Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What's your stance on the phrase "gg noobs"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WashedLaundry

09-15-2012

Quote:
UglyPete:
The majority of the punished cases are mostly warnings or temporary bans. People that get perma banned are people going through the tribunal multiple times and have banned for short amounts of time. Even if the person gets banned for a couple of days is that so bad?
A forced break from the game for a couple of days could help to really open the offenders eyes.

Yeh but I feel that a ban is an extreme punishment for one specific phrase. Is this wrong? The offender just made a rude comment. That's like taking a man to court for saying that a woman looked damn good in a dress she wore. It comes off as an overreaction.

UglyPete

09-15-2012

Quote:
WashedLaundry:
Yeh but I feel that a ban is an extreme punishment for one specific phrase. Is this wrong? The offender just made a rude comment. That's like taking a man to court for saying that a woman looked damn good in a dress she wore. It comes off as an overreaction.

I think you have to look at it like a sport. If this were the NBA the player could get a technical foul for unsportsmanlike like conduct. You can't look at it like a real life assault case because it's two very different things.

Rigelina

09-15-2012

First, Summoner's Code, Show Humility in Victory:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articles/The_Summoners_Code#6

Quote:
While it’s alright to celebrate, make sure that you keep any gloating (or any other mode of self-indulgence) out of all chat. Instead, thank your opponents for the game. After all, despite their best efforts, they just made you a very happy person.

Second, according to the guidelines (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/guidelines/):

Quote:
Players can be reported and punished for any number of reasons outlined in the Summoner's Code. This includes anything that hurts the community or the health of the game. Make sure you know the tenets of the code to help you make judgments quicker and more effectively.

So, if "GG Noobs" is not Humility in Victory (it is gloating or self-indulgence), it can be reported and punished. On the other hand:

Quote:
"Punish" means that you believe some sort of action should be performed on this player - not necessarily a suspension or ban. It could be a warning or name change.

Basically, it means that people voting pardon on "GG Noobs" believe that no action should be performed. That is consistent with some of the posts defending the position in this thread (some, who simply say they think it warrants a warning but not a ban are not following the guidelines).

On the other hand, the guidelines are kind of bunk:

Quote:
13. Skip is a great option

If for whatever reason you don't want to vote on this case (but you want to continue voting on cases), feel free to skip the case.

But we now know that skipping more than 5 cases in a day results in a deterioration of your score (unfortunately, can't find the red post that stated this). I don't think that score deterioration is consistent with the above guideline.

Mr Serious Pants

09-15-2012

I stand firm.

A simple "gg noobs" in no way impacts the "health of the game".

If you find it offensive, what is wrong with you, that is allowing something so childish and simple to offend you so greatly?

I can click Punish on Case 1 because someone ended with "gg fa****s" but I can't immediately click Punish on my second case because the ONLY thing the player said all game long was "gg noobs" at the very end. They're not the same and shouldn't be treated as such.

What offends, reveals.

ArmoredDragonIMO

09-15-2012

Sometimes I rib the enemy by singing the first two stanzas of the portal song:

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here: huge success

Anybody think that would be bannable?