Will anything EVER be done to compensate for a 4v5?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

09-17-2012

I think the lesser "snow balling" in Dominion is really referring to the fact that "it is not over until the game is finally over" rule-of-thumb. When it comes to AFK's, it is not really relevant.

Personally, I just wait for the "report X" before I know someone is AFK. Because for some strange reason, the other team thinks "telling the other team that we are down a man making them know they have an incredible advantage is the smart thing to do because statistically the winning team is less likely to report a player."

Wait, what?

67chrome

09-17-2012

At least Dominion doesn't last to long, so when someone leaves the game ends pretty fast. Even with how anti-snowbally CS tends to be compared to SR, that 1 man advantage generally turns every confrontation into a 1 man advantage or disadvantage. They win a 4 vs. 3 and send someone bot, win a 2 vs. 1 and a few meat up in the jungle, win a 3 vs. 2. It's pretty disheartening, but at least it's over fast, unlike SR, TT, or especially PG were having more experiance gains can make a difference, or turteling and picking fights under your own turrets is viable enough to make up a 1 man shortage.

With how short Dominion is I don't see much of what could be implemented though. The new change to matchmaking seems to have helped alleviate a sizable amount of my AFKer matches, so I'd say matchmaking is the only really viable spot. And if someone leaves in the middle of a game you can always report them and hope they get banned.

MajorUrsa

09-17-2012

I think the mechanics of the map have to change.

In a 4v5 the team with the DC either needs a team-wide buff, increasing their damage and sustain enough to compete with a man down.

Or we need to see the map dynamics altered to give the team with a man down a relative advantage. Disabling the mid-point of the advantaged team would force them to either win bot, or win and hold the opposing teams mid to deal damage to the nexus. While they defending team is still at a disadvantage (passive gold gain increase to make up for defensive play? could be a solution without the disable), however the other team must now capture and hold one of the harder to hold points at bot or mid.

Problems with this: Back-capping becomes more difficult. I dont see this as a huge problem, because in a 4v5 backcapping isnt the best idea anyways because it puts players defending the points you own at a serious disadvantage.

lbgsloan

09-17-2012

As Fdru said, most decent (decent as in skill, not as in good sportsmanship) teams will instantly backcap or gank bottom 24/7 once they realize you're down a player. Once bottom or mid is lost, it is pretty much impossible to ever recover 4v5. I've been in games where we were up ~400-200, someone goes AFK, we lose 0-160 as we get overrun and 5-capped.

If they can't give an XP or gold bonus to the team that's down a player in fear of people harassing bad players to quit, I would at least like to see a bot take over. I don't care if bots are dumb, at least they do SOMETHING. There are many 4v5 games against mediocre teams that could have been salvaged with an AI taking over.

FDru

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
As Fdru said, most decent (decent as in skill, not as in good sportsmanship) teams will instantly backcap or gank bottom 24/7 once they realize you're down a player. Once bottom or mid is lost, it is pretty much impossible to ever recover 4v5. I've been in games where we were up ~400-200, someone goes AFK, we lose 0-160 as we get overrun and 5-capped.

If they can't give an XP or gold bonus to the team that's down a player in fear of people harassing bad players to quit, I would at least like to see a bot take over. I don't care if bots are dumb, at least they do SOMETHING. There are many 4v5 games against mediocre teams that could have been salvaged with an AI taking over.
The only way I'd ever be in favor of a bot replacing a player is if the bot rewarded zero gold on death.

bkhc

09-17-2012

How about an option that pops up to vote a teammate to sub off until the other side's DC comes back online? If no one votes, it randomly selects a player and puts them into spectate.

However, I think the idea mentioned above would require more coding to implement than say ideas such as: a team having tower buffs with more damage, more resilience to creep or player capture, or disabled mid buff, etc.

Genericke

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithis View Post
Maybe let our nexus health decrease slower. Something. ANYTHING.
Please not this. I really don't need a guaranteed losing game to get drawn out for even longer if the person never comes back.

lbgsloan

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhc View Post
How about an option that pops up to vote a teammate to sub off until the other side's DC comes back online? If no one votes, it randomly selects a player and puts them into spectate.

However, I think the idea mentioned above would require more coding to implement than say ideas such as: a team having tower buffs with more damage, more resilience to creep or player capture, or disabled mid buff, etc.
Again, that runs into a situation where people would rage at a bad players to quit because they're worse than a random player on the enemy team. You can't make the 'drop compensation' better than what an unskilled player would have contributed to a team or it WILL cause problems. Improving towers isn't a bad idea though.

Lasterus

09-27-2012

Gonna bump this

Aetherion1234567

09-28-2012

Here's my opinion on this: suppose the current client can perfectly detect when someone has disconnected (this is not completely accurate, but is something to be discussed elsewhere). In the case that one player has gone afk, just increase the gold/exp/both for the team that is down one player to a point that gives a 50/50 chance of winning (the amount would of course have to be decided after extensive testing by Riot). The main problem that I see with this idea is that it gives a slightly unfair advantage to the bottom laner who has an afk teammate, as they now inherently outscale their opponent, which forces the other team to start ganking bot more. However, this in turn forces top to be a 3v3 with one side having an inherent gold/exp advantage over the other. Ultimately, if this idea were to be implemented, the team without the afk would have to be more careful of how they distribute their players. As such, there ought to be some clear signal to both teams that one team has an afk.