Barrymore - The Hallowed Thespian

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EGOtyst

09-18-2012

Barrymore - The Hallowed Thespian

Overview.
-Gender (Male)
-Race (Human)
-Alliance (Himself/ Leans towards good, but too good of an actor to know...)
-Class: (AP Support)
-Subclass: (AP Jungle.)
-Weapon: (Rapier)
-Attack Type: (Melee)
-Energy Source: (Mana)

Barrymore is an aggressive, debuff-oriented support. His lore is an unparalleled actor, looking to perform on the epic stage of the LoL. His core mechanics revolve around building an "audience," each member lending him a small buff, and debuffing them according to his performances.
His playstyle is risky, requiring him to be in the fray of battle, greatly rewarding him for being focused by multiple champs.

Abilities

Passive -
The Thrill of the Stage - All enemies who target Barrymore, and all of Barrymore's targets, gain a status effect "Audience Member" for 3 seconds. Barrymore gains +3% CDR, AR, MR, and MS for every unit with the "Audience Member" status. Barrymore may have up to 10 Audience Members at a time.

Q
Epic Tragedy:

Barrymore emotes waves of emotion in a cone in front of him, overcoming audience members with personal pain and tragedy.
Passive: Enemy audience members lose 5/7/9/11/13 MR and AR
Active: Cone deals 70/110/150/210/250 (0.6 AP) magic dmg and blinds enemies for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 sec.
Enemies damaged by Epic Drama become Audience members.
Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds
Mana: 70/80/90/100/110
Range: 550
Cone Width: 550

W:
Rousing Comedy
Barrymore enacts a belly-busting comedic scene, invigorating his fans and sending all audience members into fits of laughter.
Passive: Enemy audience members lose %5/7/9/11/13 AS
Channeled Active: Nearby Allied champions become audience members and gain +15/20/25/30/35 (+.3AP) Health/sec and 5/7/10/12/15 (+0.1AP) Mana/sec for the duration of the channel for every other audience member.
Enemies within range become audience members and are slowed by 10/12/15/17/20% while they are within range of the channel.
Channel Duration: 4 seconds
AoE Radius: 450
Cooldown: 20
Mana: 70/80/90/100/110

E:
Stage Combat:
Barrymore engages a foe in stage combat, drawing the attention of all surrounding audience members.
Passive: Enemy audience members lose 5/7/10/12/15 Atk Dmg
Active: Barrymore's next attack deals an extra 40/50/60/70/80 (+.3AP) Magic damage and taunts his target for .75/1/1.25/1.5/2 seconds. Taunted enemies deal 25% less damage while taunted. While taunted, Barrymore's attacks on the target deal an additional +.4 AP bonus damage.
Enemies within 125 range of the taunted enemy or Barrymore become audience members.
Cooldown: 12 seconds
Mana: 50

R:
Curtain Call:
No one can resist Barrymore's finale. And, when the curtain falls, they see nothing but his brilliance.
Passive: When Barrymore dies, all nearby audience members are silenced for 1/2/3 seconds.
All Champions around Barrymore become audience members for the duration of Curtain Call.
Level 1: For the duration of Curtain Call, enemy Audience Members lose vision of Champion health bars, mana/energy bars and Allied champion icons on the side of the HUD.
Level 2: For the duration of Curtain Call, teammates' models all look like Barrymore to Enemy Audience Member, in addition to lvl 1 effects.
Level 3: For the duration of Curtain Call, Enemy Champions lose team vision, in addition to lvl 1 and 2 effects.
AoE Radius: 600/650/700
Duration: 4/5/6
Cooldown: 140/120/100
Mana: 120/150/180

Base Stats.
-Base Health 390 (+80/lvl)
-Base Mana 260 (+45/lvl)
-Base Attack Damage 49 (+3/level)
-Base Attack Speed .635 (+3%/level)
-Attack Range 125
-Base Armor 13 (+2.7/level)
-Magic Resistance 30 (+0.75/level)
-Movement Speed 300

Appearance.
-6'2
-Taller, statuesque, older gentleman
-Grey Hair
-Weapons - Rapier
-Traditional Shakespearean actors attire (see attachment). Older, however, than the attached picture, but really only noticeable via grey hair and a grey goatee.

Lore:
Top billing in every city state, sold-out shows in every town, performances for kings and queens, and an army of devotees: Barrymore, Master of his craft, was hailed throughout Runeterra as the greatest actor to ever grace the stage. His bitter portrayals of loves lost and kingdoms destroyed made even the hardest Noxian generals weep, forcing them to stand, injuries be damned, and render applause. His ribald jests and rapier wit coaxed titters and blushes from spinster queens and even the sternest of Zaun's mages. His swordcraft on stage has been hailed as "majestic" and a "beautiful replacement for the barbaric real thing." He was beloved by all, Yordle and man, Ionian and Noxian, mage and monster, even after his sudden disappearance.

He grew bored. He had every audience clinging to his every word, baited on his every breath. Other actors on stage with him were overshadowed by even his slightest movement, their characters broken by his smallest of lines. In short, the stage had become too small for the talent that was Barrymore. He no longer had anyone to act beside him, nor anyone to impress. While at the height of his fame, still lauded as the greatest performer of the age, he disappeared, and no one had seen him in years. Until, one day, after having drifted into legend, he showed up on the steps of the Institute of War with a simple request. The League's officials were beside themselves, starstruck, and immediately granted him his petition: To perform on the greatest stage of existence, among the best of the best, and ply his trade amongst true stars once again.

"Barrymore is joining the league!? THE Barrymore?! THE BARRYMORE?!"
- Swain

Dialogue.

-Champion Selection:
"It shall be a performance you will never forget."
-Movement Quotes
"Enter: Stage Left"
"The show goes on..."
"Blocking, blocking, blocking"
-Attacking Quotes
"Into the Breach!"
"You thought this was fake?"
-Q Use
"'Tis a far, far better thing that I do..."
"You crazy, handfulla nothin..."
"Yeah, we'll have a rabbit hutch and chickens."
-W Use
"Thou Wall, O Wall, O sweet and lovely Wall,
Show me thy chink to blink through with mine eye!"
"This sword used to hold a pearl the size of your
eye. Look at me now, LOOK AT ME NOW! I'm wearing a
cardboard belt!"
-E Use
"Do you bite your thumb at me?!"
"Ah, but I am not left-handed..."
-R Use
"All the world's a stage, and I am its greatest player."
-Taunts
"How now my sweet creature of bombast?"
"Come, come, you talk greasily; your lips grow foul."
-Jokes
"Inside the Actor's Studio is filmed from my dressing room."
-Recall
"It's the door with the giant star on it."
-Death
"Et tu, Summoner?"
"I'll be back..."
-Champion Interactions
When Draven becomes an Audience Member:
"I'll show you a true performance, young man."

When Yorick Dies in-game
"Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him..."

Edit 1
Moved silence to ULT.
Added a small slow to the range of Rousing Comedy.
Slightly reworded ULT for clarity

Edit 2
Changed Passive to 3% buff from 5%
Changed Stage Combat to an on-hit effect. Added taunt.
Changed Curtain Call: made silence on death passive, added levels 1, 2 and 3.

EGOtyst

09-19-2012

Shameless.

MegaLuna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Awesome concept!

EGOtyst

09-19-2012

Thanks.

EGOtyst

09-20-2012

shameless bump

WindGuy101

09-20-2012

Stage Combat 5 enemies caught 18x5=90 total damage reduced in addition to armor, magic resistance, simutainously AOE buff and debuffs in addition to a straight buff to him for every audience member. As you begin to add the numbers up he stops an insane amount of damage as an AOE. I suggest making him a litte bit more like Sona except focus more on AOE debuffs that are only active one at a time while he grants one ally a small buff.

Love "Rousing Comedy". Attack speed reduced is too small. I know frozen heart does 20% and not going over item stats is a good general rule. In this case I would increase the amount since it is a channel.

I would remove silence from Rousing Comedy and add it to your passive on Curtain Call that when you die it releases a big AOE silence. Yes it sucks that you die to do it, but I like the concept that when this amazing actor dies its so moving that we are all left in complete awe and silence.... "Nooooooo! It can't end this way! Curses!!!" LOL.

Hiding Health bars... Brilliant! Maybe 2nd level hides Energy and Mana bars and 3rd they can't see theyr'e abilities on the que(like wether or not it is still on cooldow!)
Great concept and look forward to more.

EGOtyst

09-21-2012

So, regarding the final benefits of the entire kit:
There are no AoE buffs. The only buffs he really gives are directly to himself. And, since thy are % buffs, it really is never THAT much of a gain. Since he is support, he wont really be building much in the way of AR or MR, so the %buffs he is going to get are never going to be that high. When it comes to his buffs in MS and CDR, Those could stack to being huge, I agree. The caveat to this is that the audience members only last 3 seconds apiece, except for the ultimate (which I will get to in a bit).

Overall, youre right, in a perfect world scenario, the numbers, as far as debuffs etc on audience members could be huge. However, I felt like this is mitigated by the fact that the audience members only last for 3 seconds. And this only happens if he is damaged, or damages, someone else. So it is potentially huge, but to get the maximum benefit out of his debuffs and personal buffs, it is incredibly risky. He has to be in the middle of the fray to really make anything happen.
His Q and W only make audience members out of champions, and the range isnt all that great. So, if for instance, I were to make every enemy champ an audience member, at the same time, and I was lvl 18, each champ would get -13 MR/AR, -16AS, and -18AD. And this would only last for 3 seconds. From an item equivalent, the MR/AR is basically negating an Aegis for 3 seconds. For the AS, it is like getting a frozen heart for 3 seconds, and for the -AD, I am still just negating double an Aegis. But, again this is only for 3 seconds. And you are pretty much in melee range the entire time.

Basically, I think building up audience members is going to be risky and difficult to do. And, even if you get everything built all the way out, you are doing just a bit better than negating an Aegis. Not to mention, you don't effect casters very much with your debuffs, so it is even a bit more niche.

Looking at it from that angle, do you still feel like the numbers are a bit high? I mean, yes, 90 total dmg reduction seems huge, but it is for an extremely short duration, close range, and no CC...

Rousing Comedy: The AS debuff happens during every time people are an audience member, not just during the channel time. That being said, become an audience member, and your gonna have a bad day, stay out or range/don't focus Barrymore, No debuffs.
I do like the thematic implications of moving the silence to Curtain Call. I think that is a fine idea that I will definitely take to heart.

I am glad you like the Ult, in general. I thought it was pretty cool. I mean, Nocturne's ULT is so cool, because it does something no one else does, breaking the 3rd wall a bit, and actually affecting the player instead of just the toon. I thought, why not someone else. And, when I was more noob, I would hit that key that turns off health bars: immediately rendered useless. I thought it would be a cool addition.
As for the loss of vision on mana and energy bars, I meant for that to happen also, I just didnt put it in the description. It has now been added.

Shadowavion

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOtyst View Post
So, regarding the final benefits of the entire kit:
There are no AoE buffs. The only buffs he really gives are directly to himself. And, since thy are % buffs, it really is never THAT much of a gain. Since he is support, he wont really be building much in the way of AR or MR, so the %buffs he is going to get are never going to be that high. When it comes to his buffs in MS and CDR, Those could stack to being huge, I agree. The caveat to this is that the audience members only last 3 seconds apiece, except for the ultimate (which I will get to in a bit).

Overall, youre right, in a perfect world scenario, the numbers, as far as debuffs etc on audience members could be huge. However, I felt like this is mitigated by the fact that the audience members only last for 3 seconds. And this only happens if he is damaged, or damages, someone else. So it is potentially huge, but to get the maximum benefit out of his debuffs and personal buffs, it is incredibly risky. He has to be in the middle of the fray to really make anything happen.
His Q and W only make audience members out of champions, and the range isnt all that great. So, if for instance, I were to make every enemy champ an audience member, at the same time, and I was lvl 18, each champ would get -13 MR/AR, -16AS, and -18AD. And this would only last for 3 seconds. From an item equivalent, the MR/AR is basically negating an Aegis for 3 seconds. For the AS, it is like getting a frozen heart for 3 seconds, and for the -AD, I am still just negating double an Aegis. But, again this is only for 3 seconds. And you are pretty much in melee range the entire time.

Basically, I think building up audience members is going to be risky and difficult to do. And, even if you get everything built all the way out, you are doing just a bit better than negating an Aegis. Not to mention, you don't effect casters very much with your debuffs, so it is even a bit more niche.

Looking at it from that angle, do you still feel like the numbers are a bit high? I mean, yes, 90 total dmg reduction seems huge, but it is for an extremely short duration, close range, and no CC...

Rousing Comedy: The AS debuff happens during every time people are an audience member, not just during the channel time. That being said, become an audience member, and your gonna have a bad day, stay out or range/don't focus Barrymore, No debuffs.
I do like the thematic implications of moving the silence to Curtain Call. I think that is a fine idea that I will definitely take to heart.

I am glad you like the Ult, in general. I thought it was pretty cool. I mean, Nocturne's ULT is so cool, because it does something no one else does, breaking the 3rd wall a bit, and actually affecting the player instead of just the toon. I thought, why not someone else. And, when I was more noob, I would hit that key that turns off health bars: immediately rendered useless. I thought it would be a cool addition.
As for the loss of vision on mana and energy bars, I meant for that to happen also, I just didnt put it in the description. It has now been added.
Great concept I feel he's more an ap carry than a support but also more a support than a carry you kinda have him all over the place doing lots of dmg but also offering tons of buffs and debuffs and

His passive seems a bit over the top with the whole being able to effect other units, other than just enemy champions and since you can do that 10 stacks would probably be easy to get so you get 50% cd right there but only get 40% so in game there would be no point as to building an cooldown. also all the survivability buffs it gives i know you said he's not to build tanky but this is league everyone builds tanky so you might want to lower it change it or just make it a flat amount of AR and MR the MS can stay a percentage tho

Q is okay just think it does a lot of dmg for a support while offering alot of debuffs but the dmg could be fine its just having such a long build along with an AR and MR debuff that i feel this move is a bit over the top

W is great and could be left as is but the heal and mana regen would be to strong if you had more than 5 audience members i know the heal is about as strong as sorakas but yours also gives mana and gives a randuin debuff in an area so i feel if you lower the stacks it should fix alot

E this seems fine for what you want it to do but once again doesnt seem like a support ability

R I like this ability and i agree with the guy above saying to put the silence on a passive other than that its fine

I only have one problem with its stats and thats the MR supports dont have scaling MR unless their tanks and if they do have scaling MR than its 1.25/per lvl

also if you get the chance check out my champ
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2594239

Poeta Somnium

09-21-2012

Hello there! Poet Ultima here, representing the CCF Council with a review!

I must admit that you had me hooked with the Thespian-type concept; I'm a lover of the fine arts and the concept as a whole brought up fond memories of my own concept Virgil - The Wandering Storyteller. Ah, the warm fuzzy nostalgia! =)

Passive: Ack! At the full ten stacks, Barrymore would have 50% Cooldown Reduction, but CDR has a hard cap of 40%! I would nix the CDR bit altogether; giving everyone within an aura 50 Armor, Magic Resist and Movement Speed is already very powerful, and I think that the stack system you have would work out nicely; it would give you and your carry a slight edge in the lane phase and have a much more tangible impact during late-game teamfights. The additional CDR is just too much.

Q: I've long felt that blind is highly undervalued as a support mechanic.... it removes the enemy carry's ability to riposte in duel situations! That's a very powerful tool. It would also give Barrymore the ability to kite and harrass without fearing too much reciprocative damage from the enemy. I like this.

W: A major problem here is that it requires both Barrymore and his allies to remain immobile for the duration of the channel to gain any sort of benefit from it, which is counterintuitive. Furthermore, at only 350 units your AoE would require other champs to virtually stand right next to Barrymore for any effects to take place. I would use Karthus' defile as a good blueprint; make it an AoE aura that he can toggle on and off, and I would probably at least double the radius. And most importantly, let him move around! A channel on a support is pretty crippling, mobility is very important.

E: I understand the thematic tie-in to character, but this doesn't feel like a support ability to me. It encourages the player to build AS to get the most out of the magic damage, which doesn't benefit the rest of the team, and the high AP ratio encourages building AP, which wouldn't benefit the rest of his kit as much as CDR and defense would, (not to mention; auras items would be great on this guy.)

So, let's look at the rest of the kit and find out what he's lacking. You already have a great stat steroid with your passive, poke and damage negation with your Q, sustain with your W, and disruption with your Ultimate. What Barrymore is lacking is a form of hard CC. What about a taunt? He is after all this famed performer of umatched merit, right? Just an idea.

R: The thematic here is brilliant; Barrymore's death leaves his audience in hushed awe, (aka silence).... brilliant. As for the removal of health bars, it feels like it falls rather short of being a true "Ultimate"; the greatest effect it has (the silence) is only active upon Barrymore's death, which means the ability doesn't feel rewarding unless the player sacrifices himself; anti-fun. Since the audience has eyes only for Barrymore, what if upon activation, the models of all allies replicated Barrymore for the duration or until the real Barrymore is killed? This would create mass confusion; who's the carry? Who's the tank? Who do we focus? Who do we run away from? Imagine the chaos in teamfights; I think it would be pretty hilarious personnally. Again, just an idea.

Lore: Even I dare not challenge the performance of the great Barrymore!

Seriously though, this is good stuff. Short, sweet, it gets the job done. I can hear Swain squealing "THE BARRYMORE?" even now. XD

Overall: Huge potential here. Huge. Keep tweaking until it feels right; you aren't that far off. I'm no good with base stats, but LoL Wikia is a good reference material if you want to compare them to the stats of existing champs. Your numbers look pretty good to me, but like I said I'm no expert.

I hope you found this review constructive and insightful. We in the Council do not ask for reviews of our own, but ask that you instead review a fellow Summoner's work that interests you, thereby passing on the favor to someone in need. =)

If you have any further questions, you know where to find us!

~ Poet (CCF Council)

EGOtyst

09-21-2012

@shadow:
Q: I based the dmg on Q off of Cho's scream and Taric's shatter. The damage is almost exactly in line with both of them, but I can understand the thought of it being too high.
Also, the MR/AR debuff, even combined, is lower than Taric's Shatter, and it doesn't give an AOE buff.
I mean, it is honestly weaker than shatter, but is a cone and debuffs a bit of MR, also, which is worse in lane, but better in team fights.

W: Yes, this could be very strong if I had a lot of team members. This is why i made it channelled and has a small radius. You arent going to be healing your whole team with this, or else they will all be clumped around you, and they dont want to do that in a team fight, since they are sitting ducks.
Not to mention, the coordination between getting 5 stacks and getting enough people around you...

E: This is not much of a support ability, I agree. It is a primary way, however, for him to spread his audience. Additionally, I think it fits in extremely well with his overall feel as a champion. I have been toying around with the idea of making the final hit, in addition to doing magic dmg, applying a short stun or something.
As it stand now, he only reliable way, other than this ability, to gain audience members is to Q, which isnt up very often. This is the key ability to gaining audience members. BUt, the caveat is that it is only with melee range, and doesnt do much damage. This is the ability I thought really increased his overall high risk-high reward playstyle. You dont agree?

As for the ULT, I agree. THe silence on death as a part of the ult is clutch, and a perfect spot for it. I have already moved it.

As far as the MR scaling with lvl, this also exists for Kayle and Nidalee, both hybrid supports. I thought it was only fair to have on Barrymore, as he is a melee support. And, Taric gets 1.25, also.

The passive: You could be right. It might be giving me a bit to much from a passive. So, I think I will toy around with reducing the % gain to 3 instead of 5.

Thanks for the insight.