Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Kogmaw help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rEkcAh

09-22-2010

Well lately ive bought kog and had some good games and some bad. Wondering if anyone can help.

Runes:
9 Magic Pen
9 MP5
9 MP5
3 AS quins

Masteries-
9/0/21

Build:
Cloth armor and pots
Bezerk boots/Sorcerer boots (still cant tell which helps more)
Madreds bloodrazor
Sheen into Lich bane
Frozen mallet/Banshees veil/Rylais Scepter
Bloodthirster
Nashors tooth

JLP2005

09-22-2010

Quote:
IAMDeFy:
Well lately ive bought kog and had some good games and some bad. Wondering if anyone can help.

Runes:
9 Magic Pen
9 MP5
9 MP5
3 AS quins

Masteries-
9/0/21

Build:
Cloth armor and pots
Bezerk boots/Sorcerer boots (still cant tell which helps more)
Madreds bloodrazor
Sheen into Lich bane
Frozen mallet/Banshees veil/Rylais Scepter
Bloodthirster
Nashors tooth

You've got a good start there, for sure.

The masteries looks great. Just go deep enough into it for the extra attack speed and the 15% spell resistance pen. All the other talents should go into utility for mana regen.

Your runes, however, should focus more on increased attack speed. In fact, it would be a good idea to have EVERYTHING be increased attack speed. This helps his Madred's late game to chew through tanks.

You can grow many routes with the starting items.

I usually get boots and a few HP pots, but lately I've been experimenting with Dsword and Dshield for the HP regen to help me lane longer and it's worked out pretty well. Also, early game Kog shouldn't really have mana issues so that'll give you an extra incentive to drop your MP5 runes.

Take solomid and poke every so often with your Bio-arcane barrage to harass the enemy. Make sure that you maneuver in such a manner that you don't take oncoming damage from minions. Prioritize skills by R>W>Q>E and just play conservatively with your mana.

Afterwards, you wanna rush straight towards your MBR. Many people prefer Razors first, but I tend to get the Recurve bow first. Increased attack speed with your W means you can really put some early game heat on your laning opponent. Rush Madred's bloodrazor, and from then make your boots choice. Mercs is always a sound choice but if you CAN get away with it, Zerks is great on Kog'Maw too (HotshotGG used zerks in the WCG finals so don't say LOLZERKERS IS BAD).

From that point on you wanna either in:

Frozen Mallet, and if your team is beefy enough and can position you correctly get a Phage first, if you're getting focused get the Giant's Belt first. It'll help you survive.

Or in a Nashor's Tooth. The extra attack speed and cooldown reduction combined with a small bit of spell vamp and ability power pushes your W skill even further meanign you can keep it up more often. This is great especially when you mis-time it in a team-fight. Nashor's is genrally what I get directly after boots if my team is excelling.

Once your FM/NT is built, you wanna buy green/blue elixirs, maybe get a haunting guise if they're stacking Magic Res or build more towards attack speed. Harass champs from afar, check bushes, and spot enemies with your R, and combined with your Frozen Mallet and E skill, enemies will have a REALLY hard time getting away.

You have to rely on your team alot to get you into position, but once you're in the enemy will wish they stayed dead longer so the game can end. Kog'maw is a really strong champion in respect to the meaty-dps metagame going on right now so just use my advice and you'll really excel. Hope it helps.

rEkcAh

09-22-2010

The reason why i get MP5 runes is for the mana problem of kog, his ult and void ooze will eat it up and until nashors tooth is made your really relying on not spending all it or backing every few minutes to replenish it.

Also on boots its really preference i usually go zerk or sorcerers depending on what im going to build depending on the team im fighting.

JLP2005

09-22-2010

Quote:
IAMDeFy:
The reason why i get MP5 runes is for the mana problem of kog, his ult and void ooze will eat it up and until nashors tooth is made your really relying on not spending all it or backing every few minutes to replenish it.

Also on boots its really preference i usually go zerk or sorcerers depending on what im going to build depending on the team im fighting.

You should not be starved as Kog with mana. In fact, if you're using your E skill during laning phases (and not ganks), you shouldn't use it at all. It's damage is beyond crappy and it's just a waste of mana. The only real skills you should be using is your W to poke at enemies early on and your Q for the rare last-hit.

And DON'T depend on his ult for damage. You should harass them when they sit for too long in one place. Over-use of this skill WILL give you mana problems. It's a psychological thing-- use it once every minute or so (or more often if you KNOW you can get away with it).

This will make the enemy think you're just not gonna use it, and they'll be so worried about surviving that they'll eventually forget you have that range and capability. Always make sure you're not casting it 2 times in a row unless it's for a killing blow. Otherwise you're wasting your mana.

Ration out your abilities. If you're using an ability, make sure that it causes a significant amount of damage or don' t use it at all.

Mellow X

09-22-2010

lolwhat.

I use for runes... uh...

Armor pen marks/crit marks 7/2
CDR seals x3, MP5/level x6
CDR Glyph x 9
MS quit x 2
ASquint x1

And I run like 19/0/11 masteries. +10% crti damage helps.

My early kog is weak, up till level 6. And after I get items it becomes pro.
Weak->Decent->Pr0****

First I get a vampire scepter and head mid.
If you're agasint MF or Vlad play defensive till level 6 than get them down with your ulti/uber range.

After vamp scept I get Starks. Cause Starks is awesome.
After starks I get boots.
Then comes Madreds.
Then it's time for crit. So I get a Ghostblade.
But now I need more armor pen so I get the last whisper.
But now I need to hit harder so if the game made it this far I get a infin edge for crit+damage.

Skills
Ult>W>Q>E
I get..
q or w depending on who im against
q or w whicheve ri didn't get before
w
e
q
r
w
w
w
w
w
r
qq
q
q
e
e
r
e
e

I love this build. And it's extremely effective especially since the more health they stack the more damage you get. You will notice how unlike other ranged carries like Ashe or trist, I don't get any damage items until late late late game.
I rely on my W and Madred's HP% drain thing to get many kills and I usually aim for the hard hitting wannabe tank like Garen or whatever idiot support is stacking health.

Last game I played the entire enemy team just kept stacking health. Even the kat, lol. I started out 0-4 while the vlad I was against was like 6-1 and I ended with 20-9-12 and vlad with 9-9-10.

Try it out. It's fun.