Counter to Jayce Top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RF Legendary

09-17-2012

irelia counters jayce.
trust me

Hardbuttpounding

09-17-2012

Rumble is good v.s Jayce, especially after a Ryleis. Just take Exhaust.

Sexy Suz

09-17-2012

As a jax main he definitely DOES NOT beat jayce in lane. Yes if you get jungle ganks, you can come out ahead (obviously) but assuming situations are equal, jax will lose.

MrGrimm999

The Council

09-17-2012

I main jayce and have faced every matchup. Best people to counter a jayce is someone who has in this order:

1. Sustain
2. Gap closer
3. CC with burst

OR, just crazy crazy sustain and punishment if jayce gets close.

Lets see who can do that well.

1. Irelia, once she gets sustain and true damage + her ult, she can punish jayce hard for farming. She will outcs him and if he blows up the creep waves while harassing, he pushes the lane, almost no one farms free cs at the tower better than irelia, he will be overextended and easily ganked by irelia + jungler.

2. Lee sin, this is mostly about the jungler, Lee sin vs jayce is an even matchup if lee maxes shield for the sustain and gets armor and more sustain. As time goes on and lee gets a wriggles, he can ignore all of jayce's harass and can out cs him if jayce focuses on harassing, lee will win the lane via cs and scale better midgame because of it.

3. Swain, believe it or not, at 6, swain has crazy harass and sustain, and if jayce dares try to combo him by getting into melee range, swain can root and far outharass him, end up zoning him hard.

4. Vlad... well, vlad early game is pretty terrible vs Jayce and he if he isn't careful, he will get owned. But if you manage to make it to level 7 or so, you can start to sustain more than jayce can harass and is a beast in teamfights.

5. Kennen, similar to swain, at level 6, jayce has to be really careful jumping in but no one plays him anymore top.

6. Yorick... doesn't really beat Jayce, but can outfarm/outsustain him.

7. I good malphite can beat Jayce, if he is careful, he can poke with q and still get cs, unfortunately, a good jayce will level e, buy lifesteal and be able to come back after a few items and outcs the malphite, but it will depend on the team comp, a malphite might be better for the team depending on the makeup.

8. Xin - has everything you need to counter jayce, just build some lifesteal, a phage and ninja tabi. Xin can sustain well, punish jayce if he jumps in on him, and his gap closer is on a faster cd than jayces escapes, so you can chain punish jayce if he isn't careful. He has burst, sustain, and a cc gap closer.

9. Nunu - doesn't really beat jayce, but like yorick, is immovable from the lane and can run jayce out of mana trying to harass, at this point he just keeps throwing snowballs until jayce has to go heal, he can actually get more cs than jayce in the lane doing this. This forces jayce to blow a lot of money on lifesteal and health potions if he wants to stay in the lane, he won't snowball like jayce needs to do and will not be as useful in teamfights, this largly makes the lane a stalemate and your team will be the deciding factor, but sometimes, this is all you need. If you nullify jayce's snowball and deny him cs, if the enemy team is up by just a little bit, jayce can be shutdown hard.

Things that do NOT counter jayce.

Riven - A good jayce can keep riven away with e and harass her forcing her to go back to base and miss lots of cs as he pushes to the tower
Jax - same as riven, the jungler needs to camp top early, if jax managers to score a kill early and gets ahead of jayce, he can stay ahead hard, but you have to have jungler intervention, jayce vs jax alone, jayce will win everytime
Teemo - Jayce hardcounters teemo it is not even funny, Every time I lane against a teemo I get at least 4 kills early and snowball
Cho Goth - Too easy to dodge his q and you get punished too hard if jayce maxes e vs your health pool
Darious - hammer mode, q w e disengage, when darious pulls you, gate away and q, jayce wins the exchange everytime
Garen - pretty much same as darious

In a nutshell, the best counters are irelia, xin, swain. Lee sin, Malphite, Vlad, Nunu can be better for the enemy team midgame depending on team makeup even though they don't directly counter jayce.

InVaSiOnArY

09-17-2012

Wait you think xin can counter jayce???

No really the best counter to jayce is sivir.

Levgre

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 View Post
I main jayce and have faced every matchup. Best people to counter a jayce is someone who has in this order:

1. Sustain
2. Gap closer
3. CC with burst

1. Irelia, once she gets sustain and true damage + her ult, she can punish jayce hard for farming. She will outcs him and if he blows up the creep waves while harassing, he pushes the lane, almost no one farms free cs at the tower better than irelia, he will be overextended and easily ganked by irelia + jungler.

2. Lee sin, this is mostly about the jungler, Lee sin vs jayce is an even matchup if lee maxes shield for the sustain and gets armor and more sustain. As time goes on and lee gets a wriggles, he can ignore all of jayce's harass and can out cs him if jayce focuses on harassing, lee will win the lane via cs and scale better midgame because of it.

3. Swain, believe it or not, at 6, swain has crazy harass and sustain, and if jayce dares try to combo him by getting into melee range, swain can root and far outharass him, end up zoning him hard.

4. Vlad... well, vlad early game is pretty terrible vs Jayce and he if he isn't careful, he will get owned. But if you manage to make it to level 7 or so, you can start to sustain more than jayce can harass and is a beast in teamfights.

5. Kennen, similar to swain, at level 6, jayce has to be really careful jumping in but no one plays him anymore top.

7. I good malphite can beat Jayce, if he is careful, he can poke with q and still get cs, unfortunately, a good jayce will level e, buy lifesteal and be able to come back after a few items and outcs the malphite, but it will depend on the team comp, a malphite might be better for the team depending on the makeup.

8. Xin - has everything you need to counter jayce, just build some lifesteal, a phage and ninja tabi. Xin can sustain well, punish jayce if he jumps in on him, and his gap closer is on a faster cd than jayces escapes, so you can chain punish jayce if he isn't careful. He has burst, sustain, and a cc gap closer.

Riven
Jax
Teemo
Cho Goth
Darious
Garen

In a nutshell, the best counters are irelia, xin, swain. Lee sin, Malphite, and Vlad can be better for the enemy team midgame depending on team makeup even though they don't directly counter jayce.
I don't know how you can say Cho doesn't counter Jayce when Cho has the requirements you stated to a T. He has incredible sustain, enough to take on Yorick, and has CC AND burst with punishment if Jayce gets close. Maybe you have only played vs bad Cho's, the Cho does need strong knowledge on Jayce and solid counterplay. If you don't build armor to shrug off ranged poke you can easily get into trouble. I just laugh when Jayce tries to poke me down and I kill minions to recover the damage he did. 100+ armor is usually enough.

Btw for maining Jayce your record is not great at all (29-28), nor is that even a ton of games, really.

Epicalypse

09-17-2012

any champ with good sustain can lane well against him in my opinion. vlad does pretty well. im not a yorik player but i assume he works i do fine as mordekaiser. cho. its not so much a champ that counters him directly its more knowing how to play against him in my opinion. pretty much just dodge his q shot and you should be able to do fine

MrGrimm999

The Council

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levgre View Post
I don't know how you can say Cho doesn't counter Jayce when Cho has the requirements you stated to a T. He has incredible sustain, enough to take on Yorick, and has CC AND burst with punishment if Jayce gets close. Maybe you have only played vs bad Cho's, the Cho does need strong knowledge on Jayce and solid counterplay. If you don't build armor to shrug off ranged poke you can easily get into trouble. I just laugh when Jayce tries to poke me down and I kill minions to recover the damage he did. 100+ armor is usually enough.

Btw for maining Jayce your record is not great at all (29-28), nor is that even a ton of games, really.
Ok, I will agree on cho a little. WIth jayce vs cho, you have to admit that jayce as the advantage early on. Yes late when cho has 100+ armor with a FR and ninja taibi he can ignore jayce harass but the lane phase is probably over by now. Early on, jayce can outharass cho sustain with little recourse. This usually ends up netting jayce a kill without heavy jungle interference. Jayce can start to snowball at this point. Yes if cho manages to not die and just farms, he will be a little behind in cs to jayce but mid/late game, a cho that has FR will contribute quite a lot to his team and if jayce isn't fed, he isn't going to be as much of an impact.

This still means that jayce has an early game advantage, the rest is up to your team and jungler. Most of the time I play a cho goth, I have gotten a few kills early which has allowed me to roam a bit and gank mid or the enemy jungle. If the other team is ahead though, and cho doesn't die, then yes, cho will make more of a difference in team fights than jayce.

Jakey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

Yorick, Riven, and Nidalee are all decent picks against Jayce.

CGGCAGGAATAA

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm999 View Post

1. Sustain
2. Gap closer
3. CC with burst

9. Nunu - doesn't really beat jayce, but like yorick, is immovable from the lane and can run jayce out of mana trying to harass, at this point he just keeps throwing snowballs until jayce has to go heal, he can actually get more cs than jayce in the lane doing this. This forces jayce to blow a lot of money on lifesteal and health potions if he wants to stay in the lane, he won't snowball like jayce needs to do and will not be as useful in teamfights, this largly makes the lane a stalemate and your team will be the deciding factor, but sometimes, this is all you need. If you nullify jayce's snowball and deny him cs, if the enemy team is up by just a little bit, jayce can be shutdown hard.

Riven - A good jayce can keep riven away with e and harass her forcing her to go back to base and miss lots of cs as he pushes to the tower
Jax - same as riven, the jungler needs to camp top early, if jax managers to score a kill early and gets ahead of jayce, he can stay ahead hard, but you have to have jungler intervention, jayce vs jax alone, jayce will win everytime
Teemo - Jayce hardcounters teemo it is not even funny, Every time I lane against a teemo I get at least 4 kills early and snowball
Cho Goth - Too easy to dodge his q and you get punished too hard if jayce maxes e vs your health pool
Darious - hammer mode, q w e disengage, when darious pulls you, gate away and q, jayce wins the exchange everytime
Garen - pretty much same as darious

In a nutshell, the best counters are irelia, xin, swain. Lee sin, Malphite, Vlad, Nunu can be better for the enemy team midgame depending on team makeup even though they don't directly counter jayce.
Yorick and lee sin are really the only points I can agree with. Get some mana regen from runes and masteries and don't put any points in w or ult.