Do YOU prefer Dominion to games on SR? Why?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2012

Just a simple question. Do you prefer Dominion? If so, why?

I ask because of something my friend said to me today:

"I think I'm disenfranchised with rift for a bit
at least in dominion, if you're getting fisted or a random DEEMS that you're getting fisted, it's over in 15 minutes"

So, I thought I'd ask why the regulars in the Dominion forum play it and see what they think. I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's not for the reason I quoted :P

Ohforfsake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2012

It's more action packed. You're not sitting there for 20 minutes farming minions, and half the games are over before it even begins. Also I really hate the current meta, even in normal games. People in sr are so stuck in it. In dom the only thing that really matters is that you're not all 5 ap/ad.

Redeemed In Fire

09-13-2012

Both modes still have the fatal flaw (for a solo/duo queuer) that your outcome is based far more on who's having a good/bad day than your own skill. However, Dominion has an overall more even fight balance (yes bruisers are a cut above the rest right now but at my ELO at least I can get away with a whole bunch of other mages n stuff). It also ends in ~10 minutes if it's a stomp, which is at least better than the 5 minutes of game and 15 minutes of dying over and over that is an SR complete loss.

Hamm3rhand

09-13-2012

I prefer Dominion to Classic for a variety of reasons, but the most prevalent one being that it mostly consists of the teamfight phase as opposed to the laning phase. All of the coordination that you get with high level SR play comes very quickly to even mid level dominion players because it happens ALL the time. true, 5v5's are rare, but 4v4s are extremely common. It is also less snowbally. You get ganked in SR and your lane opponent gets 2 waves of gold up on you then thats another small item which if they play it right will pretty much allow them to spiral out of control and crush you. There are many reasons that I prefer dominion, but those two would probably be close to the top of my list. Overall I just find it more enjoyable to play.

Lhyanc

09-13-2012

I like having a clue how long a game will last.

If you win or lose, you can learn and put that information into the next game quickly instead of sometimes slowly sliding into a loss for another 30 minutes.

You can come back from a deficit to win. Less snowbally.

Fabs457

09-13-2012

I find people, including my friends, rage a lot less in dominion than they do in sr---so for me it makes the game more enjoyable to play

Yohnski

09-13-2012

I don't have to sit and farm minions in lanes. I don't have to be blamed for everything automatically as a jungler. I don't have to go 0 farm bare minimum items support. I don't have to wait 20 minutes to move into a teamfight phase. I don't have to wait 30 minutes for an obviously losing game to end.

Although I do tend to stray towards playing about 10 champions, I feel that I can play nearly anyone with good viability in dominion. I don't have to be worried about being hard countered and useless nearly as much. I don't have to try and fill a very specific role to satisfy the meta, just general roles. Hell, most of the time all I have to satisfy is AP or AD, tank or squishy. People don't !@#$% about "KSing" nearly as much. If someone disconnects it only takes about 11 minutes to lose the game, faster than even a surrender vote can come out.

It's much less snowbally, and while this does lead to sometimes frustrating rubber banding mechanics, overall I find much more joy in dominion's balance than I do in SR. A bad first 10 minutes won't end the game immediately, I always feel like there's a chance of winning.

Most of the time I go top so I don't have nearly the same feeling as being better than a specific lane opponent, but I find that to be nice. In SR if I think I'm better than the other teams counterpart I get more upset when I lose, for I feel as though I deserve the win. In dominion 4/5 of the people on each team are immediately thrown into teamfights, and if my team loses I generally feel that I did not do enough to help my team win. As it's a team game, the feeling of losing/winning as a team is very important to me, especially compared to the idea of feed/carry that seems to dominate SR. I actually feel better after dominion games, win or lose, than I do after nearly any SR game.

The only thing I really find dominion to be worse than SR at is small disconnects. If someone disconnects on SR and reconnects 2-3 minutes later they've just missed a few minion waves and can generally catch back up. If someone is gone for that long in Dominion it can actually just flat out lose a game for you sometimes, especially if it's towards the end, you can't really turtle in dom down a person. Other than that though Dominion wins hands down in everything else I feel.

AerosMacCousland

09-13-2012

Personaly whenever a get a GOOD game on SR I prefer it But being realistic the chance for that happening is abismaly low(may be better tho if I bothered to play with Premades)

Good Dominion Games tend to be much more common and the the Community overall tends to be much better the only times I found people *****ing like 9-yearsold were on the Bottom of No-Brain Elo(AKA Full of Glass Cannon Kassadins,Master Yis and 90% of teams are full-on Squishys) which I was restarting to play Dominion and during my games I found so many fun people to play with it was a loong time since I had that kind of fun

WaterD103

09-13-2012

More agressive, less about laning, more about tactics and less about killing NPC, you don't have to play 15 minutes of already defined games (be either winning or losing).

NamKim

09-13-2012

I like playing Dominion over Summoner's Rift. I play games to have fun, so I enjoy the fact that I can get into the action in 1:30 minutes rather than waiting until after the laning phase. The games are shorter and I know the all but the rarest situations does a game end after 30 minutes.

Now, I am not as anti-SR as some people here. I do not mind playing a few games of SR. I know that some people take League of Legends very seriously. I am not one of these people. I just like having fun. Dominion is my cup of tea, but I don't mind having a cup of coffee every once in awhile.