How to carry as a support in ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caristinn

09-15-2012

I recently hit level 30 and decided to jump into ranked due to having 2 full rune pages and a good amount of champions for each role. It couldn't be that bad-- my normal elo is ~1400 and starting ranked is roughly 1200.

Dead wrong. For some reason, it seems like players are worse in ranked than they are in normals, from banning to picking to actually playing.

1) Darius and Diana bans. Darius and Diana bans everywhere. For some reason people think they're overpowered. People will seriously ban them instead of somebody like Shaco, Alistar, or Blitzcrank.

2) Poor communication in champion select. Good luck finding out who's playing what role, and everyone is incredibly stubborn about the one they've chosen. You'll frequently hear "i don't have any support champions." There's no sense in arguing against them, because you just know they'll throw a tantrum and feed. They'll probably feed anyways, but I digress.

3) People have no idea how to pick. Teemo the AD carry? Check. A Hecarim on top lane? Why not. Kassadin with clairvoyance and buying mana potions because "he has mana issues"? You bet.

4) The mentality that trying to get kills is more important than csing.

So, after a while of "mid or i feed" and "TOP, I'M TOP. what do you mean it's a bad idea to firstpick top. i assure you, tryndamere cannot possibly be counterpicked in any way shape or form", you'll find that the only role that isn't going to get called is support.

Unfortunately, playing support at low elo seems to be like watching a trainwreck while having your eyes gouged out by a rusty knife and being punched in the ********s. Sure, you can make calls and set up the big plays-- but as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Just for example:

-Bot lane near our outer turret. I'm 60% hp and oom, Kassadin has almost no mana and is 15% hp. This Kassadin also has 40 cs at the 20 minute mark. Diana, having 8 kills, is roughly 20% hp and sitting in the brush near the turret. Naturally, Kassadin would go back to base, right?

No, even though I'm warning pinging like a madman Kassadin rushes in to try to fight Diana where he's promptly slaughtered and she goes on to end the game with 25 kills.

Wards are the same deal. Just because you have vision doesn't mean anyone is actually going to look at the minimap.

So what are you supposed to do when starting ranked? Play support and hope the other team is worse than your team will inevitably be and try to get lucky? Be as stubborn as the "MID OR I FEED" crowd while playing a pubstomper such as Katarina, AP Eve, Diana, Kassadin, etc.?

Empire Ants

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

It's low elo, unforunately, support cannot really carry. Don't get me wrong, support isn't easy to carry with even when you have higher elo, even at 2k, but what you do makes more of a difference.

At low elo, you just have to play something that can out carry anything that can carry on their team, and if you honestly deserve higher elo, you will stomp all over their team and slow down when your elo gets closer to what it deserves to be.

Caristinn

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist99 View Post
It's low elo, unforunately, support cannot really carry. Don't get me wrong, support isn't easy to carry with even when you have higher elo, even at 2k, but what you do makes more of a difference.

At low elo, you just have to play something that can out carry anything that can carry on their team, and if you honestly deserve higher elo, you will stomp all over their team and slow down when your elo gets closer to what it deserves to be.
Damn, really like being support q_q. Will have to save it for duo queueing, I guess.

Will probably try to get top or mid then. Do you suggest dodging if I'm not able to?

Sephnoir

09-15-2012

Honestly, I kind of dug myself into an elo pit playing roles I suck at, but as a support main, I found the easiest way to gain elo at around 1100-1200+ is to never pick a pure support ever, and only pick alistar, taric, and blitz, if you don't **** yourself over like I did, and you stick to support, it's pretty much free elo. ALWAYS BAN ALISTAR IF YOU ARE NOT FIRST PICK.

Sephnoir

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caristinn View Post
Damn, really like being support q_q. Will have to save it for duo queueing, I guess.

Will probably try to get top or mid then. Do you suggest dodging if I'm not able to?

Actually, duo queuing is worse, the other 3 people are horribads 10/10 times, unless your partner is a great ad carry that you sync well with, I wouldn't bother with it.

Christmas White

09-15-2012

In sub 1500 Elo support is literally dead weight on the team. Support players are supposed to enhance the AD carry early game and the entire team late game. You'll quickly see that enhancing low rank players provides no actual benefit to anything besides the growth of these players ego.

Map Awareness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

Ward the **** out of everything.

Caristinn

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephnoir View Post
Honestly, I kind of dug myself into an elo pit playing roles I suck at, but as a support main, I found the easiest way to gain elo at around 1100-1200+ is to never pick a pure support ever, and only pick alistar, taric, and blitz, if you don't **** yourself over like I did, and you stick to support, it's pretty much free elo. ALWAYS BAN ALISTAR IF YOU ARE NOT FIRST PICK.
Yeah, usually play Taric. But it's sometimes -really- hard to actually have the AD respond to a stun (even as Graves. ._.)

Seems like Blitz would be more obvious though hah. Will try that.

Quote:

In sub 1500 Elo support is literally dead weight on the team. Support players are supposed to enhance the AD carry early game and the entire team late game. You'll quickly see that enhancing low rank players provides no actual benefit to anything besides the growth of these players ego.
Really does seem to be the case.

"4 kills? Guess I'm invincible now. FACECHECK HO- oh god Diana taric help pls damnit useless support"

Master of Games

09-15-2012

Blitzcrank. Play him. You can carry your team, might be difficult. If you hit solid hooks, get your AD carry fed and pick good fights. Also, don't be surprised if you are the only one warding since at "unranked" nobody does it.

jimit

09-15-2012

play more ranked