Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blue Creme Soda

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraniumBasherX6 View Post
My second idea is perhaps a bad one, but I will let the rest of you be the judges of that. In the post-game lobby, there should be a button to specifically "Leave Game Lobby." This button is deactivated until you enter some character into the chat box and hit enter. Sure, many people might simply type a random letter, but perhaps many others will type "gg," "wp," or some other cordiality. Regardless of the sincerity (or lack thereof) of their chat message, such messages could have very real effects on the people who read them. Sort of a sucker punch for optimism. You might argue that people could just as easily enter a negative message, but the Honor and Reporting Systems would discourage that sort of poor sportsmanship.
I think this is awful. Forcing people to interact in some way in hopes that they will be good? It's like jumping in front of the door as someone goes to leave a store or party and harassing them about how they can't go before they do this or that or whatever.

I have nothing to say to people who want to start anything and most people don't say anything to begin with and that's all fine. Forcing it would just be inane. Not to mention that things like 'gg' are pretty well implied and not necessary to say or attempt to force people to say something along those lines. It's as if somehow saying nothing is seen asa bad thing when it really shouldn't be viewed that way... if I feel compelled to say something I will, but forcing it is just... well it's like forcing people to fake a smile just because you find it more pleasant for some reason over just a straight face.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-28-2012
88 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Creme Soda View Post
I think this is awful. Forcing people to interact in some way in hopes that they will be good? It's like jumping in front of the door as someone goes to leave a store or party and harassing them about how they can't go before they do this or that or whatever.

I have nothing to say to people who want to start anything and most people don't say anything to begin with and that's all fine. Forcing it would just be inane. Not to mention that things like 'gg' are pretty well implied and not necessary to say or attempt to force people to say something along those lines. It's as if somehow saying nothing is seen asa bad thing when it really shouldn't be viewed that way... if I feel compelled to say something I will, but forcing it is just... well it's like forcing people to fake a smile just because you find it more pleasant for some reason over just a straight face.
It's an interesting idea, but a bit too "in your face." Research does suggest that if you force players to 'go through positive motions,' it does improve behaviors though. It's similar to research where if you ask someone to do a task, you will get better commitment rates and actual execution of the task if the person verbally commits to it and says something like, "Sure, I'll run to the store and pickup more milk."

Djinnandjuice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's an interesting idea, but a bit too "in your face." Research does suggest that if you force players to 'go through positive motions,' it does improve behaviors though. It's similar to research where if you ask someone to do a task, you will get better commitment rates and actual execution of the task if the person verbally commits to it and says something like, "Sure, I'll run to the store and pickup more milk."
Just wanted to say this reminded me of my psych lab from long ago.
Had to run experiments demonstrating Low-Ball, "foot in the door", and "door in the face" techniques.

Now you just need to ask them to return the rented movies, and pick you up pack of smokes from the convenience store.... since they will be out and about getting milk anyways.

Eleshakai

09-28-2012

I have a friend I play with in another game who is probably the single most positive gamer I've ever met. He's a great sport, mannered, acknowledges both friends and enemies, etc. If I were to convince him to play LoL, chances are I would WANT to honor him every game. But since I'd be honoring a premade every game, the system would punish me for that.

Morrocker

09-28-2012

Hey Lyte,

First of all I wanna congrat you guys for such a system. It really felt wrong that you could report people for being jerks, but not encourage or reward people that made you game pleasant. I'm the type of guy that won't say much in game, but enjoys jokes and try to stop fights from time to time. I think this system is going in a really good direction and looking forward to it.

Also, I think people complaining about pre-made having less honor are off the tracks. To me this system is designed so that people will behave better, particularily when interacting with strangers. In other words, to make the game even more fun.
It's not about getting tons of honor so you can buy stuff with it, though I think it should be possible so that great guys get some "physical" reward (besides feeling good for being a good guy).

Think about it this way, you wont have bad times when playing with friends (if you do you must be willing to do anything to win a.k.a. sacrificing fun over winning). However, when dealing with strangers you have to deal frecuently with anoying people. Pre made teams dont suffer from that, while soloers have to deal with the rest.
Is there merit in being nice to a friend?? yes.
Isn't it even better if you're friendly to strangers? yes.
Who is this system benefiting? Mostly people that play with random people
Is it about giving rewards? No
Should they give out rewards? Yes (pushes people to being nice, even if they are "faking" it the rest are having a better time because of it. Also, that guy might end up liking being nice inteas of a jerk [or neutral])

As a separate note:
Maybe you could make it so that every X amount of honor you receive, you get Y amount of honor to give. Just a though.

That's it

keep up the good work!!

Oasiris

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Patrol View Post
Lyte,

Will there ever be any chance of a feature of the honor system to group like minded/honored summoners together when forming a game. Where honorable people will eventually only play with other honorable people, and trolls will just be trolling each other in a troll circle jerk.
This actually brought up a flaw in the system in my mind.... new players or people who ahve not logged on since a while after the update will have 0 honor, and will therefore only be stuck with trollers.... hmm.

Mestify

Recruiter

09-29-2012

I like this idea, I usually try to be nice to everyone, although they're sometimes unappreciative back, also i seriously find it annoying when people attempt to rage, do negative comments, act racist, or troll deathly around in chat pissing some people off intentionally, I'd love to see this system

Jordanoceros

09-30-2012

Lyte you've really been dodging this one pretty well. for people who play exclusively on LoL with premade friends the only possible way of obtaining honor in a match is from opponents correct? seems really biased towards the solo queue.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-30-2012
89 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanoceros View Post
Lyte you've really been dodging this one pretty well. for people who play exclusively on LoL with premade friends the only possible way of obtaining honor in a match is from opponents correct? seems really biased towards the solo queue.
I've answered this a few times :P If you queue with a friend and he is truly exceptional, then go ahead and Honor them. However, it's super easy for us to detect which of your friends are actually Honorable and which are 'just OK' but you are Honoring them anyways.

KevinDelMarr

09-30-2012

Could someone please consolidate this info? There are a lot of Red posts, and i'm pretty sure the Tribunal team is as busy as can be. Something Riot could sticky, as an all encompassing Honor System database. Would be an interesting project.