[Discussion] Sona Item Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A MALLARD DUCK

09-22-2010

I've been doing a little bit of thinking on item builds for my new favorite champ, Sona, and I've reached three that I rather like. I was hoping we could get a discussion going about the different possible ways to build her. I'm looking for feedback for sure, don't be afraid to diss my build if you think something could go before something else. Everyone's opinion is valid.

SUPPORT (no Catalyst)

Meki + pots
Chalice + boots1 (850g)
Boots3 (625g) or Merc Treads (850g)
Tear (980g)
AA Staff (1860g)
Aegis (1925g)
Codex (1245g)
Deathfire Grasp (1365g)

SUPPORT (Catalyst Rush)

Mana Gem + pots
Catalyst + boots1 (1275g)
Locket (925g)
Tear (980g)
AA Staff (1860g)
Aegis (1925g)
Codex (1245g)
Deathfire Grasp (1365g)

DAMAGE

Meki + pots
Codex + boots1 (1205g)
Tear (980g)
Nashor’s (1220g)
AA Staff (1860g)
Guinsoo (2235g)
Aegis (1925g)

OTHER OPTIONS

Kindlegem/Shurelya's Reverie (Aegis better overall imo, get CDR elsewhere)
Banshee's Veil (considered for damage build)
Soul Shroud (locket better for price?)
Lich Bane (EXPENSIVE)
Mejai's

ErdoS The Wise

09-22-2010

Honestly i think Sona is mighty valid as an offtank like taric. Any smart team will focus Sona, or atleast try to isolate her from her allies. Build her tough

Merc Treads/Swiftness (Depending on enemies), Aegis, Soul Shroud, and then either will of ancients or Rylais or Shurelya or GA (Depending on how much they focus you, how well they escape at low health, etc).
Realize that her stances have no AP multipliers, only the actives do, so even without AP you are still insanely helpful, and staying alive is even better. If you have confidence maybe start with mejai's first then go on to the tankish/aura items

Krshna

09-22-2010

I'm so torn on what to get on Sona...

Innervating Locket to me doesn't seem like quite what I want. The health and mana is good, but I want to build a Tear into an Archangel's for the overall mana pool and for the AP, and with just that item, mana is no longer an issue.

I think there has to be two roads with her. Aura Sona, to go full support madness, something like:

Mana Manipulator into Locket
Boots 1
Soul Shroud
Boots 2
Aegis/Spirit Visage

Or

Tear into Archangels
Boots 1
Zhonya's

not sure...

Valhirien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

I think you are trying to rely too much on AA; getting locket, soul shroud and shurelya give you plenty of HP, mana, HP and mana regen and great CDR, not to mention that new philosopher stone is better than it used to be. With those 3 items you'll get either nice support for team, good HP amount and ability to spam buffs with high MP regen and CDR. I think you could use AA as a closing item for those or just get tear early and upgrade it to AA somewhat later. IMO Zhonya is a must here, but - depending on situation - it might come as one of last items to get. For pure support build i thought about :
Merc threads
Locket
Shurleya's
Soul Shroud
Zhonya
Lich Bane / AA

ErdoS The Wise

09-22-2010

Guys dont expect to do much healing with her. Her AP multiplier is .5, which is half the normal for healing (Taric has 1.1, Soraka has 1 and 1.3). Honestly i just think surviving the battle is the most important thing Sona can do, and use her ult as the mummy would use his, to initiate the team fight.
AP isnt as great on her as you may think

Valhirien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

That's exactly why i went with Locket/Shurleya's/Soul Shroud as core items

Chippendale

09-22-2010

I go Tear into Archangels first and then boots ( depending on the game what kind) From there mana manipulator and up. The next big thing is the new item. At this point i can stance dance without hurting my mana for a very long time. Most of the time the game doesn't last longer than this but if it does i just build ap items maybe GA if needed. I've never died more than 5 times in a game and have even turned a 3v5 into a win.

I do like to start a fight with my ult but it tends to work better if i can say let nunu start his and i cast mine to hold them there for the full hit.Her heal isn't anything special because of that ratio i mainly just spam it in stance dance for the Defense buff.

A MALLARD DUCK

09-22-2010

I'm not sure how I feel about both the stone/locket and the kindlegem/reverie. Hp regen never seems to be effective in tue short term (and if it did end up helping, it would be through pure luck the enemy didn't push out like 2-3 more dps). Perhaps building an early catalyst, then boots, then banshee's? Could be good if youre the target of choice. I like AA on her almost too much though, it seems like a perfect fit for her in my opinion.

Stratosphere

09-22-2010

With Sona I go

1) Mana Manip
2) Boots of Speed
3) Soul Shroud
4) Boots of Swiftness
5) Mejai
6) Spirit Visage
7) Zhonyas or Aegis
8) Zhonyas, Aegis, or GA

My masteries are a typical 9-0-21 and my runes are mpen reds, dodge yellows, mp5 blues, and movespeed quints.

My reasoning behind this build is that Sona has a very strong lane presence early game, but is super dependent on casting her spells. Therefore starting mana manip allows me to outzone my opponents while keeping my hp high. Also in comparing SS to Firecrest, SS is basically better in every regard. HP/5 is a pretty worthless stat outside of laning and is especially useless on Sona because she has a heal. Additionally SFC costs ~300 more gold than SS but you lose 190 hp and the CDR aura while only gaining the activation. IMO Spirit Visage is an excellent item on Sona because it puts you close to max CDR, gives just a bit of magic resist, and increases the healing effects on yourself which you will be spamming late game and also regeneration thus improving your mp/5 which you will need. I do not believe Mercury are as effective on Sona because she is heavily reliant on positioning and if you put yourself in a position to get cc'd you are likely to die regardless.

Her AP Ratios are pretty bad (.6 for Q, .5 for W) but by getting Mejais you will likely get 20 stacks from pure assists. I do not believe going full AP to be a good idea on her because of her poor ratios in addition to the way Valor works. It is again highly reliant on proper positioning, so if you are focused more on positioning yourself to take advantage of Valor, you are likely to get killed or cc'd. Also while her auto attack speed is nice and base damage is reasonable, I feel that her range is just short enough so that you are in danger if you use items like sheen and lichbane.

reaver99

09-22-2010

^ exactly, locket and reverie on Sona are ****, soul shroud/spirit visage is much better. I'm hoping people will stop building those items on her after a few days. It pains me to see Sonas going around regenerating like Mundo but not doing anything useful.