LOL v. DotA 2, Why I'm Still Here.

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VengefulMarv

09-17-2012

So I received my beta invite for Dota 2 finally. Played a few games on it. Was reminded rather starkly of why I'll be staying here. But before you scream "lol fanboy!" at me, I'll explain.

First, lol isn't perfect. The mindset of "that looks good, let's nerf it" can be rather disappointing sometimes. Having to unlock content can be kinda difficult with current IP gains, and sometimes things that NEED to be taken care of get swept under the rug for far too long.

That said: the DotA experience is nowhere near as fun on MANY levels. Ever been stun juggled? Yeah, not fun. And stuns are WAY long over there. Stun-lock is a serious buzz-kill.

Ever seen the player base over there? We complain about trolls. They have more leavers than I've ever seen in LoL, period. Leaving is a part of their subculture. "Don't touch my creeps or I'll leave" has been said no less than 3 times today in games I was in. Also, fountain farmers. Yeah, everyone likes to have a nice post-game score every now and then.... Out of the few games I played, I saw fountain farmers in half. (if you don't know what that is, that's where you ace the enemy team near end, and just sit there repeatedly killing them at spawn, it's far more possible in dota than in lol)

Dota has many GOOD concepts going for it, but they also are missing out. Denying is useful, and for the more hardcore players, a great thing. But it also makes games a lot slower. There's a few really awesome items over there too. (bottle, divine rapier). But the "carry" mindset really kills things.

TLDR: After playing both, I'm still here and will remain here. There are many toxic gameplay factors in dota that take away from the gaming experience.

CLG DoubIelift

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

umad i bumped u

Rilakkuma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

If 2 AD carries are in bot lane in LoL and both are last hitting effectively, the minions die.

If 2 AD carries are in bot lane in DotA and both are last hitting + denying effectively, the minions die faster.

Where this mentality of "denying = slower" came from I'll never know. It's very far from the truth.

Champions push lanes 100x faster than minions will. Being able to control and deny your enemy is a good thing, not a bad thing. However, my comments will never change that opinion over here.

SuicideCreamPuff

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulMarv View Post
So I received my beta invite for Dota 2 finally. Played a few games on it. Was reminded rather starkly of why I'll be staying here. But before you scream "lol fanboy!" at me, I'll explain.

First, lol isn't perfect. The mindset of "that looks good, let's nerf it" can be rather disappointing sometimes. Having to unlock content can be kinda difficult with current IP gains, and sometimes things that NEED to be taken care of get swept under the rug for far too long.

That said: the DotA experience is nowhere near as fun on MANY levels. Ever been stun juggled? Yeah, not fun. And stuns are WAY long over there. Stun-lock is a serious buzz-kill.

Ever seen the player base over there? We complain about trolls. They have more leavers than I've ever seen in LoL, period. Leaving is a part of their subculture. "Don't touch my creeps or I'll leave" has been said no less than 3 times today in games I was in. Also, fountain farmers. Yeah, everyone likes to have a nice post-game score every now and then.... Out of the few games I played, I saw fountain farmers in half. (if you don't know what that is, that's where you ace the enemy team near end, and just sit there repeatedly killing them at spawn, it's far more possible in dota than in lol)

Dota has many GOOD concepts going for it, but they also are missing out. Denying is useful, and for the more hardcore players, a great thing. But it also makes games a lot slower. There's a few really awesome items over there too. (bottle, divine rapier). But the "carry" mindset really kills things.

TLDR: After playing both, I'm still here and will remain here. There are many toxic gameplay factors in dota that take away from the gaming experience.
they have leavers because its beta and there is no tribunal or anything yet

you need to play the ACTUAL game to be able to enjoy it

what would u think lol would be if everyone just left after they died

MuppetLing

09-17-2012

Quote:
Ever seen the player base over there? We complain about trolls. They have more leavers than I've ever seen in LoL, period. Leaving is a part of their subculture.
Completely opinion based, i've had a great experience over at dota 2 with actually rarely a feeder or leaver(could be i have a higher skill pool in dota, but none the less).

I often finding myself playing LoL a lot more because of this:
Quote:
makes games a lot slower
. Not that i agree with your points, they are completely wrong, but Dota tends to drag out because of no surrender option, and often the opposing team chooses to drag it out just for fun. Plus LoL is a lot easier to play, which makes thing a lot less stressful and more enjoyable even during a loss.

All that aside, i enjoy both games and despise fanboys from either side.

The Good Guy

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDeh View Post
If 2 AD carries are in bot lane in LoL and both are last hitting effectively, the minions die.

If 2 AD carries are in bot lane in DotA and both are last hitting + denying effectively, the minions die faster.

Where this mentality of "denying = slower" came from I'll never know. It's very far from the truth.

Champions push lanes 100x faster than minions will. Being able to control and deny your enemy is a good thing, not a bad thing. However, my comments will never change opinion that over here.
The lack of gold on AD carries prompts them to spend extended time farming the lanes in the middle/middle-late game, causing their teams to be wary of any teamfights and effectively drawing out the inaction the exists early game into middle game.

Arceanaux

09-17-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqgoKHYSY0
Really, this is why I still play LoL

Suddenly Corgis

09-17-2012

I play with bots because I get confused a lot... : ( Its okay to say that op.

Seriously, because of Lol.. I'm just lost half the time with everything I do on dota2. xDD

The Stormchaser

09-17-2012

i'm honestly tired of the whole lol vs dota comparisons whatnot.

why are we still talking about other games in a league forum. i understand it is worth discussing, but this is the xth amt of times we've all seen this

Fishous

09-17-2012

Gold on death is annoying. It makes you even more reliant on your team and when you can usually come back in League, in Dota 2 a few early deaths snowball into a loss.

12345 ... 6