Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Lol's lore: A quest for answers

1
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikePeck

Senior Member

09-19-2012

I have always been a major fan of this games lore. The way Riot has managed to create characters of broad spectrum but with great depth I always found to be amazing and inspirational (I am a creative writing graduate). When the announced the end of Champion judgments as well as the end of the JoJ, I had faith that whatever they had planned as a replacement would be equally entertaining.

However, the lore rewrite campaign that seems to be underway has forced my hand. What exactly is going on, lore department? I understand that you want to try and flesh out and fix lore that you felt previously was lacking, but the Warwick/Soraka rewrite is going to have major repercussions in the lore (karma’s judgment goes straight out the door for one). While I can approve of such rewritings for the purpose of crafting a better world (Tolkien rewrote a bit of the Hobbit after realizing that his ideas for LotR required some changes to the original) such changes have to be justifiable (Tolkien’s creating of a much deeper world also included an in-universe explanation that the original form was due to Bilbo lying in his first copy).

So just what are you guys doing? What is the grand master plan that requires that you go and drop such a huge bomb on the lore? Give us some reason to still have faith. I'm not asking for a complete plan give us some hint that you are actually going somewhere with the lore, as it seems that at the moment you are just going round in ever smaller and smaller circles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulfestopheles

Senior Member

09-19-2012

Quote:
MikePeck:
I have always been a major fan of this games lore. The way Riot has managed to create characters of broad spectrum but with great depth I always found to be amazing and inspirational.



Stopped there, can't read anymore, laughing too hard...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikePeck

Senior Member

09-19-2012

Quote:
Wulfestopheles:
Stopped there, can't read anymore, laughing too hard...


Read Leona's judgement. There's a lot going on there. Get into the whole Swain/J4 judgements and JoJ reprisals. There's depth. You just have to open the can to get to it. Since the recent champs don't have judgements to fill them out, you end up with two dimensional characters.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

09-19-2012

Quote:
MikePeck:
Read Leona's judgement. There's a lot going on there. Get into the whole Swain/J4 judgements and JoJ reprisals. There's depth.


This is also before we even touch on the Black Rose, led by LeBlanc, their plans to infiltrate the Noxian High Command through Swain by means of eliminating General DuConteu and manipulating his daughter Kat, and their long term plans to reignite the war between Noxus and Demacia for the Fifth Rune War.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TVPMike

Senior Member

09-19-2012

I know what you mean. As a writer, I always loved League lore (I was so disappointed with the Jayce lore and how it portrayed Viktor). Diana's lore was so amazing, and has so much potential that I have started a short story on it. I hope they do not change things more than they need to and keep the whole the same - just changing the small inconsistencies, etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CodeChestnut

Senior Member

09-19-2012

I wish we learned more about Lokfar or places that aren't in Valoran.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulfestopheles

Senior Member

09-19-2012

Quote:
MikePeck:
Read Leona's judgement. There's a lot going on there. Get into the whole Swain/J4 judgements and JoJ reprisals. There's depth. You just have to open the can to get to it. Since the recent champs don't have judgements to fill them out, you end up with two dimensional characters.


Tell me about Zyra, Rengar, and Syndra, then.

I won't even mention Jayce.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bérnkastel

Senior Member

09-19-2012

Quote:
PhailRaptor:
This is also before we even touch on the Black Rose, led by LeBlanc, their plans to infiltrate the Noxian High Command through Swain by means of eliminating General DuConteu and manipulating his daughter Kat, and their long term plans to reignite the war between Noxus and Demacia for the Fifth Rune War.

i have a theory that involves swain + lb turning general deconteu into mordekaiser (hence his appearance of a general, no one seeing wha the looks like under the armor, and his sudden existence in noxus around teh place duconteu went missing).
but i think im just highly paranoid...

anyways though i disliked lore ever since they killed viktor. imo the only lore that needs retconning is jayce's, because it directly screws with viktor.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TVPMike

Senior Member

09-19-2012

Quote:
bérnkastel:
i have a theory that involves swain + lb turning general deconteu into mordekaiser (hence his appearance of a general, no one seeing wha the looks like under the armor, and his sudden existence in noxus around teh place duconteu went missing).
but i think im just highly paranoid...

anyways though i disliked lore ever since they killed viktor. imo the only lore that needs retconning is jayce's, because it directly screws with viktor.


Lawl, that would be epic. Mordekaiser being Katarina's father? Ahmaigawd I could see the raging.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

09-19-2012

Quote:
bérnkastel:
anyways though i disliked lore ever since they killed viktor. imo the only lore that needs reconnecting is jayce's, because it directly screws with viktor.


I wouldn't say they killed Viktor. Comparing Jayce and Viktor's lore is more of looking at the 2 different sides to the story.

Riot staff members have also said that there is more to the story there than they could reasonably fit into their bios. For example, when the achievement of Blitz was stolen from Viktor, he began a slow descent into madness, which was not articulated well in his bio. Meanwhile, they didn't get everything they wanted into who Jayce is as a person. He's blatantly over confident and incapable of seeing any opinion but his own -- instead, to make it ft into the limiting word count, it came out more like he was just the hero in a Sunday morning cartoon.

In a way it's a lot like the Lunari vs Solari thing that exists between Leona and Diana. We know there's a lot more to the story between them than Riot could ever hope to cram into Diana's bio, but there have been a lot of hint drops from a certain parrot-avatar'd Red that we know there's more there. But Riot's delivery system (which IronStylus has also let slip is under construction) has yet to be completed.

Riot just needs to get it done so we can be just as excited as they are.


1