Item Lore Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EdgarAlanPWN88

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

It would be awesome if Babagahnoosh would answer this, but Forum user answers are generally very good too.

Me and my housemate are both interested in writing some Item Lore fan fiction, but I wanted to try to get at least some background before starting in. Background dealing with the League.

So, my first question is how the items in the world are made in the League. I am assuming someone discovers a new item, (Wriggle's Lantern), or the League alchemists and artificers discover new ways to combine items, (assuming Manamune was one of these). The League artificers then carefully discover how to reproduce the creation of this item, allowing it to be used in League matches. Thus multiple people can have the same item in one match. Sound reasonable? Same would work with the potions and wards, but then there is a special part of the League dealing with them, (Mundo's stories and non-League approved liquid enhancements).

Then, my other question is about the items on the LoLwiki, (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki), that have back stories. I like some of them, but I had no idea where they came from. Tear of the Goddess has a short blurb, (Few are fortunate enough to come across the tears of the very goddess who created our world... but those who are lucky enough to acquire a Tear of the Goddess may take pleasure in a significant boost of mana points and mana points regeneration.), but where did it come from? Does Riot have any item lore, other than the little bit about Wriggle's Lantern? Or is this all free open space to create new fan lore?

I like this new forum, and am hoping to put out some new fan lore. I am very glad that Babagahnoosh is so active on this forum, it really gives the feeling that Riot cares about what happens on this forum. Having the regular, full and constructive feedback on many posts is just great!

Lord GiantR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

I think the items had lore in early beta.

Enrayged

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord GiantR View Post
I think the items had lore in early beta.
Yup - a few items that had lore were:
Tear of the Goddess
Warmog's Living Armor
I want to say the B.F. Sword and the Black Cleaver had lore, as well.

EdgarAlanPWN88

09-22-2010

I found this.

http://www.lolfs.com/items/legendary.html

Are they beta lore? Or just some stuff from a website that has been propagated around?

So, should we try to keep that lore in our fan fic lore, or can I just ignore it?

Zzilb

09-22-2010

I recall two threads on this subject. Lessee.. digdigdig..

Here we are. Perhaps they can help!
Most pertinent, there was some speculation about weaponry in "You know what I never got?"
In a sister thread, we also thought about "The man that runs the item shop."

So. When you said some items are discovered as real things which we then replicate for the purposes of the league, you were dead on and completely supported by the information we have.

I wonder about Manamune, as well. As I mentioned in those threads, we know for certain that Wriggle's was donated, but it also has a recipe of things that already existed.
Are these things just a certification process, or are they more alchemical? Are the enchantments in these items harvested and recombined into their advanced forms?

Is the Wriggle's available on the fields of justice a completely accurate simulacrum that has every property of the original, OR, did we approximate its reconstruction to take advantage of the discovery while still using old items? That is to say.. Discovering it was important, because reverse engineering it showed us how it could be done, but now that weve worked out the technique we can do it with our own materials (madreds, ect).

Until we have more information, I would rather believe its enchantment alchemy, and that the combination process is the shopkeeper's job. This sort of establishes a whole 'nother branch of magic for us to think about..
All the complexities of getting the enchantments harmonious, nuances in construction and material.. "You cant thread a phantasmal edge into that mess, fool, the stabilizing gem is working hard enough as is with the sloppy enchanting you did on this hardening charm and the curve of the blade will stretch it too thin regardless."

EdgarAlanPWN88

09-22-2010

Zzilb, I did laugh when I clicked on the links, and found your posts. Just after the:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzilb View Post
I recall two threads on this subject. Lessee.. digdigdig..

Here we are. Perhaps they can help!
I am guilty of doing the same thing, bringing in the posts that I have already commented on into the conversation. Just made me smile.

I have a somewhat different take on what you posted in the other threads. I think that the characters are actually carrying the items, but not necessarily using them all at once. Granted, I am coming from a caster angle, since the item lore that is currently floating around in my head has to do with Archangel's, Tear and Manamune, or a tank angle, with Guardian Angel, FoN, Thornmail etc.

What I think about the "You know what I never got?" thread, is this. The champions buy the items. Well, they have to learn how to use them to their fullest extent, (aka, get the stats). Well, they are so amazingly heroic that they learn this as they buy the items. (Not totally satisfied with that answer, but it is a decent page holder for now). So, Trynd buys a Bloodthirster. He is carrying it while he fights, and as he does so, the malicious magic of the sword steals the life force of the souls he kills, thirsting more and more for blood, and able to cut harder and deeper than ever. AKA, the stats go up. Well, Trynd had to learn how to use the sword, and when he did so, he was able to convert that knowledge to apply to his own sword, allowing him to cut harder and harder each time, and his own bloodthirsty nature increases. Then he picks up a Phantom Dancer, where through training with the swords he learns to strike more accurately, avoid other's strikes more, which helps him move faster, and well, duh, two swords makes him attack faster.

Not totally satisfied with those answers, but it is a rough picture of what my thoughts are. I will start writing some of my fan fiction on items. Not huge stories, (that will be my housemate), but rather a short background that includes the items that goes into building the item, as well as the stats.

Zzilb

09-23-2010

Hay its not my fault. The majority of things I could link would have me in them, as in first week of the Lore forum I posted to practically every thread I thought I could be helpful in. Its also not my fault my posts were typically the largest, and killed a number of them. ;/

I didnt link those just to show you what I had already said. Those two threads had a total of about 350 views, after all. Amidst all those views, that was everything anyone saw fit to say on the matter.

Now then.
Thats another unique take on the matter. Im not sure it fits perfectly (not that anything does), but its a good way to excuse owning multiple weapons. The issue I see is in certain magical properties. Again we turn to Wriggle's as the ultimate example; Its technically a weapon with the same mystic qualities of as the bloodrazor but also it creates wards. While I expect you can explain away the occasional 500dmg as gaining greater insight into minion vulnerabilities, the ward element requires keeping the lantern to make sense, doesnt it? Or are we going to learn magical ward creation from it? What about a hextech gunblade and its shot?

If those things arent learned like the stats, the champ would be carrying the weapons around regardless, right?

Im really looking forward to the next report of Mundo's fight to see if anything else is said on the matter, and also looking forward to what you two produce.