☆☆☆ Signs of NEGATIVE ATTITUDE ☆☆☆

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

09-15-2012

Negative Attitude is one of the types of violation of the Summoner's Code that badly behaving players are punished for.

This is a spotlight discussion on Negative Attitude to supplement the learning process for Tribunal supporters.

Not everyone may agree with what is written here however everyone is encouraged to share their opinions so long as they keep it civil and back up their opinions with legitimate reasoning.

From [A Guide to Tribunal]:

Negative Attitude - This violation usually occurs when a player makes negative remarks in chat about his/her allies or the progress of the match. This can include complaining about how poorly oneself or an ally is performing, or saying that the match has been lost before it is over. Repeatedly putting up the surrender vote window when the rest of the team is still trying to win can also be considered "negative attitude". Asking for advice or giving genuine tips without insulting remarks would be the reasonable act in a bad situation but code violators tend to treat others poorly instead, thus being marked for "negative attitude". Poor sportsmanship could fall under "Negative Attitude", in which the code violator points out the enemy team's failures unnecessarily or accuses them of cheating when they have not done so.

------------------------------------

How does Negative Attitude affect your game when it's your own teammate?

The loss of team morale and breakdown of communication that can occur as a result of Negative Attitude. This can destroy the team's synergy in many ways, sometimes dramatically; leading to a loss for the victimized team.

How does Negative Attitude affect your game when it's an enemy player?

A match can be fun even when it's a loss but Negative Attitude can sully whatever fun you might have had during the match by turning that fun memory into a bitter memory. It's a detriment to enjoyment when a player rubs salt on your wounds. Trash talk is tolerable to a certain extent but there are lines (not necessarily determined by quantity rather than quality or vice versa) that shouldn't be crossed.

Now how do we determine when lines are crossed? That's what this discussion seeks to facilitate.

Keep in mind that a potentially large proportion of the player community may be under-aged so many might not quite understand what you're saying or know things that seem natural to you as a result of your experiences.

So here is a potentially growing list of signs of Negative Attitude that may be updated as the thread discussion progresses.

1. Refusal to communicate with your team - Your allies try to communicate with you to enhance the team's cooperative gameplay but you refuse to respond to anyone, and perhaps refuse to respond when an ally asks for help or advice. This can hinder the team's strategy during the match and hurt the overall morale.

2. Berating and belittling your allies - Your allies make some subpar choices or perform badly during the match. Instead of offering helpful advice or assistance, you make them feel worse about themselves than they already do by pointing out their faults and describing them in a harsh light.

Here are some examples of the signs you might see in chat that suggest this is going on.

"my team is so bad", "this Veigar", "you're so bad", "report Ashe for unskilled plz", "****ty jungler can't gank"

3. Refusal to cooperate with your team - Your allies are trying to form a cohesive group strategy but you refuse to help them whatsoever.

Examples of this might include the following:

-Picking a certain role when there has already been a player for that role established on your team despite your allies asking you to play something else. This becomes more harshly viewed as you reach higher levels where you are expected to know about the division of team roles in the game.

-Standing by or going somewhere else when your presence could have made a significant difference in a team/lane battle. This is not always obvious though. It becomes most transparent when your ally asks you for help (but you don't help).

4. Bullying allies - When you try to intimidate allies, it will have an obviously detrimental effect on team cooperation and morale. A lot of players were suspended during an audit this summer for using the report system as a tool of bullying.

"/all Report Ahri for trolling plz"

"Give me blue or we're going to report you"

"I'm going to have your account permabanned if you don't do what I say"

"Dude I'm going to find out where you live and..."

"Mid or I feed"

5. Defeatist stance - It's still early in the match but you completely give up on trying to win and maintain this mindset, carrying it into your communication in chat, until the end of the match no matter what. You either start running around your base or wander around aimlessly telling everyone on your team to surrender or that the game is over instead of contributing anything helpful. The chat aspect is not always considered a transgression because sometimes the advantage taken by the enemy team can be overwhelmingly huge.

NOTE: If it's only a few minutes in and a player starts putting up a defeatist stance, then that can adversely affect the rest of the match, potentially snowballing into a breakdown of team cooperation and communication. A defeatist can be just as bad as an afker in this way because a player having the attitude may be perceived as a potential intentional feeder or afker/leaver, forcing the rest of the team to rethink how they fit that player into the gameplay (can be very disruptive to the flow of the team).

EDIT: Added the part about maintaining the mindset after EPBF Kilroy brought up a good point.

EDIT: Bringing up a point by iatre, added a bit of text about early game morale hits.

"I'm done"
"We're done"
"Surrender at 20 plz"

JohnnyOmega

09-15-2012

I added "Bullying allies" to the list. That was a big issue during the report system abuse ban wave.

JohnnyOmega

09-16-2012

I added "defeatist stance" to the list. I've seen it happen even just a few minutes into the match.

Mr Serious Pants

09-16-2012

Defeatist stance: Meh

I see this in at least 50% of the games I play...hell. I'm even guilty of it. When compared to the others, I don't feel it fits here. It's a mindset that is easily altered with proper teamwork and support. You can't alter the jerk's mindset once he starts belittling teammates, for example.

JohnnyOmega

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPBF Kilroy View Post

I see this in at least 50% of the games I play...hell. I'm even guilty of it. When compared to the others, I don't feel it fits here. It's a mindset that is easily altered with proper teamwork and support. You can't alter the jerk's mindset once he starts belittling teammates, for example.
You bring up a good point. I've tweaked the wording a bit to try and make it fit.

I've added a part where it is a stance that one maintains until the end of the match no matter what, despite proper teamwork and support coming into play.

Also tweaked the last sentence, mentioning that there is leeway for chat depending on the circumstances.

iatre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPBF Kilroy View Post

There's a difference between a game at 30 minutes when the enemy team has you by several levels, and are pushing your base (while you have no towers down against them), and saying "surrender at 20" at 6 minutes when your team is 0-2. In the latter case, it absolutely does fit here.

JohnnyOmega

09-16-2012

Based on the point iatre brought up, I've added a NOTE text to "defeatist stance", about what can happen to a team's morale and gameplay when a player adopts a defeatist stance so early in the match.

JohnnyOmega

09-16-2012

bump before zzz

LANimalsBuffs

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Your allies try to communicate with you to enhance the team's cooperative gameplay but you refuse to respond to anyone, and perhaps refuse to respond when an ally asks for help or advice. This can hinder the team's strategy during the match and hurt the overall morale.
Perhaps, they are busy trying to stay alive, or feel they should not have to babysit if they have more things to worry about, last hitting, map awareness, wanting that kill, experience, gold for item, pussycat, hunger level, hydration, bladder control, the possible phone call from girlfriend, hair follicle growing abnormal and is itching his beard, pushing a lane.

Noob: "How to not die help me please, pro you 18/0 tell me"
*Pro trying to last hit morgana before she gets her blackshield up*

Pro: Um...yea .. so you buy potions, right, and then ask the support to follow you becuase you are an important ass to the team."

*dies to morgana, who's autoattacking him while he types*

Pro: muda ......"
Noob: "okay thank you! <3333"

*not a really serious statement, all for fun, but there is some issues not fully explained*

Rueian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

Punish players for getting morale broken... good job.

With randoms you can't trust your team, either you carry or you lose. Its hard to not get morale broken if you are doing poorly or if your team is doing poorly though the latter is often expected.