AP Support Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Porkbellytacos

09-18-2012

Just an idea i've been playing around with. Its simple, going support malphite but with an emphasis on getting some AP/Poking. Was thinking MPen Reds, Flat Armor Yellows, then either MPen Blues or Armor Blues-- can't really decide. Either the Gold Quints, or Movement speed.

Masteries: 10(getting MPen)/0/20 (getting CDR)

First two items: philo stone, kage's pick. Never stop buying wards, but as you get more gold feeling free to buy some AP items.

The reason I like this build is just because it makes the poke so so strong. Any other ideas? Theorycrafting invited.

Deswartz

09-18-2012

Support malph just doesn't seem to work that well for me. He is a tanky ap and malphite is much better in the top lane.

If you don't get kills/assists you will fall behind and become one squishy rock. Malphite needs health to dive and be aggressive.

The poke his q provides just takes too much mana to be effective in the long run. It will run out way too fast and your CDR runes won't help much.

There are just so many better choices for heal support or a bruiser cc lane.

Smart players will shut you down and if you face 2 ranged your kinda boned.

Just my thoughts, have tried it and it didn't work out.

DragoonRampage

09-18-2012

Malphite can work as a support but not the way you are wanting him to be. The issue is you are wanting him to be getting AP type items but as a support you really dont have much space in your inventory for that especially since he has to be tanky as well. You could get an Abysall or something I guess, but much beyond that is a stretch.

Porkbellytacos

09-18-2012

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/34251383#history

done it twice in normals. probably wouldn't take it to ranked. here's the thing, in the first game you see up there, we got rocked early game due to lack of jg support. but the two GP5's I was able to keep up with my wards and i started getting AP items.

In team fights I'd slam their backline and melt their adc really fast, on my own. I'm not saying its tier 1, or that he works better support then bot lane, but it has some interesting perks.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2012

You might try getting in MOAR pokes instead of strengthing what you already have.

With a 0.6 AP ratio and 1.0 ult ratio, AP isn't super efficient on Malph. Instead, if you got CDR you could spam faster which is a much more efficient way of dealing damage with him. Also, you get to re-apply the EFFECTS of Slow/AS-debuff much more often!
Having enough mana to do this early game is valuable too, which Philo stone helps. (chalice is ideal)

All that said, a support Malph doesn't really bring much to the table lategame. He has no real utility at range and MUST BE IN THE FIGHT to do useful stuff.
So he really needs to be TANKY and not be focusing on AP. Then he can apply his auras and debuffs and be a great initiator.

Fortunately this works together somewhat. A Malphite with a Frozen Heart and Shureyes has maxed CDR with either Defensive or Utility masteries, plus have bonus health, tons of armor. That means he can spam like crazy... AND be tough enough to survive.