Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elanorien

09-27-2012

Good morning, Prof. Dr. Lyte!

Phew, 87 Red posts later...*pant pant*....need a minute to catch my breath...

Ok, first of all, I think this is such an OUTSTANDING idea, kudos to all who are/were/will be a part of it. Now for a couple of thoughts and questions... Sorry if any of these were addressed, I really only thoroughly read the Red posts (and the quotes they were replying to) while skimming here and there through all the Regular Joe's like myself, 104 pages is a lot :3.

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway...in time do you think you'll ever consider including a player's Honor stats in Tribunal cases? The player in question's and/or the reporter(s)?

As incentive to correctly use the Honor system, is there perhaps a chance of giving those who reward regularly without spamming and abusing extra Honor? (In their received honor, not their allocation pool, though I suppose that's not bad either). Or perhaps it could work like reporting...the reports of players who abuse the function carry less weight in Tribunal cases...the "brofist" bump () of players who actively and accurately dole out Honor carry MORE weight (reward more Honor to the players they acknowledge), and/or inversely those who abuse it will carry less weight (reward less Honor to those they acknowledge).

Finally, can you give us any idea of what constitutes abuse? What kind of threshold is set that will flag someone? For example, I'd say on average I play a few games every day, 7 days a week. I feel the people I play with on a regular basis are pretty outstanding in various ways. If I were to Honor them once a week, is that excessive? Or could it be done more often than that? I realize there's probably a ratio involved pertaining to amount of Honor votes to games played, so lets just say 4-5 games a day, 6-7 days a week, most of which played with an individual you vote for once a week or so. Sorry, I know those numbers are fairly vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
22% and 1%.
P.S. I'm really curious what this is in response to, because I really have no idea. XD

Edit: As a few others have said, is there any chance in the future of Honor/Reports affecting matchmaking? High Honor summoners being matched with each other, and trolls with each other? XD Prob not, as I can see how that would be detrimental to reforming those who've been reported, but just a thought.

FrostFire504

09-27-2012

All I want to say is I hope this will influence people to play a bit more positively overall and therefore, creating a better game altogether. Whether someone plays regular or ranked, there is always at least one person that wants to "troll" or just be a negative nancy.

theshim

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
22% and 1%.
Oh god.

It's the new IronStylus code.

DavidCameron

09-27-2012

Should make it so that an unique individual may only contribute 1 "vote" to go towards any given individual's honor total. It works since we play mostly with and against strangers, so.

Desecrated Soul

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshim View Post
Oh god.

It's the new IronStylus code.
What on earth does this mean?! LOL

Plus I think the honor system is going to be a failure; there are not enough people worthy of honor. I play three games a day and without fail at least one has a troll or rager, and these are long time lvl 30s.

Elanorien

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOvermind View Post
Plus I think the honor system is going to be a failure; there are not enough people worthy of honor. I play three games a day and without fail at least one has a troll or rager, and these are long time lvl 30s.
You're approaching it with the wrong mentality. Don't get me wrong...there are some people who won't change, that you can't reach, and it's endlessly infuriating to suffer at their hands. But I just try to accept that these encounters are going to happen, shake it off, and play another game. But before that, try to talk to them sensibly, logically, and positively. Sometimes all it takes is a firm, friendly voice of leadership to help put an end to arguments and encourage your team to keep trying and to work together. I've seen it and done it first hand, it DOES work. And I think the Honor system will further encourage this mentality.

CraniumBasherX6

09-27-2012

Dear Team Player Behavior,

While I cannot say beyond a doubt that the new Honor system will be a success, allow me to preemptively express my gratitude for the effort. To see such a huge corporation still making investments like this for the sake of its communities makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you!

I have a couple ideas on the topic of Honor. Firstly, a response to everyone who wants RP or skins or other similar rewards for being honorable: honor-seeking is not the same as being honorable. When you make ingenuine remarks or actions for the sake of appearing honorable to earn something like RP, you are compromising the very idea of honor. However, I will admit that "giving the appearance of being honorable" is better than being outright negative, and perhaps this can be accounted for in the next paragraph.

Now, if you subscribe to psychological hedonism (which I do), you must admit that even the most honorable behavior is driven by some incentive. One explanation of this phenomenon would be selfish altruism: I act honorably because it is the type of behavior that improves the state of the world, and by improving the world I live in I improve my own prospects. Perhaps Riot can properly incentivize honorable behavior by allowing Honor points to influence match-making. By honoring some player, increase the chances that I will play with (or against) that player again in the future. This way, even players who think Honor points are a sham might go out of their way both to earn Honor and to award it if for no other reason than to improve their gaming experience by increasing the odds that they are exposed to other players that they get along with.

My second idea is perhaps a bad one, but I will let the rest of you be the judges of that. In the post-game lobby, there should be a button to specifically "Leave Game Lobby." This button is deactivated until you enter some character into the chat box and hit enter. Sure, many people might simply type a random letter, but perhaps many others will type "gg," "wp," or some other cordiality. Regardless of the sincerity (or lack thereof) of their chat message, such messages could have very real effects on the people who read them. Sort of a sucker punch for optimism. You might argue that people could just as easily enter a negative message, but the Honor and Reporting Systems would discourage that sort of poor sportsmanship.

Hmm, now that I have actually typed this idea out, it sounds like we are turning LoL into a psychology experiment. And I'm not even a psychologist! :P

Best regards,
Cran

Xedrox

09-27-2012

Can someone define what PBE stands for? sorry about my ignorance.

Prof Butthead

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedrox View Post
Can someone define what PBE stands for? sorry about my ignorance.
Public Beta Environment
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...splay.php?f=44

Noboty

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanorien View Post
You're approaching it with the wrong mentality. Don't get me wrong...there are some people who won't change, that you can't reach, and it's endlessly infuriating to suffer at their hands. But I just try to accept that these encounters are going to happen, shake it off, and play another game. But before that, try to talk to them sensibly, logically, and positively. Sometimes all it takes is a firm, friendly voice of leadership to help put an end to arguments and encourage your team to keep trying and to work together. I've seen it and done it first hand, it DOES work. And I think the Honor system will further encourage this mentality.
Every time I try it (the same way), it just makes things worse, so I'm inclined to disagree.