Middle in Ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neurotoxin

09-18-2012

I have played 3 ranked so far, lost one and won one as support, and won another as morgana mid. I felt like the only reason I won mid was due to the power of the champ I chose, and was wondering if anyone had tips on how to successfully play middle in ranked. I am trying pretty hard to win the placement matches because I want to get to gold before the end of this season.

IKorey

09-18-2012

I like anivia, is really good if you get good with her, because the walls can create amazing choke points.

Enfillyon

09-18-2012

Know your matchups in mid. Morg is a solid mid having positive matches against typical mid lanes, so she is safe to pick first. If you pick your mid before they pick theirs though you are allowing them to counterpick you.

Kassadin, LeBlanc and Fizz have the ability to counter most mids but because they are able to prevent abilities from hitting or being cast while providing burst

Galio is the counter to AP in general because he can stack MR and still do damage but you dont want to FP him because it opens up the possibility of unorthodox mids like pantheon, talon, or even riven.

Ahri, Ryze, and Vlad, all have relatively neutral matchups and are safe to pick early and winning lane would then be reliant on player skill.

If you are the leader and want mid but dont plan on playing morg you can instead choose to ban your champions counters, but keep in mind you want to ban any problem champs as well. The alternative would be to communicate with your teammates and hope they will swap champs with you granted you have each others champions.

Theres a lot to be said about mid lane but those are just general tips.

A common laning strategy I use is to shove the lane and then roam top or bot, pull a quick gank then return to farming without missing cs. Ive played a decent amount of jungle and I can say that sometimes you need help ganking lanes that are struggling and most of the time that help comes from mid. It constantly pushes numbers advantages into the opposing teams face.

As the AP carry your effectiveness shines in the early-mid game so while that is still going you need to maximize it by helping your other lanes transition into lategame. Some prefer to passively farm mid but I like to make passive-aggressive plays that utilizes harassment in the form of farming. Its subtle damage that stacks over time and effectively baits the enemy into a mismatch when they decide to go all in.

The idea is that rather than being a good player who needs to carry, you should be the player that makes his team good so they can carry. You can force a surrender but the only sure way to win is to kill the nexus and if it goes to lategame you need to let the AD carry do their job.

I dont normally lose against my opponent in mid, that being said however, i wont always get mid and I wont always be able to help out my teammates enough for them to win their lanes. If you lose a game dont get discouraged, there are just some things beyond your control and you cant get frustrated over it.