Creative Design AMA - Soraka and Warwick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dafedidi

09-18-2012

I'm not gonna lie, I'm sad that Warwick and soraka have ( now ) no relation with the ionia vs noxus war.

It makes sense to me since Nexus and Zaun are friend and help each other.

What do you think about it RiotRunaan ? Why did you remove that aspect ?

Please, don't delete the war

BusuTabby

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooterfly View Post
So. You just took a good story with real conflict and changed it to some mundane, I gotta get Soraka for this magic potion I want story.

This waters down the characters to trivial broad stroke characters with generic motivations.

The curse story line was great. What you call a double fail, is actually good story telling. People don't always succeed and it made Soraka a tragic character. The bad guy getting what he wants (for now...) that's a great tension builder and gives Soraka's character something to work towards. Now she's basically a fob? Seriously.

It feels like you are watering down the lore into something simple and plain. I get no real sense of conflict or characters of more than just one dimension. You removed what little connection I had to their story.
this is my feeling entirely. i loved the dynamic between them and the nuances that were explored in the joj. all of that gone for something that has little to no substance. and i already miss the apprentice-master relationship for warwick and singed. people are no longer able to have the same profession and a unique relationship to go along with it?

bleh.

ssShazam

09-18-2012

Will their ever be individual conclusions to lore, not necessarily true to all the champions but for one selected champion, if everything goes their way. Almost like an unlock of storyline to an arcade mode of a fighting game.

Topagae

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooterfly View Post
So. You just took a good story with real conflict and changed it to some mundane, I gotta get Soraka for this magic potion I want story.

This waters down the characters to trivial broad stroke characters with generic motivations.

The curse story line was great. What you call a double fail, is actually good story telling. People don't always succeed and it made Soraka a tragic character. The bad guy getting what he wants (for now...) that's a great tension builder and gives Soraka's character something to work towards. Now she's basically a fob? Seriously.

It feels like you are watering down the lore into something simple and plain. I get no real sense of conflict or characters of more than just one dimension. You removed what little connection I had to their story.
Not just a connection to the story, but the characters. I have almost largely ignored characters I don't have find compelling to my roster. It's something I noticed today when talking to my buddy who "Loves to spear people with Nidalee!"

Whose Nidalee? A spear throwing amazon cougar lady? Okay.. .Whose Soraka? A god who smote a man killing millions of her people, sacrificing herself to save others because she couldn't stand by. It's something you remember.

HayabusaZero

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
I really love stories, and I am very interested in the lore for League of Legends. However, I think this lore needs to be tinkered with before it is final because of some unfortunate implications and problems.

First of all, generally, this lore means that Warwick's grand master plan was to grab a dead Ionian lady (or kill a live Ionian, which is more likely), haul her corpse back to Soraka, and put on a show about how sad he is and how much he wants to avenge her death. He doesn't do this just once, no. He comes back for several days and is so darn charming about it that Soraka essentially falls in love with him. Warwick might as well have had a mustache to twirl.

The next step of his master plan is to pretend that he's so weak that a group of random men can nearly kill him. They probably DO almost kill him, because Soraka is queen of healing and W+R isn't doing anything, so she starcalls his attackers into ... running away. This starcall is so momentous that it causes her to lose her divinity, and all it did to the minions was make them flee in terror. This same starcall ("she called once more on the power of the stars") is going to curse Warwick's flesh permanently.

This is a bad plan. This is a dumb plan. Is Warwick dumb? Because that's what I'm getting from this.

As for reading the two lores together, I cannot conclude that Soraka is anything other than dumb herself. In Warwick's lore, it states that:

This implies that Soraka did something to discover his ploy. She didn't, though. She literally did not have a clue until after he stabbed her. Our poor derpy unicorn was so blinded by love that Charming Conartist Warwick was able to pull one over on her all the way up until he stabbed her. How is that "discover[ing] his ploy"? Is it "discovering" the evil plan if you walk all the way into it and don't realize it until the cage falls on top of you? There is nothing in Soraka's lore to her credit, only reaction and not thinking.

As for Warwick, he's so smooth and charming as this woebegone widower that he can pull this entire plan off, "survive" the attack, ACTUALLY SUCCEED IN STABBING HER after she has already lost her immortality, but he nevertheless fails to gather the necessary blood and then he gets horrifically injured by Starcall, which again had just made some people run away. I'm assuming she had max CDR and it stacked in a big darn hurry.

Essentially, the combination of these two lores make Soraka a goddess that loses everything for love but doesn't have the brains to figure anything out until he actually stabs her. Warwick is less a scientist, less an evil experimenter, and more a conartist that has the patience for a ridiculously convoluted ploy but not enough to figure out a better way of killing her than by stabbing her with a regular knife. Is he a scientist or not? Right now, he's a B-movie villain that couldn't even get her blood after it spilled, presumably, over the hand that stabbed her. That stabbing part really has to go, there's just no good way of reasoning that he failed to get her blood even after cutting her.

Further, there are some weird problems with this timeline. Apparently, it's after she "sear[s] his flesh and curs[es] his cruelty" that he runs away "howling" and THEN returns to Singed and drinks the wolf potion. The howling is misleading, as it implies that Soraka has already turned him into a wolf when at most she has revealed him to be a beast. At best, this is mixing metaphors and it's confusing since he really will turn into a wolf right after this.

Finally, I have no clue why derping into a conman's trap and surviving a stab wound after falling in love with an evil scientist empowers Soraka. Saying Soraka is empowered after this does not make it so. She has new purpose, but where did this purpose come from? She wanted to heal people before, too. She defeated Warwick, but that situation was humiliating for her and she was tricked all the way to the end. My guess is that you intend empowerment to come from the fact that she can injure others without restriction and/or because she is free from the grove, but the connection is not clear enough and it emphasizes the touchy-feely aspects of Soraka in this lore - all about love and healing, and nothing of the goddess she once was.

Anyway, I appreciate the opportunity to post on the forums about this with the actual Lore creators. I hope the criticism is constructive and that you don't take offense; I'm excited by lore revamps and lore in general.
^^ This. I can't simply put it in better words that this.

At least before we got a more original storyline, which i would prefer to stay and polish, instead of changing it to a more fantastical one.

Krufix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

I do like the lores but I'm a bit anxious about Singed.
Warwick teaching Singed to be a chemist is so deep set that changing it would be a huge scramble to the lore. (Singed's ult even says that he's Warwick's Apprentice).

Jaghatai

09-18-2012

I'm going to echo disappointment here. This new story while does flesh out Warwick a little more trivializes and frankly cliche's Soraka.

She's a nothing character to me now ... just another victim ...

And Warwick doesn't make sense anymore as people have pointed out .. he should carry a bottle every time he gets on the fields. Tear Soraka up. Blood -> Bottle.

Leave field turn over to singed. Next day new bottle. Cure would be done in a week.

Further, Singed himself would probably be in on it too ... so two people working for it ... Mundo would probably be interested himself and while Warwick wouldn't ask, Singed would.

There's too many loose threads in this new version.

Diras

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

If Soraka became mortal, wouldn't that mean her blood no longer counts as the "blood of an immortal", making it useless to Warwick?

Swanhaven

09-18-2012

Okay, time to compile my Frodo.jpg list:

1. How did Singed know what celestial blood would do?
2. How did Warwick know how to turn Soraka mortal?
3. Why was Soraka made mortal for a victimless incident where...some bandits got scared and ran away?
4. Why didn't the stars just tell Soraka Warwick was evil?
5. Did Soraka even know she could be made mortal?
6. Why didn't Warwick just tell all the bandits what was going to happen, and have them all jump Soraka at once when she turned mortal? They could have killed her easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diras View Post
If Soraka became mortal, wouldn't that mean her blood no longer counts as the "blood of an immortal", making it useless to Warwick?

Ask Mad Chemist

09-18-2012

How much will this affect Singed lore?
What is the actual relationship of Warwick and Singed?