Just my opinion...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApriKot

09-22-2010

So, before I get into it, I'll go ahead and post my specs.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I haven't tried changing the settings of the game because I wasn't sure, but...
In my opinion, the game is not worth playing in Mac if you have to play on low settings.
As it is, in bootcamp the game runs flawlessly. I live in S. Korea with a 150-200 ping and I am usually the first to load in games, and my system preforms fine.
In Mac, there are lag issues. I load incredibly slow and I'm usually last. It delays in picking times so I'm never my first choice. During battles, it becomes a huge issue. When the game finishes, it takes a 2-3 minutes to go to the after game stat screen. My computer is a month old so this isn't due to an issue of too much memory being used or hard drive space. It doesn't make sense why it is so choppy. The screen needs to be fixed so the above toolbar doesn't push the game screen down.
Sure, I could change the settings, but I don't see why I should have to. People enjoy playing their games in the normal mode. My Mac is a VERY good computer and can run everything else better than a PC can. I was so excited to see LOL for Mac, but so far it has been quite difficult and almost unplayable. For now, it's just better to play on bootcamp until those issues can be fixed.

Everyone else can give their thoughts as well, but these are just mine.

Udyr

eCommerce Manager

Follow Udyr on Twitter

09-22-2010
1 of 3 Riot Posts

A few questions:

What does your activity monitor say while you are in game for LolClient?

Which settings are you running on?

Which graphics card is in the computer?

crz

09-22-2010

wow, although i dont lag during game play, i could say i have the EXACT same problem as the thread starter, and my mac is also VERY competent and not even 1 month old, i already posted a topic about it. my specs are also same as the topic starter, with a nvidia 320m graphics card.

but as i said in my post also, i seriously doubt its the problem with our macs, our specs are very competent to even play high end graphic demanding games, im pretty sure its the problem with the client. proves it even more when the topic starter says he got none of those problems when he was playing with bootcamp.

Udyr

eCommerce Manager

Follow Udyr on Twitter

09-22-2010
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz View Post
wow, although i dont lag during game play, i could say i have the EXACT same problem as the thread starter, and my mac is also VERY competent and not even 1 month old, i already posted a topic about it. my specs are also same as the topic starter, with a nvidia 320m graphics card.

but as i said in my post also, i seriously doubt its the problem with our macs, our specs are very competent to even play high end graphic demanding games, im pretty sure its the problem with the client. proves it even more when the topic starter says he got none of those problems when he was playing with bootcamp.
There are a ton of differences between running a program on a Mac and a PC. The entire architecture of the operating system is different.

Windows uses DirectX while Mac uses OpenGL. Windows uses one disk formatting and Mac uses its own.

Its really an apples to oranges comparison.

That being said, we are actively working on making the experience better, and provided very detailed feedback will help us improve the client.

crz

09-22-2010

i see what u mean udyr, we told u our specs. i still think the overall spec still matters, and our spec is well over competent enough to run LoL not to be loading that slow

Issege

09-22-2010

Don't newer macs have two video cards that on default use the one that is not suited to gaming? I'm not sure if this applies to your problem but I've seen it pop up on the forums before

Hibernian

09-22-2010

I have noticed that despite 4 GB of RAM, my loading screen before the game starts is still pretty close to what it was on my PC with much lower specs. I also have the problem with REALLY long load times for stats after the game is completed.

But this guy is being silly about it not being "worth it" on the Mac. Overall the game runs really well and is very stable. I'm enjoying it greatly. Definitely worth having on a Mac.

ymom2

09-22-2010

I hope riot can find solutions to the performance problems, although i believe it is the mac system and their graphics drivers, only recently has apple been focusing on graphics because of the push from Steam and macs not really being used for gaming before hand.

crz

09-22-2010

please fix soon, i think this makes us use alot more CPU resources too, and makin our load time so long

ApriKot

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
A few questions:

What does your activity monitor say while you are in game for LolClient?

Which settings are you running on?

Which graphics card is in the computer?
By Activity Monitor, do you mean the FPS? It's usually around 25-30. If this isn't it, lemme know how to find this out for you, and I'm not sure what you mean by setting.
My graphics info is as follows.

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3533