Vespa, the Swarm of Hate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endertome

09-18-2012

Bees.
My god.

Appearance
I do not have a picture yet
A black-haired woman with blonde highlights. Her chest is small. She wears shorts with a combination of multiple-buckled thigh-high boots which only shows a narrow band of leg skin between them. Her most prominent clothing item is a long yellow coat with black horizontal bands across the back. She may or may not have goggles.
Vespa also has a ‘backpack’ of sorts. To clarify: A large hornet is always clinging to her back with its legs wrapped around her middle. Though it’s an entirely separate creature, her control over it is such that it acts as part of her body. She uses this to fly and uses the hornet’s stinger as if it were her own.

Fighter, Pusher, Ranged, Mage

Potential Lore
In the ancient jungle of Kumungu where champions like Rengar and Zyra originated, there is a small mountain that has two rumors to it. The first is that it is hollow, and the second is that the entire mountain vibrates with a low-pitched buzz that no one has ever been able to explain. A young explorer, motivated by this story, took it upon herself to uncover the mystery. She was never heard from again.

What had happened is that this explorer had blasted a hole in the side of the mountain using her magic and found that it was, indeed hollow. However, it was no mountain. From the opening poured forth a swarm of giant hornets. It was a nest that had been sealed by magic centuries ago. Rather than kill the girl, the hornets dragged her inside.

When she emerged again, she had been changed. Her mind replaced by that of the nest’s vile queen, Vespa. Leading her hornets, she sought to explore the world that had changed since the nest was sealed so long ago. Her attempts to establish a new nest on the outskirts of the Twisted Treeline drew the attention of the Institute of War when her swarm interrupted a match. She was convinced to fight for the League in return for a place to establish a nest, on the condition her hornets wouldn’t cause trouble for local residents.

And what of the young sorceress-explorer? Some say her mind wasn’t destroyed, but switched; that the girl is still inside the main hive, locked in the immobile body of the hive queen…

Personality notes
A somewhat sinister, self-important woman. She thrives on fear and perpetuates the innate fear of hornets that most beings have. Vespa believes strongly in the power of numbers and coordination. She's often spiteful and is especially quick to anger--Being a hornet, and all. There are hints that she's actually a decent person, just very strongly driven by the instincts of her species in a way that she can't help but be governed by.

Autoattack
For her autoattack, Vespa hurls spikes from the end of her stinger. This has an average attack range, speed, and damage.

Passive -- Allergy
Each attack Vespa makes on the enemy gives them a stack of Allergy. At 6 stacks, the enemy is stunned for 1 second, then slowed for 2 additional seconds.
NOTES:
--- This passive is weak on its own, but synergizes with her abilities and can quickly make her dangerous to ignore.

Q -- Swarm Striker
Active: Summons a Swarm Striker. These are warrior class hornets which use melee attacks. Every third attack is a sting rather than a bite, causing additional damage over time and a stack of Allergy. Strikers move faster than other Hornets, equivalent to a player with tier 2 boots.
Passive: AURA: A damage and movement speed buff to Vespa, her nearby allies, and her Hornets.
NOTES:
--- 1 at level 1, 2 at level 3, 3 at level 5.
--- Aura activates when a Striker is summoned, replacing the current aura. Aura persists for 1 second after switching to a different aura
--- Though they do physical damage, it scales from Vespa’s AP, and their health increases as Vespa’s does.

W -- Swarm Shifter
Active: Summons a Swarm Shifter. These hornets use ranged attacks similar to Vespa’s, firing spikes off their abdomen. Every third attack causes additional damage over time and applies a stack of Allergy to the victim.
Passive: AURA: A magic damage and resistance buff to Vespa, her nearby allies, and her Hornets.
NOTES:
--- 1 at level 1, 2 at level 3, 3 at level 5.
--- Aura activates when a Shifter is summoned, replacing the current aura. Aura persists for 1 second after switching to a different aura
--- Deal magic damage, which scales off Vespa’s AP. They get a smaller portion of Vespa’s health pool than Strikers.

E -- Dive Bomber
Vespa soars over the battlefield in a straight line until she encounters an enemy Champion. Swooping down, she stings them. This causes Magic damage, damage over time, and inflicts 2 stacks of Allergy immediately. There are different effects depending on if the victim is close to full Allergy stacks, is already stunned by Allergy, or is Slowed while recovering from Allergy.
NOTES:
--- Linear skillshot that can be used to punish an enemy with full Allergy stacks or as an escape move.
--- Passes over walls and ignores minion collision
--- IF NOT AT FULL ALLERGY: The attack works as above. Magic damage, damage over time, and 2 stacks of Allergy are applied to the victim.
--- IF DIVE BOMBER SETS OFF ALLERGY: The stun becomes 2 seconds and the slow lasts 4 seconds, doubling the effect of the Passive. The initial damage and damage over time also take place.
--- IF TARGET IS ALREADY STUNNED BY ALLERGY: The damage is doubled, with the initial damage spike converted to True damage and the damage over time drastically increased. No stacks of Allergy are applied.
--- IF TARGET IS SLOWED BY ALLERGY: The Slow is increased in duration, making escape more difficult. Damage is unchanged, though the damage over time component is increased. Two stacks of Allergy are applied.
--- This allows a Vespa player to plan around her passive’s effects to maximize her damage output, or use Dive Bomber as an escape move.

R -- (ult) Swarm Stalker
Active: Summons a Swarm Stalker. Swarm Stalkers are the hive’s hunters. The Stalker combines the abilities of the Striker and the Shifter. Every third attack the Stalker makes cleaves, applying a stack of Allergy to everything struck.
Passive: AURA: A rather sizable attack speed and ability power buff
NOTES:
--- Vespa can only have 1 of these at any time.
--- Aura activates when the Feeder is summoned, replacing the current aura. Aura persists for 1 second after switching to a different aura.
--- Duration lasts as long as the ability’s initial cooldown. Re-casting kills the current Feeder and replaces it.
--- As the aura activates when the skill is cast and (being an ult) has a very long cooldown, it should be noticeably better than the others.
--- Damage and attack speed are affected by Vespa’s AP. Recieves a good portion of Vespa’s health for itself. It’s kind of a tanky front-line bug.

Further notes
--- If hornets roam too far from Vespa, they will immediately turn around and try to return until ordered to do something else. They will even ignore normal attack agro rules in this situation. This is similar to how Tibbers teleports back to Annie.
--- Hornets can roam farther from Vespa than her aura can affect them, and they can also out-range her passive.
--- Killing Vespa enrages her hornets for 1 second, increasing their damage. However, after that 1 second, they all die.
--- Killing Vespa’s hornets returns no gold, except for the Swarm Striker, which returns gold like Tibbers does (being an ult and all)
--- To start, Vespa’s hornets may be weaker than Nexus-spawned minions. However, as they scale off her stats, by endgame they should be a legitimate threat if the player commands them correctly.
--- The auras incited by the various summons was inspired by the way Sona’s musical auras work. The associated buffs would be small, and only really noticeable over time.
--- If not commanded, Hornets follow the same engagement rules as minions and kind of wander around aimlessly attacking other minions, prioritizing turrets and anything that damages Vespa.
--- When idle, hornets do not sit still. They constantly move slowly around Vespa until their attention is drawn or they are ordered to do something.
--- Each time a Hornet is killed, Vespa takes a portion of their health as True damage. This is to force Vespa players to not use them recklessly. This damage can kill her if the player is not careful. If this happens, the damage source will be listed in the Death Recap under the credited player as “Swarm Feedback”.
--- Hornets can be commanded the same way as Mordekaiser’s clone-ghosts and similar summoned minions. Use Q to issue orders to Strikers, W to issue orders to Shifters, and R to issue orders to an active Stalker.
--- Hornets. Nature's solidified hate for all things.
More to come

Quotes
/jokes
WIP

/taunt
WIP

Attack
WIP

Movement
WIP

Idle in brush
WIP

Swarm Striker
WIP

Swarm Shifter
WIP

Dive Bomber
WIP

Swarm Stalker
WIP

Endertome

09-18-2012

The concept seems a little overpowered in my head and I am interested in feedback and suggestions from the community.

Endertome

09-20-2012

bump

DesertFox

09-20-2012

Breed of Yorick and Sona.

Dracklore

09-20-2012

Squishy summoner that dive bombs onto enemies and has a decently ranged auto-attack. What are you doing? I can't see any mage like this willingly flinging herself into a teamfight.

Can she have all of these hornets out at one time? Does one group die if another type is summoned?

Is allergy able to stack on someone afflicted by the CC of allergy? B/c I can see another 3 shots going off during the stun/slow which leaves three more to activate it again. Do the stacks last indefinitely until activated? If the enemy goes back will the stacks fade with time? Can she stack allergy on more than one champion at a time? Will attacking a new champion remove stacks from the first champion?

Keddrick

09-21-2012

Ridiculously op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matrixEXO

09-21-2012

Would like to review it but as of now, no numbers are given so it's hard to say whether her skills are overpowered or underpowered. Thematically, I would say it is a good champion. But the aura is kind of iffy. It reminds me of Sona's crossbred with Yorick's ghosts and have no timer on them. Would not like to comment on that.

Passive: Kennen can stack his stuns but they do drastically lower stun duration. I see a problem with this and her kit, especially since it is the only one with numbers, apart from her Swarm numbers. Still need numbers for the slow.

Q: Need numbers. DoT deals what kind of damage? Magical? Physical? True?

W: Need numbers. DoT deals what kind of damage? Magical? Physical? True?

E: Need numbers. DoT deals what kind of damage? Magical? Physical? True? What are the
multipliers if the enemy has all 6 stacks of Allergy?

R: Need numbers. Cleave deals how much damage? 100%? 50%?

Further Notes:
Note 2 - Is her passive aura-based?
Note 5 - When commanded, all her hornets attack a single target? (Note that there are issues with standard command actions with controllable units. Running away while Tibs is active causes it to stop attacking for some unknown reason, until commanded again.)
Note 6 - Are her auras stacking over time auras? (Sona's does not stack over time, it gets stronger every level)
Note 10 - Wrong about Malz Voidling. They are uncontrollable.

Like I said, need those numbers. Words are nice and all, but putting it down into values will determine how strong or weak the skill and her overall kit is. Also, she just reminds me of a Sona clone, a more offensive-oriented Sona clone. Not my cup of tea, really.

Endertome

09-21-2012

Granted I tend to shy away from numbers as I feel I'm too new to the game to know what is fair and balanced in the realm of numbers. That's something that I would prefer to leave to a more experienced balancer while I focus on the theme of the champion.

You did bring up some things that I can clear up or adjust though, and I'll do that after I've had some time to think on them.

I'll say right now that the auras don't get more powerful over time. Like Sona's, they grow as she levels up the corresponding skill and don't scale with stats.

Wrong about Malz voidling. Ah well. I never played him, it was just conjecture. I'll remove that now.

Skyhawke

10-02-2012

Hi Endertome! I'm waaaaaay late on this review--sorry about that. Without further adeiu:

Lore: Just a couple grammatical type things I would fix (some weird past/present tense stuff going on) but overall I like it. Maybe having her (explorer) own mind still break through here or there might be interesting??

Passive: I don't think this is weak at all.. especially since her abilities can build Allergy stacks as well. I actually think it's on the strong side. Overall I don't mind the concept as I think giving mages AA skills makes them a lot more interesting.

Q: These are going to be absolutely brutal early game. Even if they are weaker than minions, they will still be a very painful harrass that is nearly impossible to escape do to their speed. It really seems like she'd make even Yorick cry in lane.

W: If the Q didn't make her enough of a lane bully, this seals the deal. "Free" ranged harrass is serious business. Are you sure you need 2 summon skills on this champ?

E: I like the interaction with the passive, and the skill makes a lot of sense from a thematic standpoint. A couple potential problems I see with this skill. 1 - I think there are too many options of what could happen based on the Allergy stacks; consider trimming it down to two or three. 2 - Doesn't seem to synergize with the kit as a whole. Vespa seems like a champ that wants to sit back and let her bees do the work, but she's encouraged to dive in with this skill.

R: You didn't mention if they are melee or ranged, though I'm guessing melee. Hard to determine the strength of this skill without numbers.. if he is Tibbers-strong with a much longer duration that might be a little much.

Overall: I definitely see what you were going for here. The idea of this swarm of bees taking over the fight if not controlled is really, really cool. The strength of the bees is a concern though, and I don't know if it actually follows through with your intent for the champ (or at least my perception of your intent). A couple ideas to get your thoughts rolling: maybe make the bees really weak, but on a low cooldown (and maybe only 1 or 2 types of bees) to help her amass lots of bees, or make her more tanky and make the bees untargetable and annoying (but only deadly if they are ignored the whole fight). Anyways, thanks for bee-ing patient with me and for the sweet ideas xD

--Skyhawk47, CCF Council--