Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jump from bots to normal (need help positioning)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChocolateBubbles

09-18-2012

...I...I'm traumatised.

Really. My mentor/friend suggested I level to 20 with bots before playing normals, to get the runes, try out champs, find play style, and to get the general run down of mechanics like last hitting. I played a bit of normals here and there on another friend's account, who was fairly low. I survived OK, but the majority was bot games. I hit 20 yesterday and am competent at last hitting, and I have map awareness and such.

Then I tripled queued, and was forced into the role of support. I played Janna maybe once before. Suddenly I was sucked into a vortex, where if I was a little bit out of position, I was dead. I checked my friend's normal elo, and they were both in the high 1500s. Their technique is basically "play at a high level and hope you don't feed." And I fed hard. Embarrassingly hard.

I need tips on positioning, it was something I never thought of before hand. I'm a bit nervous to solo que yet, so I'm trying to survive people with way more experience and knowledge to pwn the poop outta me. I'll continue to play support because my friend will play ADC to direct me and stuff and it'll let me see how a game is normally like.

Míley Dyrus

09-18-2012

1. You shouldn't have played bots to 20
2. League is all about positioning. To be honest, with over 100 champs, you really just have to take the time to get used to their range/harass ability

ACGIFT

09-18-2012

Yeah, I wouldn't have waited to go to level 20 before starting to seriously do PvP... Mostly the reason you want to avoid it at first is to just avoid the smurfs, which start really dropping off around levels 7-9 or so, and are thoroughly gone by 15 or so. There's an advantage had to play normal at earlier levels: bots simply don't act like people, are infinitely predictable, and just don't do anything interesting. Furthermore, you can trust that because runes are bought with IP only... No, you won't constantly be against people with better rune pages than you. At lower levels, even simply having a handful of good, solid all-purpose runes (flat AD, AP, armor/resist and MS tier 1s work nicely) will easily hold you over and often give you the edge.

But anyway, as a support, zoning/positioning is critical, and likely what hurt you a lot here. You see, in the teen levels is when people start to get a feel for the ranges and such of their favorite champions. And it's in real matches where this will matter, since bots don't do zoning.

Anyway, since you're at a disadvantage with your zoning skills, you'll likely have to compensate by being more defensive; you won't be as effective a support, but hopefully you'll be able to catch up soon to be more helpful for the rest of your team.

Probably your biggest issue will be making sure that you're not over-extended in terms of health and mana. Since they fit with a support, I'd likely go with taking both heal and clarity: start thinking hard when you see one of your meters get low, and make your decision on whether you want to pop a spell, or recall. (contrary to what many may believe, Flash will not make up for a lack of zoning skill; using it well ITSELF requires very good zoning skill) Eventually, you'll get a better idea of what your limits and ranges are, and will need to have those less and less. Eventually you could replace one of them with something to improve your support ability further, such as teleport.

LowlyingLemur

09-18-2012

I'd recommend making a new account and playing pvp at a lower level for a while. If you are getting matched against a lot of high level veterans it can be quite daunting.

How did you check your friend's normal elo? I thought that was hidden.

I think proper positioning will come with experience. Without knowing the capabilities of all the champions you are up against, or at the very least the one you are playing inside and out, its not going to be easy. I don't really see how someone could jump in with a champion they've played maybe once before and expected to position well.

Don't let your team muscle you into playing a champ you don't know. Pick someone you are confident with even if it means no one is in a traditional support role.

Tires

09-18-2012

I suggest to all my friends almost the exact opposite of what your friend suggested. If you're playing a new champion play it against bots once or twice (just so you get the hang of it) then just start playing against people. Trial by fire works much better than training against bots. I mean bots don't even check bushes I've escaped the whole bot team by dodging into a bush and just sitting there, this won't work against a human player and is part of the reason you've become so bad. You're playing at what some of my friends started learning at level 10 and its because you fell into bad habits against bots.

I do wish you the best of luck but beyond just getting your butt handed to you in PVP there isn't really a way to learn, also I'd disagree playing against level 30 people since they will probably have vastly more experience (especially since you're not used to playing people).

Itsmedemo

09-18-2012

Don't play with your high elo friends right now. Just solo queue. Play whatever you feel comfortable with - if you don't like support, don't play it. You can't learn a million things at once, only one or two. So play a champ you are comfortable with, go in a lane, and just play against your opponent.

Nobody should be forced into a support role as one of their first ever PvP games against good opponents and expect them to do well, or even have fun.

I will reiterate that playing against bots teaches you bad habits. I played against bots until SL 15, and now I'm 22 and wildly better, just by playing against people.

And honestly, playing against people is way more fun. I was really scared/hesitant about doing it, but I cannot really have fun in a bot game anymore, they are 100% predictable. You can't get outplayed by a bot, but you also can't outplay them - you are playing vs a machine. You can gank/use surprise tactics/outplay people

The first games you'll be doing in a PVP game will mostly be unlearning all the bad habits you built up in your bot games. Only then can you start to learn how to play against people.

Don't worry. You'll lose. alot. But it's ok! You'll get better, I did!

Abdelazar

09-18-2012

1. Your friend should probably be playing the support and you the ADC...

2. Ignore idiots who instalock teemo then tell you to play support (if you're playing blind pick that is, which I assume you are because you're sub-30). It's ok if you have a team with 5 ADC at that level. It doesn't matter much.

3. Bots are stupid. You can overextend and do reeaallly stupid and ballsy things that would get you killed in a normal game. Play safer.

4. If you play ADC, you should play someone with an escape/dash like Vayne/Graves/Ez/Corki because it'll help you position better. But it's your preference. (I personally learned Kog first.)

5. Just play safe and watch your cs I guess. Most importantly, don't let anybody tilt you.

Bear Monkey

09-18-2012

Well you're 20 now so just buy some decent runes and practice certain roles. For me I'm concentrating on Jungler/support atm. I play the free ones that come out each week and buy ones that I like. When you're done with that try ap mid or adc...and yea its all fun so don't worry if you suck at normal

Drakkar

09-18-2012

Hey. I did the same thing as you and honestly, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be =/

I'll do a leg up than everyone here by telling you to tell them to drop dead. Add me in game & i'll help you out, i know it must be hard to only get text replies to things you want to improve on.

Cindy Nguyen

09-18-2012

In my opinion, just keep playing bots until you know how to play the game properly. Playing with bot games is WAY different than playing normal games (a heck lot easier..) , so if I were you, I would avoid playing too many bot games. Though, it is easier said than done. :< Oh yeah, and play bot games if you're trying out a new champion so you don't get pooped on by your team mates during normals!

Er.. well. What I did was that I played bot games by myself, and occasionally I would play normal games with friends, and they would help me learn and stuff, too!)

Also, play a role you're comfortable with. Avoid playing a role you don't like (such as support). There are some situations where your team mates are just complete fork faces and force you to play a role you don't want to, but that's okay! You have next game to choose a different role!

Good luck! =)