourself in a situation where a teammate could have easily trolled or flamed you, but instead goes out of his way to be a helpful, compassionate team-player. He says, “Hey, don’t worry about the first blood.” You may not friend this player or ever play with him again, but this small, kind gesture made a difference and is something you remembered.

Through Honor you’ll be able to give something lasting back to those players who went out of their way to make your game experience better. Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!

I'm going to boldly say that this is without a doubt, the best thing you have introduced for this community to grow. Big things will come from this. The simple gesture of saying 'good job' is too stronk!

Imperfectable

09-19-2012

Quote:
One of our goals in Team Player Behavior is to ensure that it's easier to be good than it is to be toxic.
Your teammates aren't going to give you Honor if you refuse to use the proper name, Lyte. You know it's Team PB&J.

WukongBR

09-19-2012

Quote:
At a pretty high level, we know from psychology that positive reinforcement is a good way to improve human behavior. Some trolls are no doubt going to continue to be trolls and be picked up by the Tribunal; however, some players who are 'skirting' the line between good and bad may decide to lean good because Honor exists. One of our goals in Team Player Behavior is to ensure that it's easier to be good than it is to be toxic.

For the good players, this is a way for us to celebrate them and reinforce that they are exactly the type of players we want in League of Legends.
How exactly are we reinforcing this? With an "epeen system"? Or in more literal terms, giving people honor to stack up and look at on a pedestal? Or are there real rewards to this. I'm not trying to come off looking for free stuff, but there are tons of people in this game who won't glance twice in the direction of your positive reinforcement if there is nothing in it for them.

BuilderBob93

09-19-2012

While this is super awesome, as I don't play League much anymore I'm more interested in seeing data about how much better the playerbase gets. I'm hopeful

Mein

09-19-2012

Quote:
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.

Today, we’d like to introduce Honor, our positive feedback initiative. We’re well versed in research done on concepts in psychology such as positive reinforcement and how it can improve behaviors, and we’ve also found that some of the most meaningful, memorable moments in League come from the positive interactions players have with each other. Everyone’s had one of these days: You are struggling in a game and find yourself in a situation where a teammate could have easily trolled or flamed you, but instead goes out of his way to be a helpful, compassionate team-player. He says, “Hey, don’t worry about the first blood.” You may not friend this player or ever play with him again, but this small, kind gesture made a difference and is something you remembered.

Through Honor you’ll be able to give something lasting back to those players who went out of their way to make your game experience better. Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!
will there be some sort of reward system for players who get a lot of honor?

TheEnygma

09-19-2012

unleashing your inner Gandhi

Noxe Out

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-19-2012

What does Honor actually give players though? I mean, is there a point to it? Not that I'm looking for some reward or anything, just in general, what's this going to do? Somehow show other players you're ranked high in honor in pre-game lobby or what?

iDerp Solo

09-19-2012

Quote:
At a pretty high level, we know from psychology that positive reinforcement is a good way to improve human behavior. Some trolls are no doubt going to continue to be trolls and be picked up by the Tribunal; however, some players who are 'skirting' the line between good and bad may decide to lean good because Honor exists. One of our goals in Team Player Behavior is to ensure that it's easier to be good than it is to be toxic.

For the good players, this is a way for us to celebrate them and reinforce that they are exactly the type of players we want in League of Legends.
The problem, as with all problems in this game, is that none of these systems have any impact in games which are dodged because of pre-game trolling.
Almost every community related issue starts before the game starts - and often times, nobody actually thinks they are trolling - or they intentionally claim to troll just to get someone else to dodge in response to someone else' trolling first.

Player #4 "Calls" top. Player #1 or #2 "Picks" a top champ and says "first pick picks first". Player #4 says "Dual top" and takes sona with Revive and Smite or something. Player #5 says well screw this I'm trolling too and takes smite revive Ashe and is going to jungle. Someone either dodges or everyone resigns themselves to playing a lost game just to report whomever they saw as being the troll that started it. Usually #4 and #5 would, at the very last second, change summoner spells to appear legit.

I'm sure almost everyone has seen that play out dozens, or even hundreds, of times - I know I did before finally giving up until Riot actually does something about this.
No, your "positive reinforcement" isn't going to do squat against the "MIDORIFEED" mindset that takes place before the game starts.

Ametsume

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

This is really cool imo