Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Civilized Rat

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Bot View Post
Does this mean Warwick is receiving a splash and model update concurrently with Soraka?
OH GOD PLEASE DO THIS. His stick legs just look horrible. The background portrait of Warwick in the LoL site should be the comparison model.

MiaoLong

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshioPeePee View Post
i have never really bought the notion of an intelligent creature acting more as a force of nature, and thus falling outside of morality labels such as "good" and "evil"

league has yet to introduce a void champion that does not appear to be a sentient creature, therefore calling a figure like cho'gath a "destructive force" instead of an evil being in the traditional sense strikes me as strange

kog'maw seems like a very young member of whatever type of creature he is supposed to be and thus could arguably be a better candidate for this question. (we don't know much of Kha'Zix yet so i don't have an opinion on how to think of him)

whenever fantasy tries to suggest that a clearly sentient and thinking being falls outside of morality somehow (dark gods and what have you) i tend to not buy the argument, how can something be more of a force if it has the ability to reason?
You do not have to have a morality to be intelligent. At least, not morality like a human. Even some humans don't have moralities like humans, dafaq would a Void monster have you think?

You know what their destructive force that transcends intelligence is? Hunger. They're hungry, that's literally it. I bet we would come off as Void freakin' monsters to cows, but f*ck cows, and a Void monster would probably have the same reaction to pretty much everything.

Oug

09-18-2012

+1
Riot continuing to move in the right direction. Confirms that concerns over Katarina's lore setting a trend were completely unjustified. Very well done.
Also, two bios released at once signify an increasing pace of lore production? (Note: not actually increased pace, but nearing lore singularity)

Nomtaka

09-18-2012

In Irelia's lore it mentions Soraka being involved in the war. Is this going to change?

SFHFWill

09-18-2012

So...yeah so many loop holes in this junk. AMA...it means ask me anything. Doesn't mean I'll answer the hard stuff.

sedokichi

09-18-2012

Just a couple of thoughts:

IMHO, the old lore for Warwick was much, much better, simply for the fact that it gave his past an air of mystery, and it gave him a beastly Bruce Banner > Hulk / Dr. Jekyll > Mr.Hyde feel.

Sorry, but the new lore sounds too happy and cutesy and moves away from the "beast in charge" with a dark and foreboding backstory of the previous one. Feels like you've turned him into this friendly but manipulative ex-hunter/gather character. Old warwick EMBRACED his curse. This new one wants to give Soraka a big ol' hug before he forgets why.

I read it as "Hi, this is Warwick. And this is why he's not a nice person." Please re-write it, it just sounds a little silly.

As far as Soraka, why would you want to move away from this Being that gave up Divinity to stop a murderer from slaying people into this... this ditz. The old story had conflict, drive and color.

I will close by saying the old lore used a lot of extraordinary and thought invoking words to create an overarching theme -- it read like an blurb straight out of a fantasy novel. This one feels like an underwhelming, but satisfactorily graded assignment from a 4th grade English class. No offense to the writer, but please -- juice up something more fantastical.

SarenArterius

09-18-2012

I don't like it. His initial disposition seemed intelligent because it was assumed that he worked as an intellectual mercenary from Zaun. Now he seems like a hired henchmen.

ThorRush

09-18-2012

Wow, I didn't think Soraka and Warwick's lores could be improved like this. I like it, there's a lot of depth here and their characters are well defined. Soraka's new post-demotion motivation (caring for fellow mortals vs trying to be divine again) is less quasi-religous and more understandable. Warwick no longer holds the same place in Zaun society (ruthless, cruel chemist) - but his new place fits the character of Zaun in almost the same capacity (hands on, ruthless, ambitious man-for-hire). His job also sort of reminds me of a more independent Igor from Frankenstein (even if he's not in the book and only collected ... parts).

Soraka's grove reminds me somewhat of Lulu's background. Are they related at all? Are there timeless locations scattered around Valoran as a result of the Rune Wars or the naturally high levels of magic?

Vile Samael

09-18-2012

This is definitely a matter to be thought through. I like a lot of the suggestions here, although I have an issue with the matter of just collecting her blood on the fields of justice. I can't really put what I have in mind into words at the moment, but I honestly think that the matter is a little more complicated and the solution might not be as simple as it seems. Just food for thought, guys.

Otherwise I'm making no actual contribution to this thread WHOOPS, pretty much everything I would say has already been said. So just uh, keep up the good work Riot, your lore and character designs fascinate and inspire me.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

09-18-2012
11 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Skler View Post
Oh, you also make Singed sound sane, which is weird. He's supposed to be a mad scientist; warning Warwick that drinking an unfinished potion would be dangerous is super out of character. Jayced!
I wanted to address this really quickly - just because Singed is a mad scientist doesn't mean he can't have a moment of compassion for someone he considers his close friend. Singed is a cruel man, but he's still capable of empathy. I think he'd also be something of a perfectionist in this case, as the potion would be a masterpiece--of course he wanted it to work, as it'd be a demonstration of his mastery over his craft.