Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larcent

09-18-2012

Well ****. This changes my entire plot for my NaNoWriMo novel in November. I should have suspected the nature of the conflict between Warwick and Soraka would have to change under the new story guidelines.

But, oddly, Warwick's motives seem to add a new problem to the lore. It creates a deadline or timeframe of sorts, something I don't see meshing well with your new storytelling efforts. WIthout an avenue to advance stories, that issue of Warwick potentially losing his mind is a bit awkward.

Also, there's the issue of the way the matches work. They are actually fighting on the fields of justice, right? It's just that the magic of the field and the summoners have the power to undo the champions' deaths there. So he can get Soraka's actual blood and probably has many times over. Or did you mean to say that Warwick needs regular infusions of Soraka's blood to maintain his human mind? If that's not what you meant, maybe it should be. It erases the idea of some hard deadline where Warwick goes completely feral.

IS1794df284f3d528710d98

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Soraka healed herself too quickly for much blood to be spilled; also, Warwick's going to need a lot more blood to stabilize his transformation--it's not something Soraka could live through easily.
Well, that's... kind of not very obvious.

Other than that, thumbs up. I was unsure about how new lore would turn out after the first attempt at Katarina's, but I am not disappointed.

Zerglinator

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenail Clipping View Post
Well, that's... kind of not very obvious.
Agreed. A better excuse explanation is needed.

Perhaps that the "divine" levels in her blood were lessened by her becoming mortal, and thus Warwick needs several pints of blood from Soraka now?

Rkon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

This lore is acceptable, though I don't think any changes were necessary to begin with. It kind of feels like Warwick went from bad ass chemical terrorist to kidnapper.

I also agree with previous posters about how I found Soraka's anger towards Warwick in the old lore a compelling trait. Now it just seems like Soraka is a naive person that is all about heals and love, though I guess it fits the playstyle.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

09-18-2012
4 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post
When you say Soraka holds every creature close to her heart, does it include "monsters" such as Voidborns ? Would she heal Kog'Maw if he had a very deep wound or is he too much of a danger to let live ?

Questions aside, I really like this new lore.
I think Soraka has the ability to see the good in everyone and everything. As mentioned above, she'll likely struggle with her desire to protect all living things and the knowledge that, in the end, she really can't--some things may be too far gone to save (for now, Warwick likely falls into this category).

RiotRunaan

09-18-2012
5 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
First thing that hits me is that Soraka's lore so longer mentions her "devolving" to any extent.

That coupled with the Soraka art rework poll receiving a lot of votes for "make her more human" leads me to this:

You're getting rid of her animal legs, aren't you?
She didn't devolve; she's not human at all--her appearance is entirely unique to Valoran, as she is the only Starchild. It has nothing to do with her evolving or devolving from a human form, as she never had one.

As for her art rework--wait and see, but I think you'll really like what we've got in store for you.

Falling Objects

09-18-2012

I personally dislike the changes to the lore, but that's just my opinion and such. I'm not a big fan of retcons in general, but I suppose this is acceptable.

Rkon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

I noticed that the lore no longer makes connections between the character and the league. In a lot of the old lore there are explicit statements that describe the champions intentions for joining the league. These intentions are only mentioned implicitly, if at all now (Syndra). Is there a reason for this?

RiotRunaan

09-18-2012
6 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Farsight View Post
Hmm, is the Soraka lore change tied to her model update? If so, can we expect model updates for Warwick and Singed too?

As for the lore itself, why is the trickery Warwick employed against Soraka not explained in his own lore? It feels odd to just mention "but she discovered his ploy and drove him away with powerful magic." on his lore, but detail his ploy on Soraka's lore. Just my opinion.
The actual details of Warwick's ploy were relevant to how Soraka is lured into a trap, but what's most important for Warwick's lore is that he failed to get her blood. You get both sides of the story by reading both bios.

MrHarz

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
She didn't devolve; she's not human at all--her appearance is entirely unique to Valoran, as she is the only Starchild. It has nothing to do with her evolving or devolving from a human form, as she never had one.

As for her art rework--wait and see, but I think you'll really like what we've got in store for you.
Dunno about that, I'll be upset if she's just another bombshell human in a skimpy outfit because people couldn't fap to a weird otherworldly chick with goat legs and a horn.

However, the part about her appearance being unique to Valoran part does somewhat stem my concerns about that.