Why are first picks always stupid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarbonWyre

09-16-2012

I've won almost 5 ranked games in a row no thanks to out first picks. Last game the bans looked something like Mord, Lux, Blitzcrank. He wanted to ban Morg as the 3rd but the other 4 of us were typing it in all caps in the chat over and over again. His reasoning? "I'm going mid so I get to pick who I dont want to fight" -.-

Razor 9mm

09-16-2012

Because they usually pick the lane they want (most likely top or mid) and just get counter picked.

King Leopold III

09-16-2012

I think its just coincidence. 2 games ago i had a first pick ap mid varus. He fed hard.
the next game he was against me and was playing ad varus. he also fed hard. I think you keep track of bad players more easily when they also happen to be the first pick. There's just a lot of bad players.

CarbonWyre

09-16-2012

I started using LoLking to look up the players on my team before I get into the game so I know what to expect. I just think it's sad that firstpick has turned from "Ya you get to pick who we ban" to "HA! I'm first I get whatever position I want no matter what others think."

AdmiralAardvark

09-16-2012

If i am low pick and get called off of mid (which i always ask for) then i at least tell the guy to pick me a support and i will pick him whatever mid he wants.

CarbonWyre

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAardvark View Post
If i am low pick and get called off of mid (which i always ask for) then i at least tell the guy to pick me a support and i will pick him whatever mid he wants.
The last first pick I was with tried to make me do that. He instalocked Alistar and told me to pick his AD and I'll play Ali. And I was like...Well I don't have the runes for that and I don't play him at all. And he got so mad and was like YOU WANTED HIM and I was like...no, I didn't. :?

bladeofwill

09-16-2012

Quote:
the other 4 of us were typing it in all caps in the chat over and over again
Sounds like you were partly to blame. If I see 4 people acting like whiny entitled jerks who think they know better, it greatly decreases the amount of effort I am willing to put into working with them.

Cattlyst

09-16-2012

It's probably bias. A lot of people will analyze every little thing that the first pick does so that they can blame them for anything that goes wrong later. I know when I do something unconventional (I like to ban corki/ezreal/graves), the whine alert goes off and 1-2 people will start screaming. I had someone blame their bad cs as Ashe on my banning out "all of the carries".

freepointzs

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonWyre View Post
I started using LoLking to look up the players on my team before I get into the game so I know what to expect. I just think it's sad that firstpick has turned from "Ya you get to pick who we ban" to "HA! I'm first I get whatever position I want no matter what others think."
well to be fair first pick has also turned from I have the right to choose what lane I want to we all called a lane before you so your playing the role thats left

CarbonWyre

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofwill View Post
Sounds like you were partly to blame. If I see 4 people acting like whiny entitled jerks who think they know better, it greatly decreases the amount of effort I am willing to put into working with them.
So what you're saying is you're one of those people that bans whoever they don't want to see in their lane but doesn't give any consideration to anyone else in the game.