How do you counter Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Martyrofsand

09-18-2012

Because so far I am at a complete loss at how to deal with him in top lane. He can out poke any bruiser in ranged stance and it's E+Q combo, he can trade better in melee thanks to his scaling % health damage, slow and constantly magic damage. He gets MR/Armor shreds when switching stances as well as movement speed. I just really have no clue how the hell I'm suppose to deal with him. So far the only ones I've had anything resembling success has been someone like Swain once I hit 6 as I can out sustain him.

Anyone found anything that actually works against this guy?

Lord Puppy Fury

09-18-2012

From what I understand, no one's really sure how to counter him right now. I took Kayle against him once. While I couldn't kill him, I was able to zone him a bit and harass him out of lane. Disclaimer: results may vary based on individual skill.

SN Luketwo

09-19-2012

I beat a couple with AP eve top but then again I mained her pre rework so my eve is pretty godlike.

Epictues

09-19-2012

he has no counter. hes better at everything than all of the other champions.
he hits harder than every other champion in game
he has better range poke than every other champion in game
hes tankier and does better damage than every other champion in game
hes faster than every other champion in game
hes better at ganking than every other champion in game with his gap closers, stuns and snares
he has better support in his aoe movement buff than every other champion in game
he has better escapability than every other champion in game
he has more utility than every other champion in game, and over twice as many skills as the other champions
ect
ect ect

awesome character design and balance by Riot. SELL THOSE RPS!!!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Several champs have a decent chance against a Jayce top:

Yorick - Still strong. W/E ghoul slow/lifesteal combo wears Jayce down and he has no sustain built in. Meanwhile Yorick heals from Jayce's poke damage.

Teemo - Faster than Jayce, able to use his own autoattack to outpoke him with his high poison damage. If Jayce gapclose/knockback, Teemo can chase and get in quite a few autoattacks at the fleeing Jayce. Blind can negate Jayce Hypercharge if he focuses on that route, though that is tricky timing.

Cho Gath - He just has lots and lots of sustain. Maxing Scream is probably the best bet here with a pretty good chance of silencing jayce if he tries to gapclose/knockback leaving him potentially stuck in an undesirable exchange. Cho sustains like a mofo and can shrug off autoattack hits. Scream can hit Jayce every time he tries to snipe with autoattacks and deal decent damage. Thats probably better than trying to land Ruptures since it is very likely to hit, long silence to hoze his attacks.

Warwick? - Can likely stalemate the lane though simple lifesteal with passive and Q spam. Shorter range might not work so well vs Jayce though. Havent tried this one.

Malphite with Meki,2pots to chalice. Q spam is brutal against Jayce slowing him, speeding up malph at 600+ range so that Jayce can't really do much. Shield negates a good chunk of Jayce autoattack harass and attemps to Gapclose/Knockback.

Gangplank - GP's heal is stupidly strong if you rank it up. For 60 mana it heals like 350ish health! Thats crazy and enough to pretty much stalemate any lane. You could start by just shooting Jayce and running back to wear him down and see how that works. If he starts cloth+5pots then you might be best off just going the stalemate approach.

-----general comments--------

Most Jayce will max Q first which is their Qball(BIG damage increase) and their gapcloser (marginal dmg increase). Their Gapclose/Knockback combo isn't really all that strong and costs a good deal of mana. They will want to only use that defensively.
Some will max E first, but the nerf will likely fix this. Their Q/E gapclose/Knockback hurts quite a bit but will be cost-prohibitive soon.
You ideally want to figure out which Jayce you are up against and only worry about their main offensive route.

If a Jayce does use his gapclose/Knockback, it is a fantastic time to Charge him! Use dat gapcloser, especially if there was a delay between gapclose and knockback (and he autoattacked to proc your minions) and beat him down. He is LOCKED out of his ranged abilities (since he will Transform, immediately gapclose/Knockback) for 6 sec and all he has is that terribad aura.

Most Jayce give you a nice heads-up by dropping gate, then Qball. Use this time to dodge! At shorter ranges like this, the Qball only damages you if it hits either YOU or a nearby creep. If you dodge away from creep, it will sail past and blow up like 1700ish range later. As a Jayce Ill many times aim for a creep that you are next to since IT WONT DODGE and the AoE will hit you.

Note that Qballing Jayce tends to push the lane quite a bit. If you see Jayce using Qballs and hitting your creeps, tell your jungler that he is pushing so he can prepare a gank.

Soul Relay

09-19-2012

There are several ways you can counter jayce. He's an incredibly strong bruiser and is hard to lane against with many solo tops but there are ways you can deal with him. Basically he has great and essentially free harass in his ranged stance while having great durability, sustain, power, and disengages in melee stance. There are basically two types of champions I find work really well against jayce.

1) Sustain champions:
if you can simply not care about his harass you won't fall behind in farm and probably as a tank be more relevant to late game as jayce only brings good solo burst damage and one aoe. The champions that have shields, taunts, heals, and damage reductions work well against jayce. These include champions like malphite (passive), shen (q lifesteal, faint, and dash), swain (dat ult), garen (passive and w dps reduction), warwick (passive and q heals), yorick (famine ghoul ftw), nautilus (that shield), olaf (that spellvamp/lifesteal)

2) burst champions
if you can close the gap and get onto jayce and apply a slow or any cc actually while being a competent dueling champion you will come out on top. This revolves not so much about making the lane a farm fest as option # 1 but a series of calculated exchanges that aim to make him fear farming in melee form to recover his mana instead forcing him to play safe in ranged form. In the end you still probably won't kill him but you will assert your dominance and force him to use his mana and have that mana use be meaningful instead of replenish-able from minion farming in melee form. Champions that can do this are strong duelists with some form of cc. These include champions like jax (hyper-charge can't touch this), olaf (cc what cc?), teemo (faster, longer range, blinding fast), Udyr (really can anyone actually go toe to toe with me?), wu kong (sorry that's my decoy), lee sin (kick and dash).

Really the major thing about jayce is not letting him dictate your lane. Since he comes to lane with 2 skills this may be hard but once you reach level 2-3 or 6 with the champs listed you should have some means of dealing with him if you haven't fallen too far behind item wise. Most jayce players tend to push hard early because of this natural advantage. Be aware of this and take advantage of it by having a jungler come round once you get level 3 or 4 to make him reconsider his life choices. The worst thing to happen is letting him have free reign over the minion waves as he can recover mana per hit in melee form and thus he gets free harass with his ranged form. This in mind you need to assert your presence and make it known that you don't care about his harass or don't care about his dps.

I primarily play as jax when I see jayce on the other team and once I'm level 6 my friend who tends to play jungler knows its time to get an assist top.

The name of the game is farm till you can outmatch his early game presence. This is safer with champions with heals, life steal, spell vamp and shields but strong duelists such as jax can also work as they have strong gap closers, burst damage and survivability.